Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi A5 2.0- Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok has anybody mentioned that this is a different 2.0T than the one in the previous A4. So unless you've driven a 2009 A4 you haven't driven this 2.0T. Just a thought. It's smoother than the old one. I will say this, MT cars have less engine vibration in the B7 bodystyle. The new 2.0T is smoother and quieter. But what do I know about Audis.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this talk about how awful the 2.0T is and how it's somehow devaluing the A5 is ridiculous.

First, small turbo engines have been a big part of Audi's "essence" for a long time now. When the 2.0T has been offered along the 3.2 (or predecessors like the 1.8T and 3.0/3.1L V6s) it has always far outsold the V6. And way before someone came up with the first Juice Box for the 335i, Audi tuners were finding ways to come up with incredible performance from the turbo-4. The new 2.0T already performs comparably to the 3.2, and with a $500 chip it will easily outperform it. Of course, the 3.2 sounds better than the 2.0, and it is wonderfully smooth for a V6 (almost approaching the smoothness of the BMW I-6, which is high praise). It is a more refined engine, as opposed to the sportier and torquey 2.0T.

And seriously, does a $3000 difference really devalue the A5? Starting at $37K instead of $40K? It's an entry-luxury coupe, not a Maserati or even a 6-series. Audi marketing did a great job by introducing the S5 first, since it made the A5/S5 series seem more exclusive than it is (and the initial waiting list certainly helped). But at the and of the day the A5 is in the same class as a 3-series coupe and isn't a truly "exclusive" car.

For what it's worth, BMW has stated it's planning to use a twin-turbo four-cylinder in the next 3-series (probably as a replacement for the 328i model). Even Ford is replacing larger engines with smaller turbo'd ones.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, and I fully expect to see a similar thread next year when the supercharged V6 S5 comes out and starts at under $45K. If you think the 2.0T devalues the A5, wait until Audi repositions the S5 to compete head-to-head versus the 335i coupe (instead of between the 3-series and the M3).
Old 06-19-2009, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it isn't a luxury car, then what is it? I am curious. Entry-Lux? I doubt it. If mean, if its a Audi it should be in the same league as BMW and Mercedes.
Brand perception is higher than a Ford and on par with BMW and probably above Merc (they dont have the image they used to) but the pricing on the basic models is in the same bracket as Ford and Vauxhall (GM). The A5 2.0 is geared to cater for the Ford market and is a step up from the 1.8 engine that is on offer with the A5.

My wife has a the 2.0 in her A3 cab and its a great engine. Miles better than the 2.0 in older models.

Whether its Audi or BMW (or similar), the base models are basic and no better than a Ford. You have to buy a lot of extras and move up the model range for them to really be considered close to luxury and no matter which A5 you buy, it is not in the luxury bracket.

You could call it a premium brand model but its not a luxury one.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Seems they could have dug into the VAG parts bin and put together a 250+ HP 5 cylinder TFSI engine for the A5.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

A $50K car is not an "exclusive" car. I am very happy, however, that I've been living in the bay area for 3 months now and have only seen 4 or 5 A5's out and about. I see more 911's and Maserati's than A5's.

This is still an exclusive car in the sense that there are not many on the road, but that's simply because of low production numbers for 2008 and 2009. Adding another engine choice does not necessarily mean that the market will suddenly be flooded with "cheap" A5's. The economy is still in a bad state and dealer allocations for the coming year are low.

Interesting comment on luxury vs. entry-luxury. One might consider the A4, 3-series, and C-Class lines entry-luxury sedans within the three big German brands. Does that make the A5 an entry-luxury coupe? It shares the same platform and interior with the A4, so maybe. Honestly, I don't care how it's classified because it's a gorgeous car and I'd take it over a more expensive "luxury" 6-series or Benz any day of the week.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I figure, even with the 2.0TFSI, it will weigh in well over $40K.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Have to agree, it definitely dilutes the brand. No business with that engine in the A5. The point of Audi is supposed to be premium, they shouldn't be aiming to try and get an Audi in everyones hands.

Of course, I say that having purchased an S5. But, I started with an A4 1.8t almost 9 years ago, you upgrade, it was good entry level, the A5 should not have an entry level it's too nice of a car to cheapen, like that.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DoubleDoom
Brand perception is higher than a Ford and on par with BMW and probably above Merc (they dont have the image they used to) but the pricing on the basic models is in the same bracket as Ford and Vauxhall (GM). The A5 2.0 is geared to cater for the Ford market and is a step up from the 1.8 engine that is on offer with the A5.

My wife has a the 2.0 in her A3 cab and its a great engine. Miles better than the 2.0 in older models.

Whether its Audi or BMW (or similar), the base models are basic and no better than a Ford. You have to buy a lot of extras and move up the model range for them to really be considered close to luxury and no matter which A5 you buy, it is not in the luxury bracket.

You could call it a premium brand model but its not a luxury one.
That's utter BS, my S5 get's more attention than I've seen on the car. And you are kidding if you say they perception wise it's not luxury, I've never ever once valet parked and not had the car automatically parked up front. Most of the valets honestly believe it's a $100K car, you are grossly mistaken, especially the way the engine sounds and the fit and finish. It doesn't feel anything like the A4, it feels and looks far more expensive. Hence, why when they first introduced the 5 in the US, they introduced the S5 first as the only car you could get in the 5 brand. And I don't know what world you are living in but I got all the options and paid manufacturer which was close to $70K, that's pretty dayum luxury to me.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wgosling

This is still an exclusive car in the sense that there are not many on the road, but that's simply because of low production numbers for 2008 and 2009. Adding another engine choice does not necessarily mean that the market will suddenly be flooded with "cheap" A5's. The economy is still in a bad state and dealer allocations for the coming year are low.
Plus the sucky lease rates (5%+ interest) will keep the A5 "exclusive" for the foreseeable future. The A4 is a much more sensible and practical choice.

Quick Reply: Audi A5 2.0- Why?