Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Anybody owned both an S5 and an M6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anybody owned both an S5 and an M6?

I'm considering selling my S5 for something new, thinking of an M6.

Does anybody have any input on the M6? I can't imagine it would handle as well as the S5 (due to weight).. but how about acceleration/overall power/etc?

-Brett
Old 06-15-2009, 05:03 PM
caf
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 6ers are ugly, but looks are subjective.

The cabs are extremely heavy. The most prevalent topic on the 6er forums has nothing to do with driving the car. Most of the discussions are concerned with how big of a wheel they can fit underneath. My theory is that the wheels are to distract the observer from the car itself!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

M6 is a but ugly bangled car....plus its ghetto with 20 inch wheels...It looks like a giant Solara.....
Old 06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Rides rough. Fast as hell though. Not really a fan other than the speed and sound. Wicked depreciation. Had a client with a tuned one, WOW. I'd still rather have the S5 or the RS5 when it hits.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Guess I'm the only one like the 6 series then. It's a very sporty car. Steering is fantastic, very direct, very BMW feel. If one is used to driving the 3 series, the 6 is everything plus the luxury feel. I love it, but can't see myself buying one due to the weather in New England. The 6 is prob the worst winter RWD car from what I have heard.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
Guess I'm the only one like the 6 series then. It's a very sporty car. Steering is fantastic, very direct, very BMW feel. If one is used to driving the 3 series, the 6 is everything plus the luxury feel. I love it, but can't see myself buying one due to the weather in New England. The 6 is prob the worst winter RWD car from what I have heard.
I mentioned this before, I will restate it.

I started out looking at a 2006-2007 CPO 6 series. I actually liked the look, although the backend looked like it stuck on as an afterthought.

The depreciation is pretty unbelievable. New in the $80k range, 3 years later you can buy one for $40k.

Car is powerful, but the reasons for such rapid depreciation become apparent.

They suck in the snow. That's why so many get turned in quickly in New England. I tried everything to see past this problem, but it was impossible. The thought of being in NJ and trying to get back to CT in a snow storm was too real a possibility. Tough enough with an AWD and all those idiots with RWD's and cheap all season tires on the Merritt. Doing it in a 360HP RWD was not appealing.

The interior is not what I expect from an $80k car. I found the center dash to be very unattractive. Trying to find a MT was not easy either.

The run flats stink. I spoke to a half dozen people who complained that they gave a rough ride and worse........they puncture easily with people replacing one a year on average (one guy changed 3 in 8 months at $500 a clip)

I still think it is a sexy car. But one with one exterior, and several interior design flaws. Limited usability and high recurring repair costs.

It was the only BMW I would entertain buying..........and I didn't
Old 06-16-2009, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I totally agree with what mgd99 said. The price of used M6 is still high, but if you are also looking at used 645, 650 then just get a used 650i convertible. I think that car is great for weekend drive (or any other day except snow) and you don't have to sell your S5. At the price of a brand new M6. I would also look at Carrera 4S (AWD), used R8 or even a used Lamborghini ( 04 is selling for as low as 90k, you can definitely get one almost brand new condition 05 or even better at 110-120k, a big jump from M6 price but it's a Lambo)
Old 06-16-2009, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

all those with the assumption that you have even money to pay off the M6. I got so much flame lately here that I always have to check back of what I said.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have an S5. I had an E60 M5 and have also driven an M6 around a track a few times. The M cars are faster and more comfortable even with 20" wheels. They handle a lot better than you would think despite its weight. The fuel economy is terrible. In summary, the M6 is a brutally fast luxo-cruiser that gulps fuel. The S5 is a sportier and smaller coupe with more driver feel and unmatched styling inside and out.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MDS5
I have an S5. I had an E60 M5 and have also driven an M6 around a track a few times. The M cars are faster and more comfortable even with 20" wheels. They handle a lot better than you would think despite its weight. The fuel economy is terrible. In summary, the M6 is a brutally fast luxo-cruiser that gulps fuel. The S5 is a sportier and smaller coupe with more driver feel and unmatched styling inside and out.
You make a valid point.

People should describe their intended use for the vehicle.

Driving intended for weekend track also, is going to yield a different answer than a car intended mainly as a daily driver

Quick Reply: Anybody owned both an S5 and an M6?