Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Bang Olufsen questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bang Olufsen questions

'09 A5 with BO sound system. I notice that frequently the DSP Bang Olufsen setting that I have 'Sound Set' set to 'All' will lose that setting. Not in the menu - it Always stays set to 'All' but the sound out of the speakers is producing the sound as if this was set to 'Driver'.....follow me? I have to change this setting to something else and then back to 'All' to get the surround sound I like. Anyone else notice this?

Also, what is the 'Surround' setting supposed to do? I can't hear that it really does anything?

Not so sure that 'Gala' actually does anything either? Is that supposed to control the speed sensitive volume?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hwks1
'09 A5 with BO sound system. I notice that frequently the DSP Bang Olufsen setting that I have 'Sound Set' set to 'All' will lose that setting. Not in the menu - it Always stays set to 'All' but the sound out of the speakers is producing the sound as if this was set to 'Driver'.....follow me? I have to change this setting to something else and then back to 'All' to get the surround sound I like. Anyone else notice this?

Also, what is the 'Surround' setting supposed to do? I can't hear that it really does anything?

Not so sure that 'Gala' actually does anything either? Is that supposed to control the speed sensitive volume?
I have a 2010 with B&O--I don't have any problem with the "All" setting getting dropped. The "surround" setting is supposed to be creating some rear channels from 2-channel sound sources (radio, cd's, SD cards, etc.). How well it works depends partially on how the audio source material was recorded (how many mics, for example), how loudly your rear speakers are playing versus the fronts, and the "all" versus "driver" setting.

The "Gala" is to control the speed-sensitive volume. It doesn't do anything on my car either (now it's called Gala Plus). I still have to raise the volume on the highway and lower it for city streets.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Agreed on the Gala setting. Seems to do nothing.

I can tell a difference with Surround when listening to the I-Pod. It seems to bring in a bit more mid-range. No difference at all when listening to Sirius.

I don't think I've ever had the issue of the "All" setting dropping out either.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm betting you have the same issue losing the 'all' setting. Go in to your settings and change to 'driver'. My hunch is you won't notice any change because it's already using that setting. Then change back to all....you will then hear what you have been missing. Not a big deal or anything. Just one of those things that once you become aware it is mild annoying.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

you have different settings for each audi system function if you didn't know. You may have the bass higher for iPod and down for the radio. Do you change key fobs or use the same one? different settings are saved with each fob. just throwing ideas out there.