Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

BMW beats Audi again for quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW beats Audi again for quality

Uh oh looks like Audi gets spanked yet again for quality by BMW.

See here:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080528/vehicle_quality.html?.v=3&.pf=family-home

DETROIT (AP) -- Luxury brands once again dominated an annual U.S. automobile quality survey by a California research company, but total quality dropped for the first time in four years, the company said.

BMW led all brands in the results released Wednesday by San Diego-based Strategic Vision Inc., followed closely by Hummer, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, Land Rover, Cadillac, Lincoln and Volkswagen.

I could understand if Audi cost less than BMW but they cost more so thats a shame.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I read this article and these quality assessments have nothing to do with quality?

From what it seems to read that BMW owners are the most fanatical about their cars, and least objective, come on now, all the reliability statistics that consider things like "how many cars have problems when they leave the factory, and so on" have the japanese are at thet top. Look, at the quality survey that was used,

"To get the rankings, Strategic Vision calculated the index based on survey questions about reliability, vehicle characteristics, dealership experience, styling, interior and exterior design and their overall perception of initial quality, said Alexander Edwards, president of the company's automotive division."

Perception of initial quality, styling, interior, exterior design? Am I missing something or all these subjective criteria, and BMW fans and perception seem to play the biggest part.

In other words this survey is Junk.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spanked... what an exaggeration. BMW led all brands followed closely by Hummer, Mercedes-Benz, Audi.

Beaten in quality, sure... but not spanked. <i>"BMW led all brands in the results released Wednesday by San Diego-based Strategic Vision Inc., followed closely by Hummer, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, Land Rover, Cadillac, Lincoln and Volkswagen."</i>
Old 05-30-2008, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Hmm... relying on BMW owners for a non-biased POV? Hah.

I'm not saying there isn't some merit to the study, as we know AoA's dealer network is ****-poor. According to the report...

"To get the rankings, Strategic Vision calculated the index based on survey questions about reliability, vehicle characteristics, dealership experience, styling, interior and exterior design and their overall perception of initial quality."

It's also not an independent study, as "Strategic Vision" has a <a href="http://www.strategicvision.com/">number of car manufacturers as clients. </a>

So, please save your "Uh oh looks like Audi gets spanked yet again for quality by BMW." comments for the BMW lemmings. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default mind you the owners had to have their cars for only a minimum of 2-3 months

meaning the "ultimate driving machine" marketing BS hadn't worn off yet.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default These surveys are always useless

Who hired the research company? Who is the company affiliated with? What questions did they ask? What other facts or statistics did they look at? Did they filter for owner bias?

Most importantly, how did they define "Quality"? Is it reliability? If so, I can't imagine MB coming out ahead. Is it fit and finish? Do I really need to say anything about that on this board?

There's just so much in these surveys that can skew them, that you can't rely on them for anything. At the end of the day, it's all about whether you are enjoying your car. I will proudly state that my B6 S4 has been an excellent car and I will be sad to see it go(But, I am sure my S5 will cure that).
Old 05-30-2008, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hard to understand.

I have late model cars from both Audi and BMW, I test drove the S5 and 335 extensively not to mention other new and old Audi's and BMW's I've driven and gotten to ride in and I find it hard to believe that BMW has higher initial quality. I have always found that the Audi's feel more solid and substantial, with higher quality materials and a great driving experience. Their reliability is average but according to the past few years of Consumer Reports it has been constantly improving. In the issue I have in hand from 2006 Audi had less problems per 100 vehicles in the first 3 years of ownership than BMW and I thought they were only getting better. Their reliability ratings are comparable but Audi was and I think still is ranked higher. As for BMW, I still believe the "Ultimate Driving Machine" hype, it's hard to ignore, but initial quality? Higher than Audi? Not even close. Audi by a mile.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: mind you the owners had to have their cars for only a minimum of 2-3 months

to be fair
the ultimate driving machine is not marketing BS
i test drove the 335 and 135
and i now own the A5
interior feel is much better in the Audi
you feel that you got a higher segment car
but in terms of driving pleasure
and controls
audi loses
Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 PM

Ummm, Hummer? That should automatically tell you that this survey is crap...
Old 05-30-2008, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Only a complete and utter moron would trust the pigs at Strategic Vision

Also, only a complete and utter moron would trust the pigs at JD Power and Associates. However, people to trust the pigs at JD P&amp;A are somewhat less complete and utter morons that those who trust the pigs at SV.

Figuratively speaking, JD P&amp;A and SV are Consumer Reports' slaves. Consumer Reports has confirmed that Audi's quality has improved enormously since 2005 and is now leaps and bounds ahead of BMW and Mercedes Benz. The gods at CR have also confirmed that the C6 (2005+) A6/S6 is the first Audi ever in North America to have near Toyota/Scion/Lexus and Honda/Acura levels of quality, reliability, durability and dependability.

Intelligent people stick with the gods at CR and pretend that the losers at JD P&amp;A and SV exist. Complete and utter morons stick with the pigs at JD P&amp;A and SV and ignore CR.

Remember that and you will be a far better vehicle consumer.

Quick Reply: BMW beats Audi again for quality