Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Bose vs. B&O

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by u080570
That's what I was wondering too.....
I don't think he heard it anywhere but probably experienced it first hand, all it takes is to remove your trim and take a look at the speakers. They're not B&O or Bose branded. They're the same generic speakers Audi uses in most of its models, unless of course you pay the big bucks for the full B&O package available in some models (A7, A8, etc.). Those packages come with actual B&O speakers.

The only thing that is truly Bose or B&O is the amplifier and maybe the B&O decal stamped on the speaker trim.

You can compare the two Audi B&O systems here:

Advanced System (A7, A8 and some others)
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/advanced-sound-system

Regular System (A5, S5, A4, S4 and some others)
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/sound-system

Last edited by Audiforumusername; 02-23-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiforumusername
I don't think he heard it anywhere but probably experienced it first hand, all it takes is to remove your trim and take a look at the speakers. They're not B&O or Bose branded. They're the same generic speakers Audi uses in most of its models, unless of course you pay the big bucks for the full B&O package available in some models (A7, A8, etc.). Those packages come with actual B&O speakers.

The only thing that is truly Bose or B&O is the amplifier and maybe the B&O decal stamped on the speaker trim.

You can compare the two Audi B&O systems here:

Advanced System (A7, A8 and some others)
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/advanced-sound-system

Regular System (A5, S5, A4, S4 and some others)
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/sound-system
Thanks for the links -- cool reading....
Old 02-25-2011, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Really this is hard to believe. Looks like Bose and B&O would make the speakers isn't that what they are in business to do. I am not doubting you in anyway. But where did you hear this.
I haven't taken apart my Audi's speakers, but it's a very common practice in the audio industry for speakers to be built with "stock" drivers that have the desired specs.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok guys got my car back on Monday. I have been searching for info on the best settings for the B&O. I found out that I was setting the treble to high. So I am running it about 3 dots past dead center and the bass about 5. I have focus set to all and GALA on and surround on about 4 dots from off. Sounds a lot better.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by John P. (TT 225)
Exactly.

This is all pretty funny. First, B&O and Bose do not make any of the hardware in any of these cars. It's all made by the same companies who make the other parts in our cars. The only involvement by anyone employed by B&O and Bose would be in the design and specification stages. And the marketing and legal departments for use of their trademarks.

B&O isn't making your speakers and sending them to the Audi factory. Sorry.
This is not true!

My cousin works in this industry. Both B&O and Bose supply speakers and component to Audi. The initial investment is done by Audi with Ask Industries and then Bose and B&O just supply their stuff and do some little tweaking to the system.

Bose makes their own components, including speakers amplifiers, etc. B&O just makes most of their own speakers, most of B&Os components are outsourced but still they are still supplied to Audi from B&O. Some of the amplifiers B&O use are supplied by Blaupunkt (Bang-Olufsen ICE power), and the 180 degree rising tweeter are licensed from some UK company

The other stuff such as speaker/sub encloses are made by the same company (Ask Industries) which also supplies Audi with their standard and premium Audio systems including amplifiers. Ask Industries and B&O also works together, some sharing sales channels and distribution & R&D work.

Bang-Olufsen are just like a brand and assembly company not manufacture, as they don’t really manufacture any of their systems, including the home devision, the LCD and plasmas are licensed and supplied by other companies.

Quite interesting B&O are experts when its come to manufacturing Aluminum, and they have worked with Audi long before the partnership of Audio. They supplied Audi Aluminum surface panels for some Audi model.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the Update
Old 03-08-2011, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for confirming what I believed to be true CarCrazy. Bose HQ is fairly close to me and I know they provide components.

It's a shame folks such as "John P. (TT 225)" speak "authoritatively" when they really have no clue. Such are all automotive forums I guess.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Huey52
Thanks for confirming what I believed to be true CarCrazy. Bose HQ is fairly close to me and I know they provide components.

It's a shame folks such as "John P. (TT 225)" speak "authoritatively" when they really have no clue. Such are all automotive forums I guess.

Read his response and you'll see that I'm not wrong. Take your car apart and tell me that I'm wrong. I've done this to two Audis over 10 years.

And dont forget to **** yourself.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

I've been driving the G37 alot so as not to put excess miles on my S5 Cab before trading it in. To my ears, the B&O system is head and shoulders above the Bose. The Bose has lots of bass, but it is muddy bass. The B&O system has lots more clarity.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

You took apart a couple Audi's sometime over a ten year timespan and that's your proof of current practices?

And nice language for a "senior member."

Anyway, although I have no B&O point of reference I find the stock Audi Concert system quite good once all the settings are customized.

Originally Posted by John P. (TT 225)
Read his response and you'll see that I'm not wrong. Take your car apart and tell me that I'm wrong. I've done this to two Audis over 10 years.

And dont forget to **** yourself.

Quick Reply: Bose vs. B&O