Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Annoying Rattle Finally Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Rattle Finally Resolved

I have an 08 A5 which developed an annoying rattle this summer. Locating a rattle can often be an exercise in frustration since they seem to eminate from a location which has no connection to the rattle. Finally, I was able to zero in on the main location. I noticed that I could reach over and touch the underside of the passenger arm rest and the rattle would dimenish or stop. Next task was to remove the door panel to see what, if anything, had come loose. I didn't want to break anything so I invested in the A4/A5/S5 Technical Repair Manual from Bently Publishers <http://www.bentleypublishers.com/isbn/9780837615547/index.html>. With that in hand, I took successfully removed the door panel without much trouble. Nothing obvious was loose. So I went tapping along the door with my finger and finally found the problem. The cable which actuates the window would vibrate with the car, creating the annoying noise as it vibrated against the inside surface of the metal door. The cable is actually held tightly against the door, but it still vibrated. I fixed the problem by applying some weather stripping between the cable and the door. Been two weeks now and no rattle at all. Used to rattle every time I drove so I'm pretty confident this rattle is no longer. Didn't mind investing in the Repair Manual as it has a lot of useful info for later.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove an A5 at one dealer and it had a rattle. I wonder if that was the same one. It also had a weird sound in the tires and was quite bumpy. I am hoping that it wasn't prepped right and the tires were overinflated. They thought I was kookoo when I said I liked the ride better on the S5 over the A5. Despite the tighter suspension, the S5 felt better. I test drove a Cab later and it rode great and the tires were quiet.

Sorry for the tangent. I am glad you found your problem.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CTRedA5
I have an 08 A5 which developed an annoying rattle this summer. Locating a rattle can often be an exercise in frustration since they seem to eminate from a location which has no connection to the rattle. Finally, I was able to zero in on the main location. I noticed that I could reach over and touch the underside of the passenger arm rest and the rattle would dimenish or stop. Next task was to remove the door panel to see what, if anything, had come loose. I didn't want to break anything so I invested in the A4/A5/S5 Technical Repair Manual from Bently Publishers <http://www.bentleypublishers.com/isbn/9780837615547/index.html>. With that in hand, I took successfully removed the door panel without much trouble. Nothing obvious was loose. So I went tapping along the door with my finger and finally found the problem. The cable which actuates the window would vibrate with the car, creating the annoying noise as it vibrated against the inside surface of the metal door. The cable is actually held tightly against the door, but it still vibrated. I fixed the problem by applying some weather stripping between the cable and the door. Been two weeks now and no rattle at all. Used to rattle every time I drove so I'm pretty confident this rattle is no longer. Didn't mind investing in the Repair Manual as it has a lot of useful info for later.
Thank you for posting the information. Was your rattle just below ear level and sounded more like a buzz?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I noticed the same thing except when I put pressure on the passenger side door inlay the rattle goes away.