Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

AoA compensation

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AoA compensation

Anyone have experience with AoA and compensation for excessive warranty work?

I have had a 2010 A5 (with 1k miles) for just under a month and had to take it in for the air bag light being on and a parking system malfunction error. The dealer reset the sensors and did all kinds of diagnostics but did not replace anything. The lights came back on (of course) as soon I started that car. That was day 1, day 2 they opened a case with Audi and did more diagnostics and removing parts, reinstalling, road-testing, etc.. Audi wanted the dealer to keep the car another day for more testing (and more road testing).

I called Audi Of America to complain about this dragging on and inquire about compensation. They said they wouldn't pay for mileage since it was necessary for repairs (10-15 miles a day is going to start to add up), but would talk compensation once the car is fixed and they have the resolution from the dealer.

I've heard AoA is stingy, anyone have any experience or advice?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you done the JD Powers survey yet on your new car and your dealership experience? I would use that as a bargaining chip to get things done.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

They have had your car for 3 days (if I understand your post correctly) and you want them to pay you ???
Old 11-11-2009, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Absolutely! It's not like the car has 150k and a strange problem just started - the car is new and has only 1k miles! How many cars are out of service this early? There should definitely be some form of compensation. Throw in a free service, a tank of gas, oil change, guaranteed Audi loaner for future service, etc..

As the AoA representative put it, "to protect the brand" they would offer some sort of compensation. I've spent 4 hours in the dealer waiting room, and 2 days with a non-Audi rental while a NEW car gets fixed.

In my opinion, Audi needs to tighten up the corporate standards on loaner cars, dealer rules and regulations. Too much variation between dealers. The DC market has some of the worst and AoA's office is located here!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Perhaps you will get something from AoA, particularly if you are being the squeaky wheel. But while I understand your desire to have no issues with a new & expensive car, I agree that ranting about compensation after only 3 days is a bit unreasonable.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sucks, but honestly 3 days is not that much time to be without your car. Hopefully you're getting everything out of the way early so you don't have many future issues.

Maybe you'll get something like a free set of winter floormats - that would be a nice gesture from Audi to make up for your less-than-ideal experience.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hef311
Absolutely! It's not like the car has 150k and a strange problem just started - the car is new and has only 1k miles! How many cars are out of service this early? There should definitely be some form of compensation. Throw in a free service, a tank of gas, oil change, guaranteed Audi loaner for future service, etc..

As the AoA representative put it, "to protect the brand" they would offer some sort of compensation. I've spent 4 hours in the dealer waiting room, and 2 days with a non-Audi rental while a NEW car gets fixed.

In my opinion, Audi needs to tighten up the corporate standards on loaner cars, dealer rules and regulations. Too much variation between dealers. The DC market has some of the worst and AoA's office is located here!

Hello,

I found that Audi did assist with taking care of excessive warranty work.

However our definition of excessive might be a bit different. I had a 2005 Audi S5 Cabriolet. Where to start.. at 16k miles the engine blew a hole in a cylinder while driving on the highway. Took over a month to get a new engine. Check engine light coming on numerous times. Car dying on the highway while driving 3 or 4 times. Electrical issues, gas tank went bad, and a bunch of other things. The car was in Audi service for over 4 months total. Not to mention that they put at minimum 1000 miles on the car total with all the testing.

Audi ended up reimbursing me for 4 months worth of the payments I made on the Audi S4 when I purchased a new Audi.

Now my dealer (McGrath Audi in Glenview - in my opinion one of the best Audi dealers I have ever delt with) in Chicago always gave me an Audi loner. But it was never an S4 Cab.

Unfortunately unless you have the same problem 3 times within the first 12 months the car is not considered a lemon. Legally Audi was not required to do anything for me, however they did step up and do something and now I am in an S5.

I would wait and see how long it takes to fix the problem. If it takes more than a week I would escalate with AOA and ask them to send a field engineer to look at the car.

Now a guaranteed Audi loner would be nice but that is something you have to work out with the dealer. If you have having it worked on at the same place that you purchased it then I would speak with the GM at the dealer. Perhaps they can get you into an Audi loner.

Until the problem is resolved AOA will not discuss compensation for your time or the time the car is out of service. This protects everyone so that you do not make an agreement on what is fair and then have to go back later.

I am sure that AOA will stand behind what they said and that they will do something for you.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too much variation between dealers. The DC market has some of the worst and AoA's office is located here!
Let me guess: HBL in Tyson's?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So the outcome was a total of 2.5 days in the shop, parking break adjustment (correcting incorrect PDI), a minor software upgrade and lots of pull apart and put back together. They put 84 miles on the car (originally told 10-15 per day per AoA recommendations)and left behind 1 m&m wrapper. This was done at Audi of Alexandria, I'm wondering if one of the mechanics took the car home with him. The dealer gets pretty beat up in the reviews on google (as does HBL).

Compared to the post above, my experience is minimal although since the car is so new it would be nice if Audi did something small to make up for this blunder or do these relatively short shop visits go with the owning of an Audi?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So the outcome was a total of 2.5 days in the shop, parking break adjustment (correcting incorrect PDI), a minor software upgrade and lots of pull apart and put back together. They put 84 miles on the car (originally told 10-15 per day per AoA recommendations)and left behind 1 m&m wrapper. This was done at Audi of Alexandria, I'm wondering if one of the mechanics took the car home with him. The dealer gets pretty beat up in the reviews on google (as does HBL).

Compared to the post above, my experience is minimal although since the car is so new it would be nice if Audi did something small to make up for this blunder or do these relatively short shop visits go with the owning of an Audi?
Is your car okay now? 2.5 days in service isn't that bad. I normally have to leave my car at the dealer a day for any diagnosis and check up.