Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Attempted To Buy '09 S5 Today

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No surprise on your experience. I paid invoice for my 2009 S5 and waited 11 months for it too. I also got double the amount they offered for my B5 98 A4 when I sold it via Autotrader. Obviously not as simple as dropping your car off at the dealer and leaving with something else, but if you're looking for top dollar, then private sale is the way to go.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tiger4366
No, it's over what the dealer pays Audi for the car - "all-in". They will have an actual invoice they can/should show you that details the base price of the car, options, destination costs, marketing, inspection, etc. It will show MSRP and Dealer invoice cost for all these items. A smart buyer will negotiate from the invoice cost up (either as a % increase or a $ increase over dealer invoice).
So, if you negotiate $XXXX over invoice, the cost of the car will be:

Base price of car (at invoice)
+Price of all options (at invoice)
+$XXXX

= Cost of car (before tax, title, license)

Is this correct?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

That is correct.

Build it yourself here to see invoice vs retail:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/de...l=S5&state=new
Old 07-06-2009, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Correct, all options have a dealer invoice price as well. You can see this in things like the TMV (True Market value) reports on Edmunds.com where they show you MSRP, dealer invoice, and the cost that people are paying for each in your area.

In my case, I agreed to pay $900 over dealer invoice (which is the dealer cost of the car with the specific options ordered).
Old 07-06-2009, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Actually this is the pricing model:

http://autos.msn.com/research/autopr...ear=2009&UTN=0
Old 07-06-2009, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you both. I've had the 2009 invoice prices for a few months now, so I know what they are. I just wanted to make sure I am on the same page as the dealer when I'm using the lingo.

I have an agreement with a dealer for $1,000 over invoice for a 2010 S5 ordered from factory. I figure that's pretty good considering the 2010s haven't even hit the states yet.

I can't wait for AWD and to never suffer through another winter with my 02 M3.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anything over invoice is surprising to me. You may want to check other dealers before you actually buy it. The reason he is agreeing to a price now vs when the car is delivered is precisely because you are agreeing to pay more than invoice. If you are paying $1,000 over invoice they should throw in Audi Care at a minimum.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Red Angel
Anything over invoice is surprising to me. You may want to check other dealers before you actually buy it. The reason he is agreeing to a price now vs when the car is delivered is precisely because you are agreeing to pay more than invoice. If you are paying $1,000 over invoice they should throw in Audi Care at a minimum.
Are you thinking about MSRP instead of invoice? If not, how is that surprising? Is it normal for dealers in your area to sell cars at cost? What do they profit off of?

I would understand if we were talking MSRP, but I have talked with other dealers and I would find it surprising if they agree to sell any relatively new car at cost, much less a car which hasn't even been released yet.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rs4ockies
Anthony4579...I feel for ya. It's hard not to work with a dealer when you're looking at a new model. IMHO...don't throw thousands of profit at those guys just because they have something you want. Do like a previous post and find a demo, or slightly used S5 and sell you're RS privately. Dealerships are truly crooked. Haven't dealt with one yet that wasn't. (And i've dealt with more than most do in a lifetime) Best of luck to you though!!

HAHAHAAA...so it's good business to **** off you're customers?? Many of whom, would like to be repeat customers. Wholesale value is BS. Just take the RS4 issue. How can a dealer call it "just business" to undercut someone a minimum of $7k on one vehicle?? Ponder, $37k wholesale value of an RS4 to turn around and sell off the lot for $45k+. Should be laws against it, like usury laws for exploited interest rates. The whole topic makes me sick...that within the past 5-8 years, dealerships have nationwide held hands in moving away from "trade-in" values to this wholesale BS. Trade-in values are thousands less than private party values which are thousands less than retail values ALREADY...so who in the world got it in their greedy minds that people needed to be screwed out of even thousands more than the decades-used "trade-in" value?!? I'll tell you who, execs like those of Enron. Capitalism is a good thing, however when turned into greed it becomes destructive and counter-productive. That's it for my soapbox. Just PLEASE don't say it's "just business." That kind of business has already made me, one customer (current RS4 owner), who will NEVER buy another Audi from a dealer again.

It's too bad that you have bad experiences in the past. But the only way to get a Brand New Audi is through an Audi Dealer.

So what is a fair profit for a dealer to make. A thousand dollars a hundred. You do understand that dealers are not a charity and the goal is to make a profit. I understand that you would like to pay wholesale when you buy something and get retail when you sell it, but don't expect that when you walk into a dealership.

Oh, you do realize it is only semantics when you say "trade in value" or "wholesale value". It's the same damn thing and it really means what a dealer or wholesaler will give you today. And just like when you sell a house it's worth whatever you get for it. Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds don't buy cars to my knowledge, so they are not the supreme authority. The guy willing to hand you a check is.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You're not accounting for dealer hold back and other fees (such as local ad fees and prep fees) they will tack on. As they are selling the car the moment it lands, they are taking much less financial risk. Anything above invoice right now for a 2010 S5 that you pre-order should be looked at carefully. I asked around pretty casually around the bay area and numerous dealers offered it.

Originally Posted by Shado1019
Are you thinking about MSRP instead of invoice? If not, how is that surprising? Is it normal for dealers in your area to sell cars at cost? What do they profit off of?

I would understand if we were talking MSRP, but I have talked with other dealers and I would find it surprising if they agree to sell any relatively new car at cost, much less a car which hasn't even been released yet.

Quick Reply: Attempted To Buy '09 S5 Today