Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Carbon Build-up fix covered under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2009 3.2 has run great since mile one. I now have 75,000 miles on it with none of the issues of carbon buildup problems.

Also getting ready to order a 2014 S5
Old 09-16-2013, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by f1isbest
My 2009 3.2 has run great since mile one. I now have 75,000 miles on it with none of the issues of carbon buildup problems.

Also getting ready to order a 2014 S5

I have read and heard that part of the issue with the DI engines lies in how you drive them. The best preventative maintenance is to put the throttle to the firewall and give it a Friday Night Tune Up. Good excuse to find a road and go, go, go...
Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleA4
I have read and heard that part of the issue with the DI engines lies in how you drive them. The best preventative maintenance is to put the throttle to the firewall and give it a Friday Night Tune Up. Good excuse to find a road and go, go, go...
It seems to be more related to engine temperature not being attained over longer periods rather than revs and due to many short trips. Apparently, trips mixed with longer drives is recommended, giving the engine plenty of time to burn off the potential residues. This info came from an AOA executive I've known for several years as we discussed the 3.0T and 3.2 TFSI engine secondary air ports warranty extension.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It seems to be more related to engine temperature not being attained over longer periods rather than revs and due to many short trips. Apparently, trips mixed with longer drives is recommended, giving the engine plenty of time to burn off the potential residues. This info came from an AOA executive I've known for several years as we discussed the 3.0T and 3.2 TFSI engine secondary air ports warranty extension.
Agreed. I put the 3.2 V6 in my Q5 into the shop after 24 months because my commute is all city and only 10 KM long. In the depths of winter my engine didn't read full temp until I (basically) reached the office.

With that said, to help my 3.0 V6T in my S5, I take the highway home, run the revs, and basically try to drive it like I stole it for 1/2 of my daily commute. (rinse+repeat on weekends and trips)
Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bilbo47
Agreed. I put the 3.2 V6 in my Q5 into the shop after 24 months because my commute is all city and only 10 KM long. In the depths of winter my engine didn't read full temp until I (basically) reached the office.

With that said, to help my 3.0 V6T in my S5, I take the highway home, run the revs, and basically try to drive it like I stole it for 1/2 of my daily commute. (rinse+repeat on weekends and trips)
10 km is still a short trip despite the greater highway speed and revs. Longer running time is better than just speed or revs - it's not just the temp gauge saying it's up to operating temp but how long it stays there. Best taking some nice long drives on the weekends (which is more fun anyway).
Old 09-18-2013, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DoubleA4
Also known as an "Italian tune up".
Old 09-19-2013, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
10 km is still a short trip despite the greater highway speed and revs. Longer running time is better than just speed or revs - it's not just the temp gauge saying it's up to operating temp but how long it stays there. Best taking some nice long drives on the weekends (which is more fun anyway).
Oh yeah, I do. :P
Old 09-24-2013, 06:15 PM
DHS
AudiWorld Member

OP here. Just got my baby back after having her heart cleaned of carbon deposits. I asked the tech to take some snaps which I will post. He said that the carbon was as thick as appx 3/32".
I definitely feel the difference, mostly in the smoothness of the engine note. Very smooth idle and no more burping and roughness when I let up on the accelerator after a hard acceleration. Pulls like a train - but then it always has. It just feels like it is not working as hard, with greater efficiency and quieter at running speed.
Since the job took more than one day, I got a brand new A6 which I drove about 275 miles. Very capable car. But it has no soul.
D
Old 09-26-2019, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have this problem with my 2014 S5 in Canada. Audi Canada is denying warranty coverage. Does anyone have any information or ideas?
Thanks,
G
Old 09-27-2019, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

The spray cleaner in a can really works. It's basically your regular fuel injector cleaner but since fuel doesn't go over the valve during normal operation, we have to manually inject the fuel cleaner so it has a chance to get to the carbon buildup on the valves.

I have 76K on my 2.0 TFSI and used the CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner this past weekend. Used only about half a can. Greatly improved idle smoothness and engine reponse.

Some interesting points I came across while researching this:

1. Italian tune up INCREASES carbon deposits on GDI engines: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-up-explained/
2. Spray intake cleaners work, but may need more than one application to removal ALL deposits: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...khBGKNSvfqLms7

If you look at this guys first video on intake cleaners and the latest one, you can see that the valves do get cleaned with the spray cleaner, but they build back up almost just as fast. It may be the engine, but I don't think VW/Audi engines are any better, especially given their poor reputation on carbon buildup.

Last edited by findalex; 09-27-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Carbon Build-up fix covered under warranty