Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Bye guys. I bought a BMW 645ci today. Audi blew it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That makes a lot of sense. Give me order and wait over immediate but simplified any day
Old 03-09-2008, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I do like the way BMWs handle, BUT...

I like the way Audis handle, too. They're certainly different, and I can see the argument that BMW's feel a bit tighter, but Audis certainly hold the road equally well or better--particularly if the road surface is damp or uneven, nevermind if it's snowing. BMW's xi drive system doesn't hold a candle.

And if you get beyond dry-pavement handling, I think Audis are really better in almost every other way. Engines are at least equal (though I wish they hadn't killed the 2.7t engine). And on build quality, ride, interior design, exterior design--I'd say Audi gets the nod. Just prettier cars--especially on the inside.

As a side note, I like not having the cultural baggage that comes with a BMW...
Old 03-09-2008, 05:46 PM
BBT
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah I feel the same, the BMW's have nice handling and gearboxes,

and I agree that Audi makes their cars slightly "different" on purpose -- and there are people that will have a preference for one or the other. I just don't like the way people think Audi is "incapable" of making a car with a great combination of dynamics. I've driven the RS4 and it is very impressive, no slouch whatsoever. And it's practical for everyday driving as well. Anyway there is something out there for everyone!!!

My S5 is supposed to be here tomorrow... if so, going to be a fun day.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Foolish pride......

Audi's are great cars and they do some things better than anyone else, build quality, fit and finish, interior design, four-wheel-drive. However, Audi's are not better than other cars in every way. And I'm not saying you're saying that, but it's pathetic when car enthusiasts, either Audi or BMW, or whatever, can't admit some of their favorite brands known shortcomings or imperfections. I believe things that I read, especially when I read about BMW's having better steering feel, because I've driven many of both cars, and only a fool would disagree with the auto journalists on this one. Go over to the B6,B7,C5,C6 forums and see if people don't think the servotronic is too light and vague. Go drive an S4 and M3 back to back and its obvious. Look at reviews of the 335 vs S5, and what other members who test drove both thought. I'm one of them, and I thought the S5 was better, but I'm not afraid to admit it has faults.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So did BMW with the ugly 6 series. To each his own.

Funny, I actually did a comparison of the 645 vs the S5 previously.

The S5, in terms of straight line performance, should do better than the 645.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/11457.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/11457.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 03-09-2008, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Congratulations for not getting the S5, I think they blew it too

"intimate level of road feel that you get in a BMW" Not any more! This is the same as you would say that a Land Rover Discovery is a off-roading beast. BS. "Ultimate driver involvement" is something BMW had in 90's not after 2000. "Ultimate road feel and driver involvement" is nothing more then a marketing trick now. Drive a new 5-series, not much different from any other german car (MB, Audi, VW, Porsche, Opel). Marketing trick for kids, but not more. Sorry.

PS-if u steel belive those foolish BMW statements about their cars, I suggest reading less "Road and Track" or "Car and Driver" and watch less TV commercials.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:40 PM

Default Re: audi is far behind ...

Audi is not bad, AOA is bad. Here in Russia a guy from the dealership calls me every week and gives me updates. No need to go on internet. Human interaction is better.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:33 PM
BBT
AudiWorld Senior Member

lol!
Old 03-10-2008, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great! That means someone else will get your S5 earlier!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:16 AM
RS7

Default Sounds like he's regurgitating an out of date magazine.

"I believe things that I read, especially when I read about BMW's."

Thats a classic. I think its one of the stupidest things to believe what you read relating anything. Do you read the reviews to movies, food, music etc and then base your opinion solely on someone elses?

Same applies to a car, to a greater extent even. So many of the car magazines around are biased towards their favorite cars. I believe anyone who believes what they are told outright is....... no comment.

FYI all the reviews that I have seen relating the S5 have said its an absolutely excellent car. I still base judgement on what I think though, I have experienced the car and concur with them however.

Quick Reply: Bye guys. I bought a BMW 645ci today. Audi blew it.