Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi A5 101

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A5 101

A Little Help here plz.
I've been thinking about buying an A5/S5 for about a year now. I started out looking at used models, but as everyone knows, these cars are not that easy to find and Audi keeps changing the configuration. After budget consideration and such, I've decided on a New 2011 A5. This way I can get what I want. I'm looking for advice and users feed back on what options they highly suggest or consider waste of $$.
1) Is it worth going for the A5Prestige or should I start with the Premium Plus and add what I want?
2)A Navigation is a must (a girl's gotta know where she's going)
3) Advance Key System is not a must. However, if I'm not mistaken, Key+Nav is part of the Tech Package and may go hand in hand.
4) Bluetooth a must. My work leaves my desk and travels to my car (why is this not part of the tech package?)
5) S-Line, Sport or Titanium? (aesthetic v performance? I want both; budget says find a happy medium)
6) Milano Leather vs ??? what comes with what model or is this an option on all. I'm not fond of the fabric + leather mix.
7) SOUND - B&O not required. I use my radio to catch up on news.
8) IPOD interface - YES. Again - Why not part of the tech package? and geez, why the glove compartment? Did I miss something?
9)Lets talk other options? Side Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Power rear sunshades (in Fla, probably get more use that heated seats)
10)I did test drive the S6 and loved the way the engine sounds. Can you get that sound only with a S models or will a sport option on the A5 do the trick? No mod suggestions plz, The car will remain stock.
Bottom line - Best car w/options for my money/budget. Thanks in Advance. (serious responses plz)
Old 12-21-2010, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would highly recommend reviewing the features, options and packages pages on Audi's site to answer some of the questions you are asking about.

http://models.audiusa.com/a5-coupe/models

But for a real brief summary:

* The "Tech Package" is no longer
* Advanced Key is Prestige only
* S-Line, Sports Package and Titanium are appearance, wheels and suspension packages. None provide any further increases in engine performance.
* S-Line changes the seats to be leather with Alcantara inserts, so skip if you don't like that
* A car's sound is a function of engine and exhaust. S models tend to have larger engines and better exhausts than their non-S models. You're not going to get an S model's sound out of a non-S model, even with an aftermarket exhaust (turbo inline-4 will not sound like a V8 or V10).

Other than that, refer to the link I provided above.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Saljade
A Little Help here plz.
I've been thinking about buying an A5/S5 for about a year now. I started out looking at used models, but as everyone knows, these cars are not that easy to find and Audi keeps changing the configuration. After budget consideration and such, I've decided on a New 2011 A5. This way I can get what I want. I'm looking for advice and users feed back on what options they highly suggest or consider waste of $$.
1) Is it worth going for the A5Prestige or should I start with the Premium Plus and add what I want?
3) Advance Key System is not a must. However, if I'm not mistaken, Key+Nav is part of the Tech Package and may go hand in hand.
4) Bluetooth a must. My work leaves my desk and travels to my car (why is this not part of the tech package?)
5) S-Line, Sport or Titanium? (aesthetic v performance? I want both; budget says find a happy medium)
6) Milano Leather vs ??? what comes with what model or is this an option on all. I'm not fond of the fabric + leather mix.
8) IPOD interface - YES. Again - Why not part of the tech package? and geez, why the glove compartment? Did I miss something?
9)Lets talk other options? Side Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Power rear sunshades (in Fla, probably get more use that heated seats)
10)I did test drive the S6 and loved the way the engine sounds. Can you get that sound only with a S models or will a sport option on the A5 do the trick? No mod suggestions plz, The car will remain stock.
Bottom line - Best car w/options for my money/budget. Thanks in Advance. (serious responses plz)

Hey i see your in Coral Springs.. have you been over to Coral Springs Audi?... ask for Jeff Klukis, and trust me he will help you with everything.. and explain each thing to you and find you the car that fits your needs.. Jeff is the best have bought all my audi's through him and hes a a great guy and knows everything about the product..
Old 12-21-2010, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. The information you provided was very helpful. I have been going over the website. But I still have questions. A car sales man once told me the only difference with the S-Line are "the seats and the S-line badges". So I wanted to hear from owners.
Thank you
Old 12-21-2010, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Since I just ordered a 2011 Audi A5 after similar analysis I'll lend my two cents:

A Little Help here plz.

Start with Premium+ and add. Better value unless you really want everything in the Prestige edition.

No longer a "tech package." Suggest you run through the Audi on-line configurator.

I selected Nav. I've prior had stand-alone units and although very cost effective it's nice to have an integrated unit with voice-recognition entry. Plus all the other gadgetry that comes with Nav.

My wife's Lexus has keyless and I'm not that entralled with same, so went without.

Yep, a must these days, especially as I have an iPhone.

I got neither, but then I'm older and was looking for the 'cleaner' stock aesthetic (and I don't like black interiors and gunmetal wheels).

Milano is an option. The stock leather is very good and what I chose. Alcantara can be problematic to clean (even tho' I'm very careful).

Same here so no B&O.

Must have.

Well, in the north I wouldn't buy a car without heated seats.

I did opt for the 19" sport package to get the sport seat bolsters as well as the suspension goodies and the rims. Almost every picture of an A5 you see on the 'net has the nice five Y-spoke rims.

I also got the PIO exhaust tips and locking wheel lugs - short money.

Nope, you need a V8 S5 for that sound. "There's no replacement for displacement." But I am impressed with the rapid 2.0T turbo spool up, as well as of course the great gas mileage.

See "My Audi A5 Ordered" below

Last edited by Huey52; 12-21-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. The information you provided was very helpful. I have been going over the website. But I still have questions. A car sales man once told me the only difference with the S-Line are "the seats and the S-line badges". So I wanted to hear from owners.
Thank you
That's partially true, but S-Line also includes different wheels, suspension (which can be pretty darn stiff), badging and other appearance kits. Though if you don't want the leather/Alcantara seats, then the S-Line package won't be for you.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yesterday when bought my car, I saw an A5 Premium Plus with nav and I think it had everything you are looking for with the possible exception of the sun screens (of course it doesn't have the V8 sound). If memory serves its sticker was less than 45K.

Personally I could care less for nav, when I need one I can use my Garmin for a lot less (and reportably better).

Good luck with your search.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Regarding the iPod interface and the glove compartment, I recommend just getting a dedicated iPod and leaving it in there all the time. That's what we do in our cars, and it's great. Much nicer than constantly having to swap them back and forth, and the cost is a tiny drop in the bucket in the big picture of the car purchase.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Otherwise, you can get two 32GB SDHC cards for about the same price as one of the newer iPod nanos and not have to deal with iTunes or the short cable in the glove box.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sharding
Regarding the iPod interface and the glove compartment, I recommend just getting a dedicated iPod and leaving it in there all the time. That's what we do in our cars, and it's great. Much nicer than constantly having to swap them back and forth, and the cost is a tiny drop in the bucket in the big picture of the car purchase.
Or you can just put your music on an SD card.

Quick Reply: Audi A5 101