Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi R8 or New Aston martin V8 vantage

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Le Chef
I thought the interior of the new AM V8 was greatly improved, it's just identical to the DBS, and the key was also changed to the new ECU which is also about the same with the DBS.
If i may ask, do you think the maserati GT is a better looking car than the AM V8.
Please share your thoughts, i would love to hear more from you.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Colors and tranny on an AM V8

tinnez,
I like the manual and that is what I have on my car. It's a heavy and very mechanical transmission made by Graziano (they make the Ferrari and Maserati tranny's). If you want to not have to shift, then the Sportshift is now very good. It's actually faster on the track than the manual. It's great for every day driving as well but there is one thing that transmissions of this type do not like doing and that is backing up, especially up inclines. That action tends to fry clutches, happens with Lambo's e-drive and Ferrari's F1 as well. You should also get the sport pak which changes the wheels and gives you firmer, more focused suspension.
As far as colors go, this is the big difference between Aston and other car makers. You can really personalize your car. My car is Mercury silver with a Black Cherry (read burgundy) interior. The Mercury is an amazing color and looks light silver in bright light and dark silver in less light. It has a olive green undertone and is very distinctive, everyone who sees it, loves it. It's very Aston. There are so many amazing choices but I would caution you to try and see a car with your selected colors in real life before finalizing your order. And remember that can be pretty hard since there aren't that many Astons around. After all they bring 15 times more 911's into north america than Aston's.
If you were getting a convertible (they are as stiff as the coupe and drive as well) I would personally go Merlot red exterior and Sahara tan or Bitter Chocolate interior and a contrasting light colored stitch on the seats (not the dash to avoid reflections).
Let me know what sort of colors your thinking of and I might be able to give you more help.
The final thing about Aston ownership is the kind of people that own these cars, they tend to be very nice, unassuming guys. I'm a member of the local AMOC chapter and we meet once a month for beer. They are very different from the Porsche owners (I was a member of that group at one time, in my younger years), Ferrari owners and Lambo owners.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

The Gran' Sport is bigger than the Aston and is almost a full 4-seater. The Aston is a pure two-seater. The engine in the Maserati is a derivative of the V8 used in the Ferrari 430. The engine in the Aston is a derivative of a Ford V8 developed in conjunction with Jaguar and built by Cosworth. The styling of the Maserati is more voluptuous. The styling of the Aston more delicate.

At this level it's down to personal preference (decisions of the heart) rather than hard performance (decisions of the head). Rationally these cars don;t make sense whichever way you look at them, but both are cars that create a sense of occasion when you drive them. In pure performance terms the 911 Turbo will blow the doors of both of them for the same sort of money, and is the better car for driving everyday from the point of view of reliability.

I suggest driving all 3 and getting a sense of which one "fits" you best.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Le Chef
The Gran' Sport is bigger than the Aston and is almost a full 4-seater. The Aston is a pure two-seater. The engine in the Maserati is a derivative of the V8 used in the Ferrari 430. The engine in the Aston is a derivative of a Ford V8 developed in conjunction with Jaguar and built by Cosworth. The styling of the Maserati is more voluptuous. The styling of the Aston more delicate.

At this level it's down to personal preference (decisions of the heart) rather than hard performance (decisions of the head). Rationally these cars don;t make sense whichever way you look at them, but both are cars that create a sense of occasion when you drive them. In pure performance terms the 911 Turbo will blow the doors of both of them for the same sort of money, and is the better car for driving everyday from the point of view of reliability.

I suggest driving all 3 and getting a sense of which one "fits" you best.
I have mentioned it and now you have mentioned it.

How are the reliability ratings on the Aston and Maz?

My sense from talking to owners is that they do tend to spend more frequent visits to the shop.

This is purely anectdotal however. Anyone have info that is more analytic?
Old 05-03-2009, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default If all you want is performance

The AM V8 4.7 is quite a bit quicker than the Maserati. The Porsche Turbo is quicker than the AM V8 in a straight line. There isn't as much between them on a fast sweeping track (check the N-ring numbers below) but a Nissan GT-R or a Vette ZR 1 will stomp the Porsche (I know that fact really pisses off the Porsche guys!)

Vette ZR 1 7:26
Nissan GT-R 7:27
Porsche Turbo 7:38
Porsche 997 2S 7:59
AM V8 4.3 8:03
R8 8:04

Those numbers are for the old 4.3 AM V8 too. the new 4.7 is quicker. I don't know where people get the idea the car is slow
Old 05-03-2009, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Each car has different strengths, and yes the ZR1 'Vette is an amazing car for the money, but it's not a free lunch. The interior is still crap.

The GT-R's time is highly questionable: no independent driver has gotten close to Nissan's time and Walter Rorhl got a much slower time.

The 997.2S gets 7.56. 7.38 for the Turbo is an eon faster than 8.03. Even the 6 seconds between the 997.2 S and the AMV8 is a long time gap on a track.

The AMV8 is a nice car for sure. It may be fast but doesn't feel it and the steering is still not good enough for a sports car. What I don't know is how much difference the Sport Pack makes to the AMV8's steering and handling.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why not the V12 Vantage.. I think the AM V8 is too similar to the S5 to make it worth it. Get the R8.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 AM

Deak,
I was able to see the AM Vantage color you suggested, i went to the dealership and saw the exact color you suggested, but then i saw a great deal on a 2009 AM vantage (Onyx Black ext., and Obsidian black leather seat trim) on the internet.
I wanted to ask of your thoughts on the black on black AM Vanatage color. Personally i hate most black leather interior for when it gets a little bit old and starts showing the cracking lines on the seats.
...but how good is the Aston's back leather?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2009, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Onyx black is nice because it has a pretty coarse metal flake. I like black, two of my other cars (S5 and A6 Avant) are black. I have to say a black interior is really common and it seems a shame to pass up an opportunity to be a little more distinctive. I would actually do Iron Ore or even Red Fox for a sharp interior. If you do go black make sure you do a contrasting silver coarse stitch on the seats. I would avoid contrast stitching on the dash as it reflects in the windscreen.
Aston leather is superb, especially in the darker colors. There is so much leather in the car it's absurd. Look at the front of the door sills, the leather goes right up to the hinges. Also the "swan" doors are the smartest thing since sliced bread, they clear curbs, take less room to open and stay where ever you put them. It's small things like this that make the Aston special.
And a final bit of response, someone above asked about reliability. My V8 Vantage is almost three years old and I have had no problems, I have two other buddies with the car and they have had no serious issues. That by the way is much better than my last Porsche.