Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Bose vs. B&O

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C7fan
I don't think any of us, unless one of you works for Audi purchasing, actually knows if the system in the A8 costs 6x more for Audi to purchase than the system in the A4.
You are right, we don't know how much each system costs Audi, but we do know that the $5900 version comes with actual B&O speakers while the $900 only has a B&O amp. If you do a search, you will see that this topic was discussed many times on this board.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
There's a very good reason why the B&O system in the A6/A7/A8 costs six times more.
Probably there is more R&D and higher quality parts. However, it is extremely unlikely it should actually cost six times more.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
I hope you guys don't think that your $900 stereo system actually has B&O speakers! If that was the case, it would be the deal of the century. There's a very good reason why the B&O system in the A6/A7/A8 costs six times more.

As for Bose, my experience is that the sound quality of their systems ranges from terrible to very decent (though never exceptional). You can't possibly compare say, the Bose system from Eric's old A4 to the Bose system in a 2012 Q7. That's just totally apples to ranges.
The speakers have different part numbers which means your getting a different product. The standard Audi system is rated at 180w coupled with Audi speaker (made by ask industries) capable of handling 180w amplifier. The B&O amplifier is rated at 505w you can't pair it with 180w speakers... So the speakers are upgraded to B&O speakers and amplifier, when you opt for B&O.

In all Bose systems they use 100% of their own speakers. In relation to "what sounds better", it's totally down to personal preference. Some say Bose is ****, some say Bose is the best they've heard, we all interpret sounds differently, I personally think the sound system in the A8 doesn't sound that special for the money you pay.. I'm not wrong because it's my opinion!

You have to remember that the A8 sound system has higher rate components, over the other B&O systems, your paying the extra premiums for,

-Real aluminuinm speaker grills,
-19 speakers of which 19 are active,
-180 degree tweeters and rising motors,
-Ice power amplifier with over 1,400w of power vs the B&O A5 system at 505w
-movie mode and other different settings,

-And the other stuff we cant see, for instance the lower front door speakers in the A8 are rated at 120w each which are sealed in their own a high strength dedicated enclosure, not contacted to the cars frame, to minimise vibration!

There are a lot of differences, the above name just a few, whether or not you choose to pay to premium is up to you but the choice is there

Here is a link to some info on Bose that should help some of you still doubt whether these companies use their own speaker check out.

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/automoti...odels/audi.jsp
Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Junky
I use to own a Q7 with Bose and have an S4 with B&O, personally the Bose had more bass but the B&O system is better defined with more space around the instruments.
agreed. the bose has more punch but the b&o has clarity.

i am guessing you could try to replace the stock sub with an aftermarket one for more bass but i wouldnt bother, the b&o system is pretty damn good for a factory radio set up. (best in the s8, the sound is just incredible. rivals a quality home shelf system.)
Old 02-14-2012, 03:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't think it makes sense to associate cost to Audi with the retail price of the option. Pricing is usually done from a value-based perspective, e.g. priced to attract the desired number of customers to hit an overall revenue/profit target. Sometimes higher price and lower volume are better and sometimes it's the other way.

That a moving tweeter assembly is pretty impressive. It can't be quick and easy to mfg if it's going to last the life of the car without squeaking or getting stuck. Plus, it doesn't look like a commodity part such as a speaker frame or amplifier power IC.

I think an aftermarket system engineered to the same level of quality and durability would cost you a lot more than the option price. And again, other than over boosted output and overdone highs/lows, which give an artificial sense of power and clarity but are inaccurate, I think the best OEM systems are generally better than the mega-buck aftermarket stuff I've heard.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=C7fan;24261808]I don't think it makes sense to associate cost to Audi with the retail price of the option. Pricing is usually done from a value-based perspective, e.g. priced to attract the desired number of customers to hit an overall revenue/profit target. Sometimes higher price and lower volume are better and sometimes it's the other way.

That a moving tweeter assembly is pretty impressive. It can't be quick and easy to mfg if it's going to last the life of the car without squeaking or getting stuck. Plus, it doesn't look like a commodity part such as a speaker frame or amplifier power IC. QUOTE]

I agree! Audi also charge the extra premium because it's an A8 too, which targets a particular demographic.. Some options on the A8/A7/R8 are more expensive than ones on other models for the same option. That's Just the way it goes