Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi A5 101

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by questionlp
Otherwise, you can get two 32GB SDHC cards for about the same price as one of the newer iPod nanos and not have to deal with iTunes or the short cable in the glove box.
Isn't playlist management much more of a pain then, though? I looked into that a bit, and it sounded like it also choked on certain directory structures, filenames, etc. I admit I didn't spend a lot of time diving into it, though, because it didn't really seem that much better to me and any headache was too much headache. It costs slightly less, but if the management is harder, it's not worth it to me. Maybe it's a bigger deal to me because I have over 60GB of music and we have five ipods between my wife and I and our cars. It's really nice to have it all seamlessly sync and have the same playlists, etc. I just plug the iPod into my computer every so often, 15 minutes later it's done syncing, and I don't have to do anything else. I like that. I get enough of wrangling with computers at work, when I'm messing with stuff at home, I like it to just work ;-)
Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

It is a bit more of a hassle compared to using an iPod and I have considered getting a dedicated iPod Classic for the car. But for now, I'm fairly happy with my SD cards.

It has had a bit of a fit with some of the tagging of my MP3 files, even though they are ID3 v2.3 that Winamp, Foobar2000 and iTunes are happy with.

There are other pros and cons to consider:

* The audio part of the iPod connection is analog, which means the chain from the iPod to your speakers are: D (file) -> A (line out) -> D (DSP) -> A (speakers). Using SD cards (or the USB AMI cable), it's D (file->DSP) -> A (speakers).
* The MMI interface is a bit quirky when dealing with an iPod, mostly with playlist folders and some issues when in Mix mode and selecting a song
* iPod option allows you to use Lossless files (albeit in Apple's proprietary ALAC, versus the open FLAC format)
* SD allows you to swap out the cards, and you get two slots with the 3G MMI with Navigation

In my case, the majority of my music is in 256kbps or 320kbps MP3 and the albums that I care the most are also in FLAC. I've had to compromise by only using 320kbps MP3 on the SD cards, sometimes transcoding FLAC->ALAC and mixing with MP3s for my iPod.

I would search around the forums to see what gotchas people have ran across with using the iPod and AMI.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Well, since this is "A5 101" please excuse this noob question, but can't an iPod/iPhone also plug into the center console (the technology tutorial seems to indicate same)? If not, I have a little used iPod I can leave in the glovebox. I don't, yet, have a manual, so can't RTFM.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

At least with my S5, which has the 3G MMI with Navigation, the only plugs in the center console are power ports (cig lighter and a DC power port). I don't recall seeing any other plugs. The only connection I've seen for an iPhone/iPod is in the glove box.

Another thing to consider is that the vehicle shown in the iPhone tutorial is not an A5/S5 (looks more like an A6 or older A8).
Old 12-23-2010, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for everyone's response. It has all been helpful. I was able to take a few questionable options off my list. Good idea on the designated IPod for the car. I was a bit concerned as I have the iPhone. Based on the the brochure the interface allows for USB connection so this gives more me more options for music connections. I'm just wondering if anything but an iPod-iPhone will give control from the MMI screen?
Anyone have thoughts on the necessity of adding the "drive select" and or "side assist options". My first thought on the side assist is "no".
Sorry to add another Q but, "COLOR COMBO"??
I'm going for either deep sea blue or a silver-grey colour (ice silver or sahara Silver). Does anyone have any of these colours and highly recommend a seat and decorative inlay pairing?
Old 12-23-2010, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Saljade
I'm going for either deep sea blue or a silver-grey colour (ice silver or sahara Silver). Does anyone have any of these colours and highly recommend a seat and decorative inlay pairing?
I love Deep Sea Blue with the brown leather. I'm getting an S5 Cabriolet with DSB/Brown -- the S5 has a different color of brown than the A5, but I actually like the A5's better and would have chosen it if I could. I saw a DSB/Cinnamon A5 in the showroom yesterday and it was gorgeous.

Not sure on the inlays. I personally think the wood inlays look best with the brown leather, but I know others disagree with me (a lot of people don't like wood in this car at all). It seems like the other ones are too "cold" for the warm leather. I'm actually getting stainless/piano black inlays on mine, but that's because it's what the dealer had coming and I didn't feel like doing a special order just for better inlays (everything else about the car is exactly what I wanted). Hopefully I'll like them....

If you can, try to find a dealer in your area that has some of the options in stock so you can see them in person. It's really hard to get a feel for the colors without actually seeing them. Pictures online rarely do it justice. A larger dealer should have at least some of them.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you get your car yet? I recently picked up my A5 Jan 21, black on black with aluminum. The iPod part, was kind of annoying at first, since i replaced my broken iPod classic with a 64gb touch and i used to use it alot(yeah its only been like 2 weeks lol). Now, i just leave it in and have only synced it once since leaving it in my car since MOn of last week. since you have an iphone, you could use the aux cable option in the center console, but IMO, its not as "fun". for the longer trips, i guess you could leave it in the glovebox, BUT if u have bluetooth enabled and have passengers, i see this as an issue if you want to have a more "private" conversation.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have not made a final decision about the A5. I will probably go with a previous suggestion of not using the iPhone in the car but get a used iPod just for the car. I've been convinced to look at some other cars (won't mention any names). I do LOVE the A5 but for other reasons started looking at lease options vs purchase and there are some great no $$ down lease options out there. I'm still holding out that Audi will come up with a great lease option ( thou the A5 is never really included in their deals). Thanks.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went w/ the SD card. Much cheaper than an iPod.

I like the way I can arrange the music into folders that have a theme. I don't listen to music the way that the Audi jukebox arranges it. You should consider folder navigation and how each media stores your music.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gfunk808
I went w/ the SD card. Much cheaper than an iPod.

I like the way I can arrange the music into folders that have a theme. I don't listen to music the way that the Audi jukebox arranges it. You should consider folder navigation and how each media stores your music.
I'm still waiting on my car, but I have a SD Card ready for it that I arranged in folders. My questions are...

1. How does the "Audi jukebox arrange it"?
2. Does the jukebox mix from throughout the card?
3. Mix only within the folders...or is it some other way?
4. Can I set up playlists through the MMI or do I have to have it set on the card before hand?

Sorry for the questions...just want to be ready...

Quick Reply: Audi A5 101