Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi Drive Select Feature?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting.

So either AoA is completely in the dark, Audi used the same MMI firmeware as in the A4/S4 and just didn't bother disabling those features, or that car is from the future.

I'm a big fan of time travel myself. Wonder if it has a flux capacitor too.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just watch the view from Paul Rivera of Audi Club NA on Youtube...

At roughly the two minute (2:00) mark, Mr. Rivera shows the Audi Drive Select as part of the console. At roughly the five minute (5:00) mark, Mr. Rivera talks about the quattro torque vectoring system and then he continues to give a full demonstration of Audi Drive Select, via the MMI, Audi Lane Assist and Audi Side Assist.

I think that Audi is being very coy about Audi Drive Select for one major reason. Audi wants BMW, and a lesser extent, Mercedes to show their hands with the M3 and C63. I know that many feel that the S5's biggest competitor is the BMW 335i; however, if Audi can successfully position the S5 between the 335i and M3...

By waiting until the M3 is released and in the public's hands, Audi engineers are then able to refine the Audi Drive Select to match the handling characteristics of the S5 to that of the M3. BMW has stated that a major market for the M3 is the United States. If Audi can deliver a successful value proposition for the S5 compared to the M3, it can gain a foothold in the high-performance coupe market.

Remember that Audi has touted the new platform and stressed the modularity factor; however, technical details are few beyond the new drivetrain configuration. From what I have read, the electronic architecture is, too, modular. This would allow Audi to evolve the product over the model life as new technology is made available. The Audi Drive Select could be evidence of the new technical philosophy.<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alvAaQ4LuCE">S5 review with Audi Drive Select</a></li></ul>
Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No, AoA is probably not in the dark

I recall that the 1-800 number is handled by an outside company on behalf of AoA. Therefore, it can be expected that the outside company would not have access to product-specific information beyond what is provided by AoA.

AoA will not "officially" release information until the model is released for sale.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sent this to Audi Club NA

And hopefully I'll hear back from them soon...

Hello, please forward this to Paul Rivera who just did the video review of the 2008 S5.

"Hi Paul, in the video the car clearly has the Audi drive select feature. There is a big debate going on right now amongst those of us who have this car on order - this feature was totally unexpected and according to Audi as of today not even planned on this car for 2008.

So...Is the car you reviewed indeed one of the first US spec production cars ordered from a dealer? If that feature is going to be showing up on US soil cars that's a major coup by Audi keeping that quiet. I hope it is.."
Old 09-27-2007, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Man Audi drives me nutz, I'll say this about MB

They never leave you wanting for features. They are good about releasing models with all the features, not coming up with something new and interesting 5 minutes after a new model release and saying, nope you can't get it?

Sure Audi makes a more enjoyable car to me, but this is the one thing, Audi needs to really work on, is there production pipeline. You've got eager buyers and missing features? WTF? I'm ready to purchase but I keep thinking about holding off, because, I keep hearing about new features that will coming down the line. How about you release a brand new spanking model, with everything under the son, wait a year or two and introducing the new stuff. Just think how eager will be the beavers who bought the new car 2 years ago will be to get their hands on new gadgetry.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That makes sense. The official brochure (AudiUSA.com)

specifies a 3-spoke steering wheel and no mention of Audi Drive Select. I think if we were getting it, it would be mentioned here.

This is a major detail that seperates it's vehicles from the competition.

IMO the video is of a pre-USspec model that was in the states months ago.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/Audi_A5/S5/eBrochure.html">Official 2008 Audi A5/S5 eBrochure</a></li></ul>
Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree. For those of us that ordered early, we unfortunately won't see it.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default We'll get the three-spoke. The video was a test of a pre-production example

I don't believe things were set in stone at the time the video was reproduced, Audi America was probably still trying to pin options down. Audi Drive select would make more of an impact with Torque Vectoring which we won't see for awhile. Those options would also raise the base price of $50,500 higher at a time when even the current price is scrutinized to that of a 335.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Is torque vectoring different from the active rear differential he talks about?

He mentioned distributing torque to the wheel that needs it which is what I thought torque vectoring did.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default You're assuming these features would be standard, and that's doubtful...

Based on where the buttons are positioned you couldn't have the MMI controls on the console as they are without Nav. My guess is they'll be included in the tech package or be options requiring Nav &amp; Tech.

Quick Reply: Audi Drive Select Feature?