Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Squeal

On my 2013 S5 (5,000 miles) over the last two days it has been very cold in NY (10 -15 degrees) Wthe car is cold I've heard a very loud brake squeal. Before I make an appointment...has anyone had this problem with Audis/S5's ? Seems to disappear after driving for 10- 15 minutes...but I don't have a long history to better quantify nor whether its from the front or rear.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Mine too (22k miles; didn't happen the previous winter (maybe not cold enough). Loud enough to turn heads; would prefer to do that with the car's looks.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jijr
Mine too (22k miles; didn't happen the previous winter (maybe not cold enough). Loud enough to turn heads; would prefer to do that with the car's looks.
With cold and moisture, you can get a sqeals from the brakes. The rotors can rust in a very short time from sitting unused. There is metallic content in the brake pads for longer wear and better grip. It's going to be an issue always.

If you hear it again, go use the brakes hard to clean off the rotors.

I had an A7 with a horrible groan in the brakes when creeping. I has the service advisor listen to it. He said it's normal despite how bad it is.

There is an alternate brake pad that can be installed that creates less dust and is quieter BUT the life is greatly reduced.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jijr
Just adding another data point. It has been around zero (F) around here. I have a 2012 S5 and the brake squeal on mild braking is pretty amazing. Sounds like a truck slowing down.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jon'sS5
Just adding another data point. It has been around zero (F) around here. I have a 2012 S5 and the brake squeal on mild braking is pretty amazing. Sounds like a truck slowing down.
And, I'll add another data point.

- 2012 S5
- 7K miles
- Temps around here (So. Indiana) have been between 25 to 30F.
- The squeal wasn't present when temps were above freezing.

The worst squeal seems to happen when I pull into my garage - must be the sudden temp change between outside and my garage (which stays around 60 degrees in winter).

Matt
Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is common problem ( many treads about it in S4 and Q5 forum ) mine do it to and its annoying... Pay this much for a car and it does that...
Old 01-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

My S5 and Q7 both get brake squeal. I accelerate to about 60, then brake hard to a stop (panic stop), repeat. This almost always stops the squeal. Worked in my C6 Corvettes too.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Well Known

This squealing is now well known. Audi even has a TSB on it. They even replaced my front pads and rotors (2010 S5 Cab) last year to stop the squeal. Guess what? It's back again this year but not quite so loud. It seems we just have to get used to it. The only solution seems to be -- don't drive it in the cold. Funny how all four A6's, S4 Cab, and an old allroad didn't have this problem. Nor any of the other American or Japanese cars I've had.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default mine too

Originally Posted by Jon'sS5
I just traded my A5 in for a 2012 S5 Prestige with 12,000 miles two days ago and get exactly the same thing. A5 never did that. Audi techs answer was that it's "normal" and then handed me a pamphlet on "Audi Brakes" that basically says that as you go from basic braking systems up through performance (S series) to high-performance (RS,etc.) the cars will generate more brake noise and brake dust. No solution except I suppose to search out a high end after market set of pads. And it is only on light braking even when going 2-3 MPH as you coast up to a stop light/sign. Annoying. Hope it's gone when the weather warms up.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tpt13
I just traded my A5 in for a 2012 S5 Prestige with 12,000 miles two days ago and get exactly the same thing. A5 never did that. Audi techs answer was that it's "normal" and then handed me a pamphlet on "Audi Brakes" that basically says that as you go from basic braking systems up through performance (S series) to high-performance (RS,etc.) the cars will generate more brake noise and brake dust. No solution except I suppose to search out a high end after market set of pads. And it is only on light braking even when going 2-3 MPH as you coast up to a stop light/sign. Annoying. Hope it's gone when the weather warms up.
Had mine out yesterday when it was about 35, and no noise. Had it out at 10 and noise. Here's an idea for Audi--have this icon pop up at under 32 rather than the cute snowflake icon:
(Just kidding). Actually, I am just happy that I am not the only one with the problem. Still love the car!!

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal