Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi A5 2.0 Terrible Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by esmalley007
Called Prestige Audi. They told me to try a different Gas company. I usually use BP and Shell. Will try Chevron per their recommendation. The person I spoke to told me he has no idea how they could check why the mileage is so low, but that I should not push the engine when I drive. I told him I have specifically avoided going past 2000-2500 rpm. I will try measuring one more tank manually and then call them again.

If the mpg remains low is there anything I can do, or am I basically stuck with it?
Do what they requested and measure it once more. I don't think you are stuck with it. I'm sure there's something they can do about it.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Houstonmobilian
U bet u should. I leased my car a week after you and I'm getting 25-26 mpg overall driving! I only fueled the car with 93 Octane gas and you should check your oil level too. I had to add some around 2300 miles.
I have been getting good mileage with my car. Sometimes the readout shows mid teens but it improves as I motor along. I've seen mileage on the display as high as 33mpg. I needed oil about then too. Not used to that after driving Toyotas for 30 years.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am only getting in the mid-teens for MPG. I've got a '10 2.0T Quattro and I only drive it about 5 miles to/from work. esmalley007, I feel your pain as I'm wondering the same thing about my car. I do think that it's b/c we only drive small amounts at a time. I've had my car since October and I only have 3500 miles on it. I do drive it in Sport mode and only put in 91. I personally think the "different gas" idea is a waste and we just need to open it up more often.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hockey10
I too am only getting in the mid-teens for MPG. I've got a '10 2.0T Quattro and I only drive it about 5 miles to/from work. esmalley007, I feel your pain as I'm wondering the same thing about my car. I do think that it's b/c we only drive small amounts at a time. I've had my car since October and I only have 3500 miles on it. I do drive it in Sport mode and only put in 91. I personally think the "different gas" idea is a waste and we just need to open it up more often.
In Sport mode, I notice the car is always revving higher and stays out of the higher gears. That will destroy MPG for sure.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by esmalley007
Called Prestige Audi. They told me to try a different Gas company. I usually use BP and Shell. Will try Chevron per their recommendation. The person I spoke to told me he has no idea how they could check why the mileage is so low, but that I should not push the engine when I drive. I told him I have specifically avoided going past 2000-2500 rpm. I will try measuring one more tank manually and then call them again.

If the mpg remains low is there anything I can do, or am I basically stuck with it?
I have an '10 A4 with 2.0T and automatic. My worst mileage (and I'm just at 5000 miles) has been 19 mpg in stop and go city traffic during brief daily commutes. I rarely use Sport mode. Mileage for straight highway driving is 30-31. I usually use Shell gas, which is one of those on Audi's recommended list, but other gas hasn't changed the mileage. If you're getting 15 mpg, something is wrong.

BTW, most people find the trip computer routinely reads 10-15% high in computing your average mpg (my numbers are based on filling the tank, driving the car, and dividing the odometer reading by the number of gallons needed to fill the car).
Old 05-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Last time I put in a full tank of gas was a week ago today. Since then, I've been driving the car 60 miles a day, except yesterday, for work and then where ever else I need to go. FYI drove all weekend, as well. A little bit below a quarter tank of gas now. 6th gear is your friend on the highway. I guess the gas mileage in a stick shift really is better than an automatic?

Gonna fill up today and reset the trip meter. See exactly how much I can get out of it.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g02sle3p
Last time I put in a full tank of gas was a week ago today. Since then, I've been driving the car 60 miles a day, except yesterday, for work and then where ever else I need to go. FYI drove all weekend, as well. A little bit below a quarter tank of gas now. 6th gear is your friend on the highway. I guess the gas mileage in a stick shift really is better than an automatic?

Gonna fill up today and reset the trip meter. See exactly how much I can get out of it.
Old automatics??... Perhaps but latest generations of either tiptronics/dsg/pdk etc.. they tend to engage as fast as possible to the highest gear to minimize fuel comsumption. For instance, the S5 with the tiptronic box don't get the guzzler tax on top fo the final price due to getting better mileage than the 6speed manual gearbox, just like I said, the Tiptronic will go straight for the 6 gear if driven easy and comfortable. Give some time to your car to get some more readings/averages calculated, switch gas stations, try higher octance gasolines, shift fast from 1st to 2nd and third and so on, try to use 5th and 6th more often as opposed to drive in lower gears and higher rpm's
Old 05-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok guys. Just filled up. 15.4 gallons 241 miles. 15.64MPG. The last 60 miles were all highway miles at 55-60mph.

I filled up with Chevron yesterday and will give it one more go before reposting or taking to dealer.

On a side note, when I filed up the ECU shows 345 miles to empty. Are u guys getting the same number?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think it's the short commute that is killing the mpg. most of the trip is while the car is getting up to temp.

Additionally, when you do drive, is your commute such that you will accelerate briskly at times, getting into the turbo boost? That can double the consumption when car is still not warmed up...

during the last 60 miles at freeway speed, did you have the instant mpg display on? If so, what was it reading?

How do your exhaust tips look? Black? Grey? Oily? Dry/powdery?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spaniardone
something is definitely not right in you car, I don't think I've ever seeing 15mpg reading in my car. Are you running the AC in your short commute?? Are you carrying any weight in your trunk?? Perhaps your tires are no balance.. all these factors added could result in low mpg's.. I am surprised 'ItsdeucheC' hasn't come up with the answer yet.. he must be working around the clock to find the solution to your case hehehe
I have the AC auto at 70* (It's miami) Trunk is empty, I really haven't check the tire balance since the car is new and I dont feel any pull which I assume is how you notice if tires arent balance.

Quick Reply: Audi A5 2.0 Terrible Gas Mileage