Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi R8 or New Aston martin V8 vantage

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi R8 or New Aston martin V8 vantage

Hi guys, I know this might not be the best place to ask this, but i would love to hear what your choice would be between the Audi R8 and 2009 aston Martin V8 vantage (with new interior).
I'm thinking of getting either one of this lovely machines to add to my beautiful 2009 Audi S5.
I'm kind of looking for a very beautiful, luxury but also sporty pick.
All your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

If you already have an S5 I would add the R8 as a more focused sports car. The AMV8 is nice but not that quick. And until they get rid of the Ford/Volvo cast-offs from the interior I think you're looking at a let down of an interior. Compare the interiors of the AMV8 and the R8 and the Audi has a much better fit and finish. You should also look at a GT3 (but then I'm biased...) if you want a car that handles really well but is still comfortable enough on the road.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do the Aston, they have a certain vibe about them (at least the DB9's do) that the R8 won't give you, plus you already have a nice audi. if you're thinking about that segment, you might also want to consider a Maserati Granturismo, it's got extreme luxury and performance with that ferrari derived V8. I've looked at all three myself for a family member and i would go for the Maserati.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wießes Quattro
Do the Aston, they have a certain vibe about them (at least the DB9's do) that the R8 won't give you, plus you already have a nice audi. if you're thinking about that segment, you might also want to consider a Maserati Granturismo, it's got extreme luxury and performance with that ferrari derived V8. I've looked at all three myself for a family member and i would go for the Maserati.
Maserati GT is a very sexy car. Not really sure how they are regarding reliability. I personally find it more appealing than the DB9.

R8 is a very different car than either.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The new 911 T when it comes out
Old 05-02-2009, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default I own a 2009 S5 and a 2007 AM V8, have track driven the R8

I love my S5 for daily driving but the Aston is a special event every time you get in it. It is also achingly beautiful, nothing else on the road is as gorgeous. Lambos and Ferraris are cool but hard to live with on a day to day basis. One of my friends sold his V8 for a 430 and now regrets it because he can't carry anything in the Ferrari, can't really park it any where and is frustrated driving it on the street. I like the R8 but it is sterile. The S5 actually has more driving character. I spent a day at Infineon Raceway driving the R8 and the S5. I found the R8 quick but boring. I actually enjoyed the S5 more. You can't really put a foot wrong in the R8. The chassis is so planted it could use more power (ergo the V10). The Aston is a special event and the new 4.7 is easily as fast as a 911S. Having track driven my 4.3 many times, it is a hoot. It could use more power but that has been fixed with the 4.7.
Let me know if you want to talk colors on your Aston, that's where the fun begins. Beautiful paint and yards of leather!
Old 05-02-2009, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's funny but I seriously looked at trading my 911 for the new AMV8 with 4.7 and still found that it was disappointingly slow (it still misses mid-range torque as the M3 does) and the steering is still lacks feel around the straight ahead. And the interior, which I hoped they'd improved, still has a crappy Volvo nav cast-off and a Ford ignition key. If you;re buying a car in the $125k+ category those are unforgivable sins. I'm a Brit and I REALLY wanted to like this car, but I guess I'm going to have to wait for the next generation one.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default My thoughts

Le Chef,

The steering is actually better than it initially feels. It's not hypersensitive like a Porsche but for high speed highway driving it is very good. Better by a long shot than the S5 (which remember we all agree is a phenomenal car, right). For what it is intended to be, a long range GT, the V8 is better than all the Porsches I have owned (the best of which by the way was the 993). The sat nav does suck, that's why I didn't get it. The key is a Volvo key and I car live with that.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The S5 is a great car, no doubt and gets better with the sport diff this Fall. I would actually love to own one, but I'm trying to get Mrs. Chef into a Q5 so that takes priority.

The other GT worth considering is the Maserati Gran' Sport which is bigger than the AMV8 but looks and feels more luxurious. And I suspect the new Jaguar XK-R will be phenomenal if you want better value but still have Ian Callum design.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:57 PM

Thanks deak, i will certainly let you know, i enjoyed reading your respondse. I would love to hear your opinion on colours for exterior and interior, and i would also love to ask you what your choice would be between the standard shift and the auto.

Quick Reply: Audi R8 or New Aston martin V8 vantage