Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Anyone replaced brake pads to ease the massive dust issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Sure, lots of folks replace pads and switch to a low-dusting pad. Most of the aftermarket offerings have some sort of trade-off.
No need to go aftermarket. OEM pads that come on '11+ models are virtually dust free.

As for Armorall, it works well but the can is only good enough for like 1.5 applications. It gets pricey after a while.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
As for Armorall, it works well but the can is only good enough for like 1.5 applications. It gets pricey after a while.
If you have wheels with a hundred nooks and crannies, $2 a week isn't too bad to keep them clean.

I get one application per can. I take the wheels off and spray inside and out after a through cleaning.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

OEM pads that come on '11+ models are virtually dust free.
The guys with the S cars say their pads are just as dirty as ever. SUV drivers report the same. I think the dust-free pads were fitted only to the lower perf cars like mine ('11 A4).

Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
If you have wheels with a hundred nooks and crannies, $2 a week isn't too bad to keep them clean.

I get one application per can. I take the wheels off and spray inside and out after a through cleaning.
$2?? That stuff is like $10 per can.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Armor All solution works wonders for brake dust. One can has enough for two treatments (8 wheels). You are supposed to let it dry for at least one hour (see directions below) before driving. However, my experience (as the directions suggest) is that the longer you let it dry before driving, the better it works.

((Allow to dry 1 hour. Dry time will vary with the temperature. The longer you let Armor All® Wheel Protectant dry, the better the protection will be. Recommended application in temperatures above 65ºF.))
Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 AM
DHH
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same y-spoke wheels, and they're not too bad to clean, but anything to make that easier. Thanks for the tip - I wish this stuff was around when we had our 1991 Sterling...gorgeous wheels, but 10 times more painful to clean.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

$2?? That stuff is like $10 per can.
Yes and the application will last around a month. I had a coupon from the Armor All website and got two cans for the price of one.

I've had Ceramic pads before too and they will cause dust - just not as much.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 PM
ksn
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you mask off everything before applying?

Edit: I just saw the Aston Martin video. Just wondering how the stuff settles on paint,

Last edited by ksn; 02-23-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No need to go aftermarket. OEM pads that come on '11+ models are virtually dust free.

MonzaA5, perhaps the pads for the A5 was revised to a low dust blend, but I can say that's certainly not the case with my 2012
S5 coupe' model. I've have the car since mid-december, washer it 8 times, waxed it 8 times, and cleaned the rims 8 times. the rims look bad. I wash with car wash soap and water. then dry it. Then, I spray turtle wax ICE, it's for plastic and painted surfaces. I let it dry then wipe it off. it may not prevent the build up, but makes for easier cleaning, or when it rains, it sheds the brake dust readily.

hope that helps
Old 02-24-2012, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
not fun cleaning the Y spoke wheels every day - I like to keep the car immaculate.

thanks for the help.
Done on my S5, going to on the A7. A definite must, new pads make all the difference in the world. Tried the armorall wheel protector but was unhappy with the outcome - maybe because Im not using factory wheels. I sprayed not only the outside but the inside of the wheel as well since I have a very open wheel design. Unfortunately, I was not impressed, I guess the exterior may be better but the inner part of the barrel is just as bad as untreated. It may not be a fault of the product but the fact that there is no place for the brake dust to go. Anyway, for my application it's a fail.

Last edited by Quattrings; 02-25-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone replaced brake pads to ease the massive dust issue?