Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

The best reason why an M3 owner didn't buy an S5

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A poor driver will blame his car, a smart driver will blame himself.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not to back the guy up by any mean but the 911 Turbo isn't super in snow (comparing to other AWD). After getting treated by Audi after many winters, driving a 911 Turbo in snow was one of a kind experience. It was no where as I was expected. With Audi, you feel like you always has a bit of distance away from the limit of lossing grip. The Turbo, you are right at the border most of the time (and yes, with winter tires). To me, I was giving more attention not to get the sliding left and right even more than when I was driving the 545i in snow.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by questionlp
A poor driver will blame his car, a smart driver will blame himself.
Really? I was in a blizzard for 7 hours driving 25 MPH and saw 20 trucks off the road. After that I said I would never drive a RWD car again. It's not always about the driver
Old 08-22-2010, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gd10
I recently met a guy(32 years old) who was driving a brand new M3. I was checking his car out and he was checking out my S5 and he said to me:

" I would have bought the S5 if I didn't have a 911 turbo to drive in bad weather."
Lame excuse. I have a 911 turbo and I still bought the S5. And I don't drive either one in the winter (A4 Avant for winter duty).
Old 08-22-2010, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SantoDomingoS5
... S5 is a BEAST in a silky dress.
Haha, I've always described my S5 as a beast in a tuxedo
Old 08-22-2010, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snow day
Haha, I've always described my S5 as a beast in a tuxedo
Nah, S5 is too sexy to be male.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Really? I was in a blizzard for 7 hours driving 25 MPH and saw 20 trucks off the road. After that I said I would never drive a RWD car again. It's not always about the driver
Funny thing is, during bad snowstorms, I see just as many (if not more) SUVs getting into accidents as 2WD cars. Some people think that AWD/4WD is a magic solution to bad weather conditions, which if course it's not. So yes, most of the time, it comes down to driver error.

Here's a video that illustrates the point perfectly. Note that the only car that does not crash into anything is a *gasp* E90 3-series (likely the only one with winter tires).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCfxHKOijEo
Old 08-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
Not to back the guy up by any mean but the 911 Turbo isn't super in snow (comparing to other AWD). After getting treated by Audi after many winters, driving a 911 Turbo in snow was one of a kind experience. It was no where as I was expected.
I hate to belabor the point, but once again, were you driving with stock wheels/tires?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tiag335
Stop throwing a hissy fit - you are starting to sound like a whiny teenage girl. This is a public forum and not everyone is going to agree with your opinion. Might as well accept that fact.

By the way, you still haven't answered my question. Were you driving with stock wheels/tires? Cause I find it extremely difficult to believe that ANY car with AWD and traction control could be half as TERRIBLE in the snow as you claim the Turbo was. Methinks that the problem lies with the driver and not the car in this case.
I am not giving an opinion but a fact and I am not expecting anyone to agree with me, and yes it had winter tires and the 911 turbo was so powerful at the wheels that is 4wd didn't matter at all, going on light snowy roads at freezing temperatures all dash lights would come live in dashboard, traction control would go on and off like crazy, ABS malfunction warnings as well would go on and off, dashboard looked like a Christmas tree and the car felt like a rear wheel drive and i wasn't even going 30mph, it felt embarrasing while other drivers pass me by, it was then I understood what I was being told by its owner. So knowing what I did found out I find that 32 year old friend of gd10 to be a lame excuse. 4wd in porsches are engineered to provide grip on dry roads and help cornering, not for winter driving. Anyone who has experienced it can relate to what I just told, everyone else should just try it themselves if the get a chance one day or simply stay quiet.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SantoDomingoS5

By the way, how come you own an A4, speak in the A5/S5/RS5 thread and yet say that a 911 turbo would just handle as well as an S5 in the winter? You don't even own an A5 or S5 lol. You obviously don't know what you are talking about.
where do you come up with that I own an A4? I've posted dozens of pictures of my S5?

Quick Reply: The best reason why an M3 owner didn't buy an S5