Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi S5 Tint Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. This is a well known issue with A5/S5. Your tint guy must have been a novice. They are 100% responsible for the damage.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xradman
Yup. This is a well known issue with A5/S5. Your tint guy must have been a novice. They are 100% responsible for the damage.
Lol. I have no idea. I was just annoyed to have this problem with a car I just bought. Sure its fun to drive but no music sucks.. Well its at the shop today. They will look at it and see if they will replace the amp or if i will have to pay for it.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I turned down the tint when I bought the car. Big mistake? Girlfriend worried about the car "looking too dark" from the inside if tinted (I think I posted this comment earlier also).

I have a few questions on tinting:

1. Still good for cabs or dumb since the top is down so often in the summer?

2. I don't get the %'s. Is 10% tint darker or lighter than 20% tint?

3. What's the optimal tint and who should I get it done by? Judging by this thread maybe taking it to the dealer is safest...
Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Toronto S5
I turned down the tint when I bought the car. Big mistake? Girlfriend worried about the car "looking too dark" from the inside if tinted (I think I posted this comment earlier also).

3. What's the optimal tint and who should I get it done by? Judging by this thread maybe taking it to the dealer is safest...
In my opinion you should get it done, since it will be down during the winter and rain.
The lower you go in percentage the darker it gets and the lesser the amount of light and visibility will be. 10% is significantly darker that 20%.
It preference really. 30% or high is for a more classy look for some and 20% and lower is so that you can't see inside the vehicle. Depends on what you are looking for. Keep in mind that night time visibility will decrease significantly in areas with less light if you start going below 20%.
Well, as long as you know about the problem with the water that i had, you should be fine. Wherever you decide to go, make sure you cover up the electronics such as the amp in the left panel of the trunk properly so they don't short due to water damage.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

correction will not be down*
Old 03-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

it's a very well known issue and most good tinters already know about it.
best thing to do is go OCD like i did lol get a trash bag, wrap the amp with it, then cover all and stuff as many towels around it, leave all stereo off as you drive to tint shop of course so no chance of heating...tell the tint shop ahead of time to be careful with using too much water on that back window. if they are a good tinter they'll tell you they don't use much water anyway but they are aware of the A5/S5 issue and will be obviously careful ;p

learned about if first here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=23593329

then saw it mentioned numerously on tinters forums, so by now chances are it's known issue if it's good shop
gl
Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Toronto S5

The small shop that has tinted my last few cars has given me terrific advice that I have followed: don't do a uniform tint. 10% is going to be like limousine glass. You probably don't want that anywhere, but I do have darker rear side windows than either the rear or the doors. The place you have it done should have a square meter of treated glass (e.g., on their store front) in each % so that you can discuss it intelligently. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check what your local laws are regarding tinted windows, too. The cops love to get all over cars that break those laws. I live in Chicago and it's ILLEGAL to have tinted windows AT ALL on the front windows (for four-door cars) and on the side windows and illegal for two-door cars to have it on the sides at all. So some cars get it done and it looks like crap (IMHO) to have the back windows dark and the front windows not tinted.

So I've learned to live without it at all - but if you can get it done, it looks great. Just don't make yourself a ticket magnet more than you need to.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

luckily the dealer is replacing it under warranty
Old 03-14-2012, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

50% is as low as I would dare go, I have 50% in CA where it is also not legal but have attracted no tickets in four years, despite getting a fix-it for something else the windows did not bring any attention.
What color is your car? On a white/light car, dark windows really stand out!

Quick Reply: Audi S5 Tint Warning