Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Anything to watch for in a windshield replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like this is still a big challenge in 2022 with some insurances not letting us to go for OEM windshield. I have 2018 Audi A5, and have a crack with more >6inches lines coming out of it. Progressive is approving as part of Glass Coverage in Florida but is not allowing me to get OEM, they mentioned it costs close to 500$ extra for me to pay out of pocket if I need OEM. I have called them quite a few times, and its been quite a pain. Safe Lite is their approved provider to replace my windshield and when I checked with Satellite, they mentioned they will make sure the after market windshield will take care of all the sensors and recalib etc. and has the warranty on it if soemthing goes wrong later. Any thoughts pls? This is my first Audi, and being a gal doesn't make it easier to figure these out, spent like 4 hours being forwarded to diff departments in Progressive, their 3rd party etc. etc. I'm not a huge fan of progressive any more.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default things to check for

simple answer. 1. does it leak? 2. any distortion? If you can answer no to both questions, you have a good windshield replacement.
The following users liked this post:
ice345 (12-21-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not an Audi, but my wife had her Quashqai windscreen replaced by autoglass this month. They used a generic screen and there is lensing around the outside. Looks terrible. And the screen wash wipers aren't working as they did. Apparently the insurance company refuses to pay for authentic parts and wouldn't let her go to Nissan for the repair. So now we are in a complaints process to get it fixed properly.

The other issue is the recalibration or the rain sensors which a non-audi garage is likely to overlook. I have had a couple of tiny chips in my windscreen for years now and because of this sort of crap service I have been reluctant to take her in. Fortunately, I don't do much driving so the risk is minimal (and I had the chips done by autoglass). Anyone who has had a windscreen go while driving on the motorway will know how dangerous it is. Personally I think its worth getting audi to do it and pay the extra.