Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Buying a new a5 cab in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new a5 cab in the USA

Hi all, new member here I currently live in London but am about to move to California, the north bay, I wanted to get some feedback on my attempts so far to purchase a new a5 cab.

I am moving so I did my research and test drives here in the uk and found a dealer to discuss my purchase. I am also lucky enough to have got my hands on an Audi friends and family coupon getting me the car at invoice plus 300 bucks which makes negotiation easier.

I spoke to the dealer ahead of my test drive here and was told the dealership had 2 new 2012 a5s cabs ordered by not yet in production and I can spec one. I asked a few questions and then after a while told him the spec I wanted (White, premium plus with nav package and b&o) there was some delay discussing the rear camera issues.
The next day he says that the cars are already in production and it's too late.
I am now angry and there was no warning this was a risk.

I then say look this can't be that hard the premium plus and nav package is the most popular in the us and I'd be happy with quartz grey or silver or probably black and I could be flexible on some other things.

He has now come back with a 2011 ice silver without the b&o available now or a crazy loaded meteor gray 2012 available in early nov (presumably one of their orders as this was the time given to me originally).

I said the silver could work, the 2011 offset by it having a working rear camera at least and I think negliable changes in the us 2011 vs 2012. (please correct me if wrong)
He then says that to secure this car I need to wire the ENTIRE amount in advance. This seems insane to me. I never met the guy, never saw the car and to buy a new car you need what 1000 usd deposit.
This seems very odd and bizarre to me can anyone from the us tell me if this is normal, I can't believe it is.

At this point I have a few choices, 1) order a new car which will come in December
2) wait until I get there and try to find a car I like there with a shorter wait
3) if I can't find a car I can buy in the area order then which could delay the car into the new year (which may cause my voucher to expire not 100%)
I don't trust this guy at all now, failing to take my order is weird, lazy or dodgy. Asking for 50k ish up front for a car seems insane or worse.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 388 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Petalumapegleg

This seems very odd and bizarre to me can anyone from the us tell me if this is normal, I can't believe it is.

It is not normal.

Perhaps you can ask for a referral to a dealer/salesperson in the area that can help you out.

Welcome aboard!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi all, new member here I currently live in London but am about to move to California, the north bay, I wanted to get some feedback on my attempts so far to purchase a new a5 cab.

I am moving so I did my research and test drives here in the uk and found a dealer to discuss my purchase. I am also lucky enough to have got my hands on an Audi friends and family coupon getting me the car at invoice plus 300 bucks which makes negotiation easier.

I spoke to the dealer ahead of my test drive here and was told the dealership had 2 new 2012 a5s cabs ordered by not yet in production and I can spec one. I asked a few questions and then after a while told him the spec I wanted (White, premium plus with nav package and b&o) there was some delay discussing the rear camera issues.
The next day he says that the cars are already in production and it's too late.
I am now angry and there was no warning this was a risk.

I then say look this can't be that hard the premium plus and nav package is the most popular in the us and I'd be happy with quartz grey or silver or probably black and I could be flexible on some other things.

He has now come back with a 2011 ice silver without the b&o available now or a crazy loaded meteor gray 2012 available in early nov (presumably one of their orders as this was the time given to me originally).

I said the silver could work, the 2011 offset by it having a working rear camera at least and I think negliable changes in the us 2011 vs 2012. (please correct me if wrong)
He then says that to secure this car I need to wire the ENTIRE amount in advance. This seems insane to me. I never met the guy, never saw the car and to buy a new car you need what 1000 usd deposit.

At this point I have a few choices, 1) order a new car which will come in December
2) wait until I get there and try to find a car I like there with a shorter wait
3) if I can't find a car I can buy in the area order then which could delay the car into the new year (which may cause my voucher to expire not 100%)
I don't trust this guy at all now, failing to take my order is weird, lazy or dodgy. Asking for 50k ish up front for a car seems insane or worse.

What do you guys think?
Is this Sonnen in San Rafael? They kindof suck (especially sales). Check Yelp reviews and I am not alone. I am finding Stephen in sales to be unpleasant. I am in the Bay Area currently negotiating sales with them and Royal Motors (in SF). I may not end up purchasing through Royal (b/c of their availability), but I had a good experience with Mike (their internet sales manager). I have a friend who feels that their overall sales manager, Chris, gives good deals although he gives me the old used car-salesperson vibe.

