Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi A5 2.0- Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acadia
That's utter BS, my S5 get's more attention than I've seen on the car. And you are kidding if you say they perception wise it's not luxury, I've never ever once valet parked and not had the car automatically parked up front. Most of the valets honestly believe it's a $100K car, you are grossly mistaken, especially the way the engine sounds and the fit and finish. It doesn't feel anything like the A4, it feels and looks far more expensive. Hence, why when they first introduced the 5 in the US, they introduced the S5 first as the only car you could get in the 5 brand. And I don't know what world you are living in but I got all the options and paid manufacturer which was close to $70K, that's pretty dayum luxury to me.
Well he lives in the UK, so there might be some differences in perception among the various brands. I understand that the big German brands are not as exclusive over in Europe. In the U.S., you wouldn't really discuss Ford in the same range as Audi and BMW.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the infiniti does not compare to the Audi period

Originally Posted by one_tracker
The 2.0 is one of the many reasons I bought the Infiniti instead of the Audi. The exhaust note alone made the decision easier. I am still a big fan of the A5 but Audi has a long way to go as far as value for the money is concerned.
i had 2006 G35 coupe before my A5 3.2 S line and as I agree the G 37 is faster The fit and finish of the car is no where near comparable. The ride quality, interior quietness, and overall materials used and craftmanship is far better.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is the A5 luxurious? Yes. Is it exclusive? No. Exclusive is a Ferrari or Bentley. Who cares what engines are put into the A5, get the car that you want and be happy. The second you buy your car and drive it off of the lot, it is already worth less then a new 2.0T A5 will be anyway. Stop complaining, it's called marketing, and it is a very smart marketing move, they will sell more. If you wanted exclusivity go by a Ferrari.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i just don't like the idea of the engine having no power when the a/c is on.
Is this really true?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, it does cheapen the brand a bit. But when they add up all the sales and profits at the end of the year, they'll be making more money due to more sales. The 2.0 will lower the price point and make this car accessable to people who would not normally be able to purchase it. Believe it, it's all money related. Audi wants sales, and this is an easy way to get more. The same thing happens with other Audi launches... they start off with the higher engines and eventually offer cheaper ones as the model ages. The last/current A4 Cabrio is a good example.
BTW, I am one of those who can't afford the current A5, but would be able to with the 2.0. I'll be in for 2011.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pudding
Is the A5 luxurious? Yes. Is it exclusive? No. Exclusive is a Ferrari or Bentley. Who cares what engines are put into the A5, get the car that you want and be happy. The second you buy your car and drive it off of the lot, it is already worth less then a new 2.0T A5 will be anyway. Stop complaining, it's called marketing, and it is a very smart marketing move, they will sell more. If you wanted exclusivity go by a Ferrari.

I think the S5 is more gorgeous than either the quattro port or some ofthe ferrari's hands down. Audi, should keep the A5 exclusive they originally positioned it between the 3 and 6 series. Sometimes it'snot about slaes, they aren't going to sell 1 million coupes anyway, and they shouldn't try, they should have kep the 5 brand as a show piece. Even if I had the money to buy a ferrari 430 or bentley continental gt coupe, I'd still would have went with the S5 , if I could only get 1 of those cars, and that's the truth, perfect practicality and fun, and for sometime exclusivity.

The 2.0t coming , cheapens the brand period, and they really honestly had a gem on their hands. Guy pulls up next to me yesterday and said, dayum, what is that, I swore it was a BMW, I've never seen an Audi like that. This car is way to gorgeous to simply go ahead and make it common or try and make it common. What a waste.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh please. Everyone is acting as though the 2.0T is magically going to knock $10K off the price of the car and that Audi is going to position it against the Honda Accord. A $3K difference in price is not really going to bring the A5 downmarket when the price for a Premium Plus car is $42K instead of $45K.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scottacus
Oh please. Everyone is acting as though the 2.0T is magically going to knock $10K off the price of the car and that Audi is going to position it against the Honda Accord. A $3K difference in price is not really going to bring the A5 downmarket when the price for a Premium Plus car is $42K instead of $45K.
The point is why do I want to save 3,000 dollars and still end up paying 42,000 dollars for a tiny 2.0T engine that saves a little more MPG overall while the BMW 328 with the 3.0 engine has same gas mileage more power and large displacement. Or the Infiniti G35 with similar gas mileage and more powerful engine. It seams unreasonable. Audi should increase their displacement and work harder to give good gas mileage per displacement to compete with its competitor.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
The point is why do I want to save 3,000 dollars and still end up paying 42,000 dollars for a tiny 2.0T engine that saves a little more MPG overall while the BMW 328 with the 3.0 engine has same gas mileage more power and large displacement. Or the Infiniti G35 with similar gas mileage and more powerful engine. It seams unreasonable. Audi should increase their displacement and work harder to give good gas mileage per displacement to compete with its competitor.
The 2.0T has significantly better gas mileage than a 328xi, especially with MT (22 city/30 hwy/25 combined versus 17 city/25 hwy/20 combined). It is also faster 0-60 with an AT (6.7sec vs 6.9sec, for some reason Audi doesn't publish official 0-60 for the MT in the US). And of course the 2.0T has FAR more torque (258 lb-ft versus 200).

The BMW N53 engine is excellent and I don't mean to knock it at all. But just because it has higher terminal HP close to redline doesn't mean it is going to be a better (or faster) engine day-to-day versus the 2.0T. And of course you can chip the 2.0T for more performance.

And considering BMW has already stated they are moving to a twin-turbo 4-cylinder in the next 3-series (essentially replacing the 328i) I would say this is an area where Audi is ahead of the curve. Displacement is shrinking and forced induction is increasing.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scottacus
The 2.0T has significantly better gas mileage than a 328xi, especially with MT (22 city/30 hwy/25 combined versus 17 city/25 hwy/20 combined). It is also faster 0-60 with an AT (6.7sec vs 6.9sec, for some reason Audi doesn't publish official 0-60 for the MT in the US). And of course the 2.0T has FAR more torque (258 lb-ft versus 200).

The BMW N53 engine is excellent and I don't mean to knock it at all. But just because it has higher terminal HP close to redline doesn't mean it is going to be a better (or faster) engine day-to-day versus the 2.0T. And of course you can chip the 2.0T for more performance.

And considering BMW has already stated they are moving to a twin-turbo 4-cylinder in the next 3-series (essentially replacing the 328i) I would say this is an area where Audi is ahead of the curve. Displacement is shrinking and forced induction is increasing.
Excellent point. Well Said.

Quick Reply: Audi A5 2.0- Why?