Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

BMW to AUDI

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW to AUDI

How many of you have traded their whatever series BMW for any Audi?? I have and there is no comparison, Audi has mastered at last!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

There are positives about both cars. The 650i and 750 are magnificent cars
Old 07-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

what bmw did you have? what major differences do you like? rep DR holla
Old 07-27-2010, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SantoDomingoS5
How many of you have traded their whatever series BMW for any Audi?? I have and there is no comparison, Audi has mastered at last!
I just traded my 645 for the S5 last week. Like Omeletpants said, there are positives to each. I still feel like my BMW had a more... connected to the road/car feel to it. There were a few amenities that it also had that the S5 does not, however, I am extremely happy with the trade. My 645 interior felt so dated after sitting in the S5 and all of its... brand new technology. Granted my 645 was nearly 6 years old so that was part of the disappointment in the systems as it aged. I will miss the Harmon Kardon system, however, even though others frown as hard as they can at the HK systems. I greatly miss the 2 active subwoofers in the dash vs the very quiet B&O one mounted in the rear deck. I will say the B&O has very crisp and clear highs... and I think if i get a small 8" sub somewhere tucked away in the trunk I'll be happy with that portion again as well.

I really enjoy the sound of the Audi V8 every time I ease into the throttle though... much more aggressive sounding than the BMW was and easier to drive in manual mode since I can actually hear the engine. BMW was so muted that the manual mode was nearly useless.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by I'ma Lazzzzer
what bmw did you have? what major differences do you like? rep DR holla
I had several bmw's over the years and my last which traded in was a 335i, its interior was boring in comparison with S5 which is superb, there are tons of bmw's where i come from, S5 are very rare which make it far more exclusive and desired, i get thumbs up everywhere i go and well.. and the sound.. priceless when floored the four wheel drive sticks to the road rock solid which is something BMW lacks, their 4wd suck. My S5 feels as ferocious in dynamic mode as my 335 was, I however, feel more in control much more in control now and i don't even think twice before cornering again specially in rain, i somehow hated the 335 spontaneous drifting personality, some like it, I don't. I waited 8 months to get my S5 but it was worthy all the way.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did you get a discount for switching from BMW to Audi? I'm thinking of trading in my X5 for an A7 but not sure if it'll be worth it.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

2007 BMW 335 Cab/Auto Sport Package. Loved the car hated the local service in Annapolis Md. Also hated the run flats. The tires and service was the reason I would not go back. Also the interior is starting to look at little dated. On a plus side I have had 7 BMW's including a 2005 M3 cab with SMG, and this being my 3rd Audi looking forward to a lot more Audi's
White/Brown top, S5 Cab with Tuscan/Charcoal Interior SD, Premium Carbon Fiber Twin Spokes
Old 07-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Disagree - granted I went from an M3 to an A5 2.0T (thought that the Audi was better looking (and was less expensive than the BMW), but I miss the torque and handling of the BMW (even the 335i I test drove). Don't take me wrong, I love my A5, but there is definitely something to be said for the way BMWs drive.

Originally Posted by SantoDomingoS5
Old 07-28-2010, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BaltimoreA5
Disagree - granted I went from an M3 to an A5 2.0T (thought that the Audi was better looking (and was less expensive than the BMW), but I miss the torque and handling of the BMW (even the 335i I test drove). Don't take me wrong, I love my A5, but there is definitely something to be said for the way BMWs drive.
In your Audi's defense, neither the A5 or S5 is a direct performance competitor for the M3, if you are speaking of the E90/92 M3 that is? The E90/92 M3 is more RS5 territory. The 335i is a pretty good competitor in terms of performance for the S5, however, I think the S5 has the 335i beat by a long shot in terms of options, comfort, and style. I always find myself thinking the S series of Audi vehicles should be competing with the M series of BMW, however, its typically the RS series that competitive with the M series when it comes to performance.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went from a '98 540i 6-spd that I owned for 10yrs to a 2010 S5. I loved the 540 (which is why I kept it so long), but I think that body style was the high water mark for BMW. Since then, they styling has gotten worse - the new 2011 5-series is nice, but not really sporty enough for my taste (the front grill is ugly, the rims are not so hot, and it seems more luxury than sport).

And while I enjoyed my BMW, I got tired of the dealer trying to rip me off for several thousand dollars every time I went in there. One time, they wanted $7K for a new transmission assembly. Instead, I had an independant garage install a rebuilt drive shaft for $1K which solved my problem. And that wasn't the only time they tried to take me. Another time they wanted $500 for a new tire, which I had replaced at Mavis for $250 (same exact tire).

The S5 is great. I love the Quattro traction - my BMW was useless in the snow (one reason I would never consider an M3). The electronics are great - bluetooth, Bang and Olfsun, keyless start, NAV, 3G MMI, etc... I also love the styling - much better than the dime a dozen BMW's

Quick Reply: BMW to AUDI