Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi S5 to Porsche Boxster S 2013

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S5 to Porsche Boxster S 2013

So do we have any converts yet? I was wondering how many of you looked at the new Boxster S and what you thoughts are in comparison the the S5 supercharged.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two totally different cars that are aimed for two completely different target customers. I am sure buyers for each will "consider" the other but in the end, each will stay with their original choice to serve their needs.

In my case, C4 is a better choice than Boxster because of AWD and 4 seats, however, S5 still wins out in the end as the better daily driver.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove the Boxster manual and the Boxster S PDK yesterday, and compared to the torque of my S8, it's a very different experience as they have to be wound out to get up to speed.
I'm assuming the supercharged V6 in the S5 would be similar in this respect to the naturally aspirated V10 in the S8, in that both have good low end torgue and get to 60 in 5 seconds or so, and both have the advantage of all wheel drive traction off the line.
After years of automatics I'm seriously considering the Boxster manual, it's amazing in the corners as a relatively light middle engine car should be, and the shifter's action is light and direct.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This discussion is really about whether you need a 4-seater coupe or a 2-seater sports car.

If you're the type who will occasionally haul people, like if you have family visiting or kids, cousins, brothers visiting, the S5 is more practical.

If you don't have anyone visiting you at all, and you're a lone wolf, or if you have a GF or wife AND you don't haul a lot of stuff for long-distance travel .. then a 2-seater coupe will be fine. You may also consider a TT-RS.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am fortunate to have both an S5 and a Cayman S. The Cayman is perhaps a moderately better track performer than the Boxster, but not by much. As others have said the major issues for anyone considering these cars are 2 seats versus 4, and trunk (or in the case of the Porsche, "frunk") space. As for how the cars handle - they are very different. The Audi is heavy, has a lot of weight hanging over the front, and at the track goes through brake pads at a prodigous rate. The Porsche is well-balanced, much nimbler, and although it has less power is (IMHO) a much more fun track car. But if you're considering convertibles only then track performance is probably not the most important factor for you. For driving to work and around town the Audi is a much more refined - more comfortable, more than enough power and quattro is excellent at handling damp or wet weather.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

One of the biggest problems is my local dealer. I will report more on this at a later time, once AUDI of America is finished with them.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Funny I am looking at these 2, I am sure most do not, but I am.

I am curious if you ever made a decision?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I sold my 2011 and got a 2013. The 13 is worlds better. The exhaust in dynamic mode sounds great. Fit and finish better again and the 2011 was great. I wanted the Porsche but refuse the give a dealer 10% profit on a 80k car. To much down side on resale. Resale goes to Audi. My 2011 was worth wholesale 5K less than I paid and retail about 2K less. The only problem was the dealer in my home town. I am glad I got it from Valley Motors in Hunt Valley MD. The SalesManager Carl was great to deal with as well as the salesman Ron. One thing I can say about Valley, they know how to detail a car for delivery. You won't have to touch it after.

Last edited by wreck111; 11-18-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
Funny I am looking at these 2, I am sure most do not, but I am.

I am curious if you ever made a decision?
You are NOT so different. I looked at the Cayman and the S5 also. I picked the S5 because it looks better and I liked the V8 sound.

I have an old 944 turbo so I get handling perfection from it. Otherwise I may have bought the Cayman.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I too am fortunate to have both. A 2012 S5 cabrio (Glacier white, black and carbon inside) and the 2013 Boxster S (Racing yellow with full leather and all the yellow trim inside). Okay I should have said we because the Porsche is the wifes, no, not because of the yellow. Funny really because I drive it way more than she does. Both are awesome but as many have said they are so very different. So lucky to have a choice nearly every morning. Tahoe and Accord in the winter. Guess which two are in the garage? Yep, no kids!

The Audi is so refined and so well built with all the classy comforts you would want. Every detail is so well built. The B&O is soooo good. Plus it has its mean side when you want it with the push of a button or two. Top down is special because temperature is not a factor, just put it down, you can be made comfortable hot or cold. And man is it sexy to look at right!
A road car you can take to the track.

The Porsche is not nearly as refined in its comforts but not deisgned to be I know...still damn nice with full leather package and a road ride if you want it with the push of a button or two. However, Sport Plus is simply awesome! The upgraded Bose it not in the same league as the B&O but still pretty good. Actually the car sounds way better than any system you could ever put in it. Top down is awesome but it better be warm out because it is breezy even with the wind screen! Sooo much fun to drive and sooo easy to drive. The finest pure drivers car I have ever driven!
A track car you can take on the road.