Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Attempted To Buy '09 S5 Today

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempted To Buy '09 S5 Today

I am interested in peoples opinion on the experience I had trying to buy an S5 today. The car was an '09 Phantom Black with Navigation, Technology, B&O, & Stainless Steel. The salesman was basically unwilling to negotiate on price and then on top of that they only offered the Galves value on my '07 RS4 that I would be trading in (I can get that from a non-Audi dealer who isn't going to try to sell the car for $12k more than what they offered me).

I said to the salesman that basically you are expecting me to take a 50% hit on the car I bought two years ago for full price and get virtually no discount on the S5 that is end of model year and in the middle of a horrible economy. His explanation back to me is that Audi is one of the most expensive cars to own and unlike BMW or Porsche doesn't do anything to help maintain the market value of their used cars. Basically he said people who own Audi's are willing to accept the fact that it costs more to drive than BMW's and Porsche's and that they don't hold their value.

Obviously I left the dealership stunned and pretty much feeling like I would never buy another Audi. Which is really sad since this is our third Audi (and best by far). But I just will not throw money away when there are other really good options (didn't get burned like this on my 911S or any of the 3 M3's I have had).

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just to give you a reference, I ordered my 2010 S5 in May (with all the options) and negotiated a price of 2% over invoice. That being said, I did order a 2010 TTS for my fiancee at the same time which probably gave me more room to negotiate (got the TTS for cost). I have yet to get a number for what I will get for trading in my '03 A4 as I just got that car moved up to my new location and have not had the dealership look at it yet. My guess is that they will give me some ridiculously low trade in value and I will end up selling the A4 myself.

I am curious as to what other deals people are getting with their 2009/2010 S5's, but I think I got a pretty good deal. I agree with you that you should have gotten a deal given the poor economy as well as the fact that the 2010's are starting to show up. Maybe the S5 is in greater demand in your area?
Old 07-04-2009, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not let one sour dealer discourage you from the brand. Audi makes incredible cars. Go out there, shop around, be patient, and keep trying. You will have some luck eventually.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

He's a damn car salesman for pete sakes. Most of those guys (and clearly yours) are morons.

A car is worth whatever someone is willing to sell it for - there is nothing intrisic about the price. Check out another dealer, or, speak directly with the GM at your current dealership.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've owned many Audis ( as well as Porsche, MBZs and BMWs at the same time in the past 25 years ) and the Audis have always had GM-like
depreciation .
Nothing new about that , in good or bad economic times . The car salesman is right in a way - total ownership cost is high for this brand and we repeat buyers buy with our hearts and not our wallets , but that's the way it is for Audi nuts , which may be why many are not repeat customers vs other luxury brands .
In some ways , even though we know Audi is the equal and in many ways better than these other German makes, the great unwashed see Audi brand image as sorta like Saab , in the US : a niche brand bought by slightly off-centered people - I'll throw in Subaru as another example comparing Japanese brands ,
Old 07-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Paid sticker for 09 S5. Previous S4 was a lease down payment was cash $9K. No haggle, had to pay sticker or get something beside the S5....Got the S5 (spoiled). T
The RS is a great car but, there not people lining up to purchase them and the person who REALLY wants yours may be on the other side of the country, looking at more depressing news about the economy.
Best thing, sell the RS privately then go get the S5. Selling the RS may take a while and in the meantime more S5s are being built. The best price will be buying from dealer stock IF you can find one and it's equipped to you liking otherwise, don't be surprised to pay $$$ to order one the way you want it. It's just going to come down to do you want it or not? "SHOW ME DA MONEY!!!"
Old 07-04-2009, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a "used" 2009 S4 Ibis White less than 30 days ago for $55k and it only had 800 miles on it at an Audi dealer in TN. The car had everything on it I wanted without the price of a new one and was in impeccable new condition.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Inclined
In some ways , even though we know Audi is the equal and in many ways better than these other German makes, the great unwashed see Audi brand image as sorta like Saab , in the US : a niche brand bought by slightly off-centered people - I'll throw in Subaru as another example comparing Japanese brands ,
I've heard it's a different story elsewhere. Audi has more prestige than MBZ in the UK.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tubi
I've heard it's a different story elsewhere. Audi has more prestige than MBZ in the UK.
Unfortunately, here in the US ,when non car enthusiaists think /talk/write in local/natinal press of " luxury " car brands , it's always MBZ/BMW/Lexus , BMW/MBZ/Lexus , Lexus /BMW/MBZ - never is Audi mentioned . I think it gets lumped with Volvo,Acura ,Infiniti,etc.
In the past 25 years to this date , I've always had to explain to everyone why I owned whichever Audi was in my garage-never had to do that with the other German makes : it's always " nice BMW " or nice " Mercedes ".

It doesn't help that dealers of Audi cars have customer service and showrooms not much better than the VWs I owned 30 years ago.

Local MBZ/BMW/Lexus showrooms are palaces that hold 10-15 cars inside and dealership coddling are in another galaxy. My local Audi showroom holds three cars , but usually there is just one very ancient unsold A8 on the floor.

Servicing my Audi here in the SF Bay Area and I have to pay for a rental car .
At my MBZ dealer I get a choice of an ML or C Class free service loaner .
Audi will not fix any complaints of rattles or funny noises after first 1000 miles . I've had MBZ fix things after warranty period like $1500 new instrument cluster because I am long time customer and they have a discreet " goodwill policy " for owners like me with good relationship with their dealership/service advisor.
Friends who cross shop Audi at my insistence turn them down for these types of issues for the same or higher prices that the Audi brand charges for similar model ranges .
Old 07-04-2009, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First off, trade in value will always make you cry. Sell it yourself on autotrader.com and cars.com and you will get many thousands more if you take your time.
Negotiate the new S5 separately then have the dealer do a courtesy deal on the paperwork so you save on taxes and pay for only the delta. End of the month is a better time as well

Quick Reply: Attempted To Buy '09 S5 Today