Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Anyone replaced brake pads to ease the massive dust issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The guys with the S cars say their pads are just as dirty as ever. SUV drivers report the same. I think the dust-free pads were fitted only to the lower perf cars like mine ('11 A4)."

I believe that brake dust goes hand in hand with brake performance: the better the brake performance, the more the brake dust. I bought a G35 in 2004 and I couldn't believe how little brake dust accumulated on the wheels. My Porsche 996 accumulated more brake dust in two days of driving than the G35 did in two weeks.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by sly1
I believe that brake dust goes hand in hand with brake performance: the better the brake performance, the more the brake dust.
Yeah, I'd agree, there is some correlation.

I don't believe the S cars got the lo-dusting pads. The rest of the A4 product line looks like it got lo-dusting pads beginning in Dec 2010...and those pads are really clean.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

For what it's worth, my car is an early '11 build (delivered in October of 2010). At first, I had quite a bit of brake dust and I started using the Armorall product. It works well, provided you let it dry for a couple of hours following application. Whoever said it made the dust problem worse likely didn't let it dry enough. The only downside is that it can get expensive. Depending on the type of wheels you have, one can is good for 1-2 applications. And you have to reapply it every time you wash the car.

A little less than a year after my purchase, I had the brake pads replaced under warranty when I complained that they started to make a whistling noise. The new pads generate virtually no dust. There is also no degradation in stopping power.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

This has been a great thread. Thanks to all who posted their experiences.

I've hated the brake dust from day 1. When I asked my dealer about it, he(obviously) suggested it wasn't a great idea to change the pads as you'll lose performance from low-dust brake pads (which is why they don't use them). Is this a bogus charge?

Also, the Armor All solution sounds great (notwithstanding the cost, although realistically I wouldn't apply it in the winter... not worth it given the car gets really filthy anyway). My only problem is that I like to wash my car more often in the summer. 4 weeks of protection isn't really useful if you want to wash (or at least rinse) your car every couple of weeks. Any suggestions? Just avoid rinsing the rims?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I picked up the Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads. The brake dust issue is gone and the brakes grip better than stock. Fade is also reduced.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

How does one go about getting their brake pads replaced with specific ones you want? Do you just go to any mechanic and tell them which ones you want and have them install it?

And how much will it cost (parts + installation)?
Old 02-27-2012, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toronto S5
How does one go about getting their brake pads replaced with specific ones you want? Do you just go to any mechanic and tell them which ones you want and have them install it?

And how much will it cost (parts + installation)?
You can order most aftermarket pads online. As for the install, if you have even basic mechanical skills, brake pads are one of the most straight forward swaps a person can do.

The pads I listed are typically around $200 for the complete set. A shop will charge you at least an hour labor or more for this, so anywhere from $100-$200.

Autoanything carries the Hawk pads for $210 shipped. They typically have coupons you can search for online that give you anywhere from 10-20% off.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Any suggestions? Just avoid rinsing the rims?
Yes.

And you can't drive the car in the rain, either. Water upsets the protective quality.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok... so for brake pad dummies... do you need front AND rear brake pads? They appear to have different model numbers (and prices) for the Hawk Performance Ceramics on Autoanything.

And I read you need to use VCDS to change the rear ones... that's a bit strange, no? I've noticed only material brake dust on the front wheels, not the rear, so is it even worth changing the rears or is it a bad idea to have different pads on the front and rear?

Lastly, what is the difference between "Hawk Performance" and "Hawk HPS" brake pads, and how does Hawk stack up against the Akebonos?

Thanks a lot guys.

P.S. In the interim, I picked up the Armor All Wheel Protectant and will use once summer starts to see how that goes.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

P.S. In the interim, I picked up the Armor All Wheel Protectant and will use once summer starts to see how that goes.
Picked up two more cans today - big fan!