Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Best way to handle internet private purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to handle internet private purchase?

Hey guys,

I'm SOOO close to pulling the trigger on an 08 S5! What would you guys recommend as the best approach for handling an internet purchase from a private party about 1000 miles away? I've talked to the guy numerous times and he seems on the up and up, but you can never be too sure nowadays. I've reviewed the carfax, but am going to have him take it to a certified Audi dealer to have it looked over at which point i'll talk to the technician to make sure the car is in the shape the owner claims it to be. How would you recommend handling the actual transaction itself though keeping both the owner and my interests in mind?

thanks!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Flight/drive down to take a look at the car yourself.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a car in 98 from 3 lousy jpg photos from a guy in Wisconsin. I am in PA. I bought a one way flight, landed and called the guy but he didnt answer. He forgot I was coming. 3 hours later after frantically calling him every 15 minutes I got him and we did the deal. Luckily the car was exactly as he said and I think I stole it for the price. In fact I turned around 5 years later and sold the car for what I paid which wasnt bad considering it was a honda del sol vtec.

Would I do that again today? Hell no!! Too many scam artists out there. I would suggest flying or driving out and checking out the car. Or have someone you know and trust who may live in the area do it. The investment in time and maybe a plane ticket is money well spent compared to what you could be facing down the road if the car has issues.

do your homework, get all the paperwork and ask tons of questions. good luck. Maybe someone from here can check it out or knows the owner too.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Q
AudiWorld Member

Would suggest maybe having someone here on the forums in that area check it out visually for you.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^ nobody would do it bc who knows you would run into prob later and blame it on them?

Just do what PARealtor said, one way ticket down there and drive back. Make sure that you see enough pictures and the car, assumingly, has everything you want. A test drive would do everything. Also, 1000 miles isn't a lot. I drove almost 700 miles roung trip last time for a set of speakers (retail for 7k + tax)
Old 03-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Q
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
^ nobody would do it bc who knows you would run into prob later and blame it on them?

Just do what PARealtor said, one way ticket down there and drive back. Make sure that you see enough pictures and the car, assumingly, has everything you want. A test drive would do everything. Also, 1000 miles isn't a lot. I drove almost 700 miles roung trip last time for a set of speakers (retail for 7k + tax)
Worked for me when I bought the Porsche. Had a guy on rennlist.com take a quick look at the car for me, turns out it needed a clutch which the seller paid for before I took delivery.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had actually thought about that idea as well, but instead thought if I had him take it to a certified Audi dealership of my choosing and spoke directly to the guy inspecting it at the dealership, that should take care of the inspection.

Q, when you bought your porsche, how did you handle the cash/car exchange? Obviously, in my case I'd prefer to receive the car before paying for it, and he obviously would like to receive the cash before sending it...this is where it may just be me taking a few days off work to get out there to inspect the car, and make the exchange.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zimmr6
Hey guys,

I'm SOOO close to pulling the trigger on an 08 S5! What would you guys recommend as the best approach for handling an internet purchase from a private party about 1000 miles away? I've talked to the guy numerous times and he seems on the up and up, but you can never be too sure nowadays. I've reviewed the carfax, but am going to have him take it to a certified Audi dealer to have it looked over at which point i'll talk to the technician to make sure the car is in the shape the owner claims it to be. How would you recommend handling the actual transaction itself though keeping both the owner and my interests in mind?

thanks!
If you really want it but pics and descriptions don't convince you 100%.. jump on a plane and pay it a visit and examine it yourself, test the car and do your math. Or have someone at your local Audi dealer check for you if the vehicle is at a dealer.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

there are companies that do pre purchase inspections for people buying used cars, one i am familiar with is www.carchex.com, costs $120 and they do a complete inspection for you and give you the report.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hire a Set of Eyes...

preferably a Audi dealer, have him take the car in and dealer reports results you....talk to service mgr and discuss inspection process in advance and cost. Good inspection, send a small token deposit, fly in and get your car....think about tags for the return trip

Quick Reply: Best way to handle internet private purchase?