Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Bang and Olufsen vs Bose

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A car is a hard environment . A superior sound system in a sporty Audi in terms of accuracy, soundstage , depth, etc while parked in your garage , may be trumped by a vehicle with a lower quality system that is in a larger interior car that is nauseatingly floaty, and quieter due to balloon-like tires when rolling along a freeway at 70 mph, where it matters most and where you spend most of your most attentive listening time.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's true CD quality.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Focal speakers, Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista amp and CD, Rega p7 turntable with Gram Slee phono pre-amp.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The difference is very easily discernible, but I believe its a matter of preference. I prefer mine set to front, although I usually drive alone.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Those are all good and probably will sound equal in the car. I go with the most convenient which is apple lossless. Basically my ipod stays in the car except when adding new music.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

All NAIM gear , Linn Sondek LP-12 - all analog LPs only . Even anyone wearing a wristwatch with a speaker must take it off , also, as that affects the sound . Actually, it's best no more than one person be allowed in the listening room.

No digital sound source allowed in the room .
Old 12-02-2009, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Inclined
All NAIM gear , Linn Sondek LP-12 - all analog LPs only . Even anyone wearing a wristwatch with a speaker must take it off , also, as that affects the sound . Actually, it's best no more than one person be allowed in the listening room.

No digital sound source allowed in the room .
Maybe you could just cut your ears off and leave them in the room.

I've built a fairly well isolated, low resonance, panel'd home theater in my house. However, in the context of whether or not the B&O systems sound better than Bose in an Audi, you may be over qualifying yourself as Captain Obvious.

I'm pretty sure a monkey could tell you the B&O sounds better.

I have the Bose. It's terrible. Just like every other Bose system I've had in a car before. It's hard not to be better than that. No matter what your cabin size and dimensions, or how thin your tires are.

/thread ?

Last edited by etvois; 12-02-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

B&O is one notch above Bose in the retail world - still " WalMart " , esp when you peel back the dated " yuppie " shiny styling and see the guts in their gear , not much different from Bose stuff that you get at Costco.

OTOH, have you listened to the NAIM system in $350K Bentley Brooklands ?

http://www.bentleymotors.com/models/...ooklands/naim/
Old 12-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quad 2905 Electrostatics, RM-9 Tube Power Amp, Sony SCD-777ES (Modded), Bent TAP-X Pre.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Inclined
B&O is one notch above Bose in the retail world - still " WalMart " , esp when you peel back the dated " yuppie " shiny styling and see the guts in their gear , not much different from Bose stuff that you get at Costco.

OTOH, have you listened to the NAIM system in $350K Bentley Brooklands ?

http://www.bentleymotors.com/models/...ooklands/naim/
In the mid to late 80's, I sold fairly high end custom systems working through college (McIntosh, NAD, Adcom, Luxman, ADS, B&O, etc.). I too hold a fairly dim view of Bose from my experiences then and now. But B&O is far from 'WalMart'. While it took a maddening approach to their systems (from the connectivity and compatibility side), the sound quality was mostly there, although not to the extent that the price tag called for. That 'dated yuppie' styling draws from Jacob Jensen, who was one the top mid-century modern designers and has a pedigree that goes beyond what you might perceive as an 80's look.

I respect those of you who have audiophile systems with phonographs at the heart of your system, but also see the merit in a more livable arrangement with the convenience of modern technology (cd's, apple itunes, etc). A lot of people reading this forum do not listen to music that would demand the precision of your instruments, but will see a marked improvement in the sound from the B&O system over the Bose in the S5 - IMHO..

Quick Reply: Bang and Olufsen vs Bose