Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Anyone with a Tiptronic S5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 04:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faelcrom
If you speaking of sheer specs (shift time in MS), no. The tip is still just a standard automatic and it will never shifts as fast as a dual clutch, or even a manual driven by a very good driver. What the E-Diff and Drive Select does is it allows you to change the throttle mappings, shift mappings etc. The question for me was this: How often am I really going to need the milli-second difference in shift speed when I'm on the street. My answer was: almost never.....and even on the track, the tip shift is plenty fast enough.
I agree on that one, as you can see in here.. even milliseconds play a big of a deal for some in here, their brains can't even account for those ( too quick ) however computers says so and they just can't help thinking one might have faster shifts than the other, they don't don't know that in reality it doesn't make a difference. Anyhow.. good answer!
Old 03-21-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have TIp with the GIAC upgraded ECU and it is amazingly fast in switching gears. Nice to drive to miami and not have to shift 400 hundred times. Better gas mileage also. No guzzler tax either.

Originally Posted by ROCBOY
I agree on that one, as you can see in here.. even milliseconds play a big of a deal for some in here, their brains can't even account for those ( too quick ) however computers says so and they just can't help thinking one might have faster shifts than the other, they don't don't know that in reality it doesn't make a difference. Anyhow.. good answer!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've seen the mpg numbers on the sticker for the cars, but are the tips getting much better milage than the manual??
Old 03-23-2010, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SoonerDPT
I've seen the mpg numbers on the sticker for the cars, but are the tips getting much better milage than the manual??
I'm getting an averall average of 17.4 right now, and getting 23.5-24 on the hwy. That is just over 800 miles of driving so far. The overall would be better, but I have bedded the brakes in twice to try to get them to stop squealing and that sucked the crap out of the milage. I was getting 18.8 at the 600 mile mark and the 1st bed-in dropped me to 18 even, and then the second time was at 750 and i dropped to 17.1. (Plus the blast to 157 [slightly downhill], didn't help things either)]And it is coming back up. I will reset the overall at 1k and see where we are at. And I am confident the milage will come up even more once the engine gets broken in more.