Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Anyone considering the 2010 Camaro ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Because cars like the Camaro and CTS are fly by night niche designs.

They do not last longer than one or two years worth of excitement before the novelty has worn off. This is the risk of polarizing designs (Caddy's art and science) and retro cars (300, Challenger, T-bird, Camaro). They aren't built for the masses and they cannot stand the test of time in the sales world. This is precisely why the Big 3 are in so much trouble today. They haven't been able to produce and sell cars like Camry and Accord. Instead, they've gone into flakey niches that don't produce longterm porfits.

And the G8 is not selling well at all. Heavy discounts already, just like the previous one. Styling is far too bland and the back end mimics cars a few generations ago.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Because cars like the Camaro and CTS are fly by night niche designs.

+1

Exactly!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default nobody here would say the Camaro for $30k is smarter except you, this is an audi forum

who cares about US made cars? nobody that really cares about cars. have a nice day.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Forums 101: If you don't want to read a post, don't click on it
Old 01-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Could not agree more.

Let the guys on the pony car forums debate this one. I was a mustang guy growing up. The camaro was to me then what the BMW 335i is to me now! (sort of)
Old 01-04-2009, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I hate to be rude but you seem like nothing more than a troll out for a spin, all this does is

clog up a nice place for people that care about A/S5's. do you really think anyone cares about this BS? are you some soon to be out of work auto worker or something? Camaro, please.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Likely not too many people cross-shopping the S5 and the Camaro - very different target customers

The Camaro and S5 are targeted at two completely different types of customers.

While the S5 is all about combining performance and luxury in equal parts, the Camaro is eally focused on performance first, with cost and luxury/comfort tying for second. They are not performance luxury cars, grand tourers (even the GT Mustang), or whatever else you want to call the S5's category. Design decisions for the Camaro were made based on keeping costs down while providing good value for the lower trimlines, while allowing a high performance trimline that's not too expensive either.

That's not to say that the newest generation of Camaro an Mustang aren't great cars. I think they're a great value and the interiors have come a long way from the rental-car quality they used to have. They just are targeted at a different price point and have great performance but less other goodies than an S5.

If the extra $20-30K isn't worth it for the extras of the S5, then by all means a Mustang or Camaro provides a good value. I am a bit partial to the Mustang, but I the Camaro is probably a good choice too.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have made no negative comments about anything Audi

On the contrary, I like Audi products. If I purchase another one it will be my third. I have researched the Audi A4 and A5 extensively, consider myself quite knowledgeable and have contributed Audi-oriented information to this board for months.

But if you haven't noticed, we are in an economic crisis and folks that were considering new Audi purchases a few months ago may be reconsidering. If unemployment in your town is 10%+, then whether or not an automobile "exudes sophistication" may be less important. This is a discussion board and I was attempting to discuss other, less expensive options--some of which are receiving glowing reviews in the automotive press. I seriously doubt I am the only member of this forum without unlimited funds.

If the administrators want to pull the plug on me, they will let me know. Otherwise, I intend to speak my mind.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

fair enough, good luck with the camero - I had a 68 SS, good car in its day
Old 01-04-2009, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: wow, 0.3 seconds is "smoking" another vehicle?

Yes, with guys on here spending thousands in mods to make their cars faster, an extra .3 seconds for $20k LESS is "smoking"

Quick Reply: Anyone considering the 2010 Camaro ...