Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

before i sign off on my a5, can use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default before i sign off on my a5, can use some advice

i agreed upon the a5 for 1500 off msrp 49131 drive out. i have already agreed upon the price but i am still on loan process so im not bound to contract to buy. i have a few questions before i sign the agreement.

With 1500 off msrp i thought i was getting a good deal for the A5 but i just researched and looked and they are charging me $697 for a dealer prep fee, which is "high" and they are not giving me the audi care plan for free which i have seen some people get free. Even after i agreed upon the price is this still negotiable? i am a first time buyer and had no idea about this. If they do not move down on the fee or waive should this break the deal or should i buy it anyways. With this economy right now im surrounded by negative comments about buying at no special interest rates, and so high above invoice.

I just want to get a fair price for my a5 and not even looking for a steal. Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:42 PM

Default $700 documentation fee is ridiculous, period.

Your $1500 off of MSRP is really $800 off.

They are entering your rearward facing orafice.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default has anyone else noticed the increase in fees since the economy tanked?

It seems to me there are many more posts on here now complaining about fees (detail, prep, etc.) that, if I recall correctly, none of the model year 2008 buyers on here like myself had to deal with. I find this especially interesting as the discounts on A/S 5s on the lot (with respect to MSRP) are becoming more common and more sizable.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe they are going through full sticker withdraws. ; /
Old 12-13-2008, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doc fee sounds high by a few hundred. Ask if they'll at least split the cost of Audi Care.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default You can try to do better but this is a fair deal, IMHO. Be fair in this economy ...

Here is how I look at it: If you can afford to buy a $50K auto in the midst of this downturn, you likely can afford a few hundred bucks either way. Meanwhile the average car salesman likely can not afford to buy the loaded A5 in this environment and they are hurting. They are likely making less than half of what they normally earn since sales are way down. Many dealers will be closing if this downturn persists. So do your part, be fair so a guy can feed his family and lets get this economy back to normal. I say that $1500 off is fair and you will enjoy the car for years. It is a GREAT and Gorgeous car that is very rare and turns heads every day.
What I noticed is that most guys notice the car. I get the "Thumbs Up" almost daily and German car guys, in particular, seem to know that Audi is the best look in the industry. BMW owners give the most kudos.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my delaer prep was $399 in Denver, CO, seems just a bit high
Old 12-13-2008, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh ... come on now, I know plenty of audi car dealers and they made gobs of money

This guy wants his A5 so your argument is he just give up a few dollars. That's ridiculous, so, when times were good, were the dealers going to give up a few dollars, were they going to sell the S5 for less than manufacturer when they knew they could get more. Forget that, adlenaly, look for a better deal don't do it.

And they want $700 in dealer fees, are you kidding me, ridiculous, sounds like an unscrupulous dealer to me, off top, just for that audicity they lose sympathy.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Doc fee = pure profit. S/B no more than $150-200. Everything is

negotiable but you should focus on bottom line, not how they got there. They definitely hooked you with the $1,500 off MSRP without mentioning the $700 doc fee so now you need to decide if you're comfortable with $800 off MSRP and no AudiCare. Generally speaking, it's not that bad of a bottom line deal, although the doc fee surprise is irritating. They're guessing that you won't walk away and even if you do, they'll sell your car to someone else for MSRP plus the $700.
Next time, get a signed order form that discloses all fees, taxes etc. when you place your order. Otherwise, this will happen again at many dealers. The reputable ones will gladly disclose everything upfront.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default ^^ He knows "plenty of dealers" but apparently doesn't know what it takes

to run a business. Does he even have an A5-S5? And how much money do you make?

Quick Reply: before i sign off on my a5, can use some advice