The wire request is way off. Tell them to **** off. There are many Audi dealers in SF. Why don't you take european delivery and have it shipped over? You may actually get a better deal than invoice and it will not count against the dealer allocation.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good guess and yeah I did see the yelp reviews but then they were pretty crap for most of the dealers and I thought as I had no price negotiation to do, plus the sales guy gets full sales credit according to my coupon I thought closest just made more sense.

I did tell him to **** off and he claims it's standard but whatever I have no interest in doing that.

Cars in uk are crazy more expensive, to get a similarly equipped car in uk it would be similar price in pounds to dollar ie 1.6x more and the wrong side steering (although you get the s5 s-tronic dual clutch on the a5 quattro cab here which would be nice)
Europe I don't know how to do but I think still more than us before shipping oh and warranty is much worse.
Don't forget uk sales tax is 20% too.
Us is by far the best place to buy a new car, second hand cars cheaper here (eg my 3 series BMW is worth 4k here tops (2003 65k miles) vs more like 10 there

I think I am going to wait to get there and see. Worst case I'll order new and wait.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

NEVER..............EVER pay full amount in advance to ANYONE..........EVER !!!

I would wait till you arrive in Calif., take your time, visit MORE than one dealer.

You'll be glad you did. Before you know it you'll be driving that S5 Cab., one of the greatest cars in the world.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:23 PM
ksn
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by orwell
Is this Sonnen in San Rafael? They kindof suck (especially sales). Check Yelp reviews and I am not alone. I am finding Stephen in sales to be unpleasant.
Haha, Stephen spammed my inbox for a full 2 months before giving up.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good guess and yeah I did see the yelp reviews but then they were pretty crap for most of the dealers and I thought as I had no price negotiation to do, plus the sales guy gets full sales credit according to my coupon I thought closest just made more sense.

I did tell him to **** off and he claims it's standard but whatever I have no interest in doing that.

Cars in uk are crazy more expensive, to get a similarly equipped car in uk it would be similar price in pounds to dollar ie 1.6x more and the wrong side steering (although you get the s5 s-tronic dual clutch on the a5 quattro cab here which would be nice)
Europe I don't know how to do but I think still more than us before shipping oh and warranty is much worse.
Don't forget uk sales tax is 20% too.
Us is by far the best place to buy a new car, second hand cars cheaper here (eg my 3 series BMW is worth 4k here tops (2003 65k miles) vs more like 10 there

I think I am going to wait to get there and see. Worst case I'll order new and wait.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I am aware of the cost of buying the car in Europe. I am suggesting a (possible) alternative which is to buy the car through a Bay Area dealer (there are many as another person suggested), but then ask them for a European Delivery. The car is ready for pick up in Germany in ~90days, then ~60 days later you have it in N.CA. This may not be possible for some reasons that come immediately to mind, but it is quick enough to check out and addresses much of your crappy dealer problem.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by orwell
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I am aware of the cost of buying the car in Europe. I am suggesting a (possible) alternative which is to buy the car through a Bay Area dealer (there are many as another person suggested), but then ask them for a European Delivery. The car is ready for pick up in Germany in ~90days, then ~60 days later you have it in N.CA. This may not be possible for some reasons that come immediately to mind, but it is quick enough to check out and addresses much of your crappy dealer problem.
http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/e...container=page

The only issue with European delivery is that you need to pay it in full and it takes 3-4 months. You possibly can speak to a few dealers in the US and get one who has a car already in production that is like you want and have them allocate it to you.. then you could it get sooner and still pay the European delivery price. (Although considering you have to pay for it in full before you pick it up and it takes 8-10 weeks to ship over you really do not save much this way.)

And as far as buying a car from a dealer - a 1k deposit is usually enough and $2,500 is way more then enough to show you are serious.

Also I would try and have them charge the deposit if possible.. if you have a friend in US who can charge it for you as charging to an intl card can be harder (but still doable).