Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Buying a used S5 out of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get CPO too, or extended warranty. I have an 08', and carbon build-up is common, but not deadly, and not "that" expensive to fix.

The main one you should be worried about is the clutch / throwout bearing / master cylinder / slave cylinder issue, which will be very expensive to fix. I've had mine done twice! Luckily warranty covered both. I still need to work on the vibration issue with the control arms, but I'll bring that up at my upcoming major service.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As long as you're buying from a dealer, you can purchase a GE extended warranty, they are pretty extensive. Not the same as a new car warranty, or the CPO warranty, but beggers cannot be choosers. Unless you're buying it from Carls Cars Flybynight Special, you're sure to have the option to purchase a warranty like that.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i own a a6 C6 the 4.2 one, im telling you , you better get a CPO or a very good warranty, i have a warranty, so far over 10K worth of $$$$ ....
just my $.02
Old 03-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

you know what's odd about reading this thread, is that there's a ton of threads (i've read them allllll) about extended warranties, so why is it such a mixed bag of responses. Everyone in this thread seems pretty dead set you need a warranty when you own an audi.

I'm under Audi Care for another 2 years, but still curious for then...
Old 03-19-2011, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by shadymg
you know what's odd about reading this thread, is that there's a ton of threads (i've read them allllll) about extended warranties, so why is it such a mixed bag of responses. Everyone in this thread seems pretty dead set you need a warranty when you own an audi.

I'm under Audi Care for another 2 years, but still curious for then...
There are a lot more uncertainties associated with buying a used car, especially if it is a private sale. In some cases, there exist at least one undisclosed reason by the seller. As oppose to a new car, it will be covered by factory warranty and the Lemon Law at the time of the purchase.

And for the record, I did purchase an extended warranty as I intend to keep the car beyond it's factory coverage, plus I was able to get a really good deal on the Audi Pure program.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is kind of how i expected the thread to be when i opened it, but the price difference can be extensive sometimes. If one were to buy a used s5 with 26k mileage from a private party, would it be possible to get it certified after the purchase?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Without a warranty, most German cars are not good bets to hold onto. This has been the case for quite some time.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by kern417
This is kind of how i expected the thread to be when i opened it, but the price difference can be extensive sometimes. If one were to buy a used s5 with 26k mileage from a private party, would it be possible to get it certified after the purchase?
I have heard fairy stories about back office deals where the dealership buys your car and then you buy it back certified but nobody is naming names, so who knows if they are true...

I would say no
Old 03-27-2011, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Agreed. Get a CPO. Otherwise, there are some good companies out there that provide the same warranty service and probably cheaper than from Audi. I did this with my 911 and I'm very glad I did. Also did it on my cvt a4 cab, and when the tranny went out at 55k miles and the dealer quoted $12k to fix, I was glad I was covered!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

..at the very least, have a pre-sale inspection done by a shop that specializes in Audi's. A couple hundred bucks could save you thousands plus a few headaches down the road....if it were me I'd have the inspection done AND buy the warranty. If the seller resists this idea--run, don't walk....

Quick Reply: Buying a used S5 out of warranty