Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

APR Audi A5 (B8) 2.0 TFSI Valve-Lift ECU Upgrade Released!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's almost impossible to determine really when you think of all the factors that can cause a motor to fail. So many of which have nothing to do with ECU calibrations.

We have dozens of cars with over 150k miles of use without any engine problems. And APR as a whole probably has thousands now with similar mileage.
APR does a fantastic job of measuring critical sensors like EGT's, boost, IAT's and more to make sure they all fall within recommend Bosch specifications, which means a long running motor for you.

It says alot when VWOA works directly with only APR in developing all their cool motorsport projects.
Here's a brand new, not even release VW GTI given to APR to start testing their newest Stage3 turbo kits so VW can display them at Waterfest.

Rest assured that ECU calibrations are as safe as they are fun. With over 12 years of tuning these Audi's, APR has the background and experience to make sure things are done right.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caf
What's the MTTF (mean time to failure) of an engine running your software vs. stock?
The life of the engine? APR didn't get to where it is today by being dangerous and no safeguards are removed. We have B5 S4 Stage III customers with over 300,000 miles on their engine w/o an engine rebuild.

[edit]
Very well said MikekiM. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2009, 05:47 PM
caf
AudiWorld Member

You're running higher boost than stock, so engine longevity will be affected adversely, correct?

For those that want to make that trade-off, fine, but personally I would never consider any pre-owned car that had been run at above factory set boost levels.

In fact if I DID bump up the boost on my own forced induction car, I would be sure to sell it early! And I'm very suspicious when tuners say that the software is not detectable. As I recall (and correct me if I'm wrong), most manufacturers have devices that CAN interrogate and detect pretty much any aftermarket software changes. So even if your dealer may not be able to detect it (or chooses to ignore it), if you have a serious engine problem, it's very possible that your regional manufacturer's rep will be looking for that before he/she authorizes your new engine replacement. And you can be absolutely sure that they will blame your aftermarket tuning. Sure you can argue that the tuning wasn't responsible, but you'll be in for a legal battle that you probably won't win.

Not trying to be a total killjoy here--I'm sure the extra hp and torque IS a lot of fun. There is a downside that people need to know about, though.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wait APR came on the site to express their reflash for the new 2.0TFSI engine, correct? Not about buying a used reflashed turbo car, so not sure about your posts? I mean 95% of the people purchasing the 2.0T on this board are very aware of APR, GIAC and so forth and know about reflashing their car. Hell I bet half of them had a turbo car that was reflashed at one time, lol.

We, as in tuners all know the risks and consequences in modifying your cars. Hell I had an APR 1.8T for 6 years that had 140k miles on it. My engine didn't have any issues, but now my electrical system...lol.. that is a whole different story.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by caf
As I recall (and correct me if I'm wrong), most manufacturers have devices that CAN interrogate and detect pretty much any aftermarket software changes. So even if your dealer may not be able to detect it (or chooses to ignore it), if you have a serious engine problem, it's very possible that your regional manufacturer's rep will be looking for that before he/she authorizes your new engine replacement.

Fortunately this is not true.

Also fortunately you're not going to blow up your engine with a stage I or II ecu upgrade. This has been prove time and time again over the past 10+ years APR has tuned VAG vehicles. :-)

Originally Posted by caf
Not trying to be a total killjoy here--I'm sure the extra hp and torque IS a lot of fun. There is a downside that people need to know about, though.
True, and I agree. Fortunately that downside tends to be proper maintenance of the car, which really is not a downside at all. With your factory car, you can neglect it. It's not going to be happy, and it's not going to run 100% after a while but it will get by. Once you start modifying the engine, it may not be such a good idea to extend your oil changes out to 15-20k miles or throw cheap 87 octane in the tank.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Arin,
Please do something nifty for us 3.2 V6 owners
Thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Arin, can you comment on how the upgrade for the 2.0T affects fuel economy? Would the increased torque put more wear on a Tiptronic than a manual transmission? Also, what happens if one was to buy the upgrade and then the dealer updated the ECU with an Audi software update during a service visit?

I'm very interested in the upgrade, but will probably hold off for a while until I get bored with the factory performance. Will the upgrade be revised over the next few years, or do you believe you've already found the optimal settings for the car and don't plan on any changes?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I Just drove a B8 A4 2.0 TFSI, which is the same engine and same software, 2000+ miles from Alabama (APR) to New Jersey (waterfest car show) and back. I averaged 36 mpg's. Customers always tell me they see an increase in miles per gallon during normal driving habits.

If a dealer flashes over your software, just head back to an APR dealer for an update.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The biggest problem with tunned car is the available torque is now too much more than stock. The torque converter in these 6 speeds trans is the weakest point. Once the torque converter slips, you are facing not only 1k part + labor but also the risk of replacing the whole tranny. If someone out there can guarantee that the torque converter in the 2.0 is the same as the 3.2 then I would feel a bit better but as of rightnow, the chance for that to occur is minimal.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So for the 2011 A5, this is an ECU replacement? Not just a simple flash? Correct?

Quick Reply: APR Audi A5 (B8) 2.0 TFSI Valve-Lift ECU Upgrade Released!