Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Another douchebag attack... advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another douchebag attack... advice?

So for the first time since I got the car, I lent it out to my father. As luck would have it, he parks the car in some lot, comes out only to find someone had hit it and knocked off what I believe are the headlight washers, in addition to obviously scraping up the car and the bumper. There's a bit of a dent too though nothing "major". No note was left, so I'm up the creek. I was obviously gutted upon seeing it - not because of the cost or anything... just to know someone would do that and just drive off.

A few questions:

1. how much is this likely to cost?

2. how complicated is this likely to be - looks like some paint work necessary and not sure about the slight denting and headlight plastic being scraped (and of course the plastic piece that came off, which I have).

3. WHO THE HELL DOES THIS AND DOESN'T LEAVE A NOTE?
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe your Pops did it and is trying to pawn it off on others, hence no note! haha

Looks like you will have to have your fron bumper and front quarter resprayed, then w/ the rest of the damage, I would say a few Grand at a top shop.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

A few grand? I was hoping like $800. F Me.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Find a Bumper Medic/Bumper Doctors the dealers use these companies to do blend work. The shoot the bumper $150 U.S. plus the piece you list. No big deal.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wreck111
Find a Bumper Medic/Bumper Doctors the dealers use these companies to do blend work. The shoot the bumper $150 U.S. plus the piece you list. No big deal.
His headlight lens is scratched and the fender panel got a little damage too. It's going to take more than a bumper spray guy to fix this.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toronto S5
A few grand? I was hoping like $800. F Me.
It may not be cheap.

I had my sister-in-law's husband take out the right front fender and headlight on my A5, as well as scrape the crap out of the front bumper...IN HIS DRIVEWAY, because his dumb-*** wife is too f'ing lazy to put gas in her own car. The idiot backed out of his garage to go fill up her car, in the dark, and plowed right into my car. Forgot we were visiting...apparently.

His bill for that "tank of gas in his wife's car" was USD$3,000.00, but my car needed a new headlight & fender, and the shop had to respray the bumper, and blend the paint into the hood, RH mirror & door.

I would bet your repair will be more than the $800, 'cause I have had my LEFT front fender tagged FOUR times in parking lots since the right front was fixed. Each time was a pretty good scrape of the paint, into the primer actually, but those fixes cost USD$450.00 each time.

I feel your pain. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you a5sport. Who did you bring it to? I called the dealer and they referred me to the body shop they own down the road. I assume that's the best place to bring it, since they'll have the right paint, etc. instead of going to some random body shop.

Did you file an insurance claim?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

Insurance claim?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by a5sport
It may not be cheap.

I had my sister-in-law's husband take out the right front fender and headlight on my A5, as well as scrape the crap out of the front bumper...IN HIS DRIVEWAY, because his dumb-*** wife is too f'ing lazy to put gas in her own car. The idiot backed out of his garage to go fill up her car, in the dark, and plowed right into my car. Forgot we were visiting...apparently.

His bill for that "tank of gas in his wife's car" was USD$3,000.00, but my car needed a new headlight & fender, and the shop had to respray the bumper, and blend the paint into the hood, RH mirror & door.

I would bet your repair will be more than the $800, 'cause I have had my LEFT front fender tagged FOUR times in parking lots since the right front was fixed. Each time was a pretty good scrape of the paint, into the primer actually, but those fixes cost USD$450.00 each time.

I feel your pain. Good luck.
This is how I am looking at it. Sure, you can take it to Earl Scheib haha, but if you want to do it right and maintain the value of your Audi, it needs to all be properly resprayed. A good shop will not just paint the areas of damage on your bumper and front quarter, unless the car is almost brand new. You will need a resprayed bumper and quarter, body work a news lenses / markers. What's your deductible? Aren't you going to run it thru ins??
Old 06-10-2012, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toronto S5
Thank you a5sport. Who did you bring it to? I called the dealer and they referred me to the body shop they own down the road. I assume that's the best place to bring it, since they'll have the right paint, etc. instead of going to some random body shop.
My experience with the body shops recommended by dealers is not very good. In fact, the worst body shop experience I've ever had is one referred by an Audi dealer. The best body shop experiences I've had are from small independent shops where the owner is the person I was dealing with, and they had a passion for doing great work rather than just cranking out insurance jobs day after day. A quality high-end shop will be able to get the right parts and match the paint. Just find the best body shop in your area, and ignore what the dealer says, IMHO.

It really sucks how much this stuff costs -- believe me, I know. But in the long run it's worth it to make your car look right. Don't cheap out.

Quick Reply: Another douchebag attack... advice?