Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Clean / Wash 2012 A5

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean / Wash 2012 A5

Hi All,

I will be putting up a pic of my new Audi.... I was wondering though what is used to clean the inside of the car and.... is touchless car wash the way to go for washing the car ?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mmindz83
Hi All,

I will be putting up a pic of my new Audi.... I was wondering though what is used to clean the inside of the car and.... is touchless car wash the way to go for washing the car ?
IMHO, "touchless" is useless. It doesn't get the road grime on the lower fenders. Buy some microfiber rags and mitts, good car soap and have fun. Don't trust the car washing places that have a small labor force of people drying cars. They more than likely use terry cloth towels or rags. Bad for paint.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

for the interior, a damp rag is good if there is no visible grime. try not to rub on the dust on the MMI screen or the bezel around the screen. you don't want to scratch them. If the leather is dirty, use a leather cleaner or damp rag. I have a Dash Duster which is a small version of the car duster. It's good for dusting a clean but dusty dash or inner door panels. A once over with a damp terry towel can clean up something stuck on or a water spot. I've noticed that some vinyl cleaners contain a little silicone in them which gives a clean,dark appearance but looks streaky if you don't apply it evenly. You also don't want that stuff on your metal or wood (smooth and shiny) trim.

touchless? I never understood how that can work unless it uses some insane amount of pressure. Car wash soap and a soft wash mitt. NO dish soap. You want to remove filmy dirt which all the pressure in the world may not clean. It should be rubbed off with the soapy mitt. Rinse it very well if you drop it. Take your hand and rub it over the mitt to see if there is something gritty you can feel.

You also want to take the time to clean the accumulation of brake dust off the rims which a car wash of any kind won't do effectively. Get a soft brush to get in between the spokes or use a different washing sponge or mitt just for the wheels. Wheel cleaners are overkill on a newer car. The brake dust if kept after won't require harsh chemicals. The car wash soap is fine.

Last edited by JGA5Cab; 10-07-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Go over to Audizine.com and read some of the posts in this forum:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumd...ailer-s-Domain

It's been an excellent resource for me.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
for the interior, a damp rag is good if there is no visible grime. try not to rub on the dust on the MMI screen or the bezel around the screen. you don't want to scratch them. If the leather is dirty, use a leather cleaner or damp rag. I have a Dash Duster which is a small version of the car duster. It's good for dusting a clean but dusty dash or inner door panels. A once over with a damp terry towel can clean up something stuck on or a water spot. I've noticed that some vinyl cleaners contain a little silicone in them which gives a clean,dark appearance but looks streaky if you don't apply it evenly. You also don't want that stuff on your metal or wood (smooth and shiny) trim.

touchless? I never understood how that can work unless it uses some insane amount of pressure. Car wash soap and a soft wash mitt. NO dish soap. You want to remove filmy dirt which all the pressure in the world may not clean. It should be rubbed off with the soapy mitt. Rinse it very well if you drop it. Take your hand and rub it over the mitt to see if there is something gritty you can feel.

You also want to take the time to clean the accumulation of brake dust off the rims which a car wash of any kind won't do effectively. Get a soft brush to get in between the spokes or use a different washing sponge or mitt just for the wheels. Wheel cleaners are overkill on a newer car. The brake dust if kept after won't require harsh chemicals. The car wash soap is fine.
Touchfree car washes never get the car fully clean. But they do rely on pressure and chemicals to remove dirt.

I use the touchless occassionally but the best wash hand wash with proper equipment (i.e. 2 bucket/grit guard/clean wash mitt... MF towels etc).
Old 10-12-2011, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 1Z einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Cleaner

Originally Posted by mmindz83
Hi All,

I use this stuff 1Z einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Cleaner.
I like this because it leaves the factory look and doesn't add shine to anything. Plus this stuff is good across the entire dashboard.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/1Z-ei...mium_p_70.html

I haven't cleaned the seats yet, so can't comment on that yet...

Detailers Domain as the other audiworlder referenced is a good site for info and products via that linky
Old 10-12-2011, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sparkster
I use this stuff 1Z einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Cleaner.
I like this because it leaves the factory look and doesn't add shine to anything. Plus this stuff is good across the entire dashboard.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/1Z-ei...mium_p_70.html

I haven't cleaned the seats yet, so can't comment on that yet...

Detailers Domain as the other audiworlder referenced is a good site for info and products via that linky
+1 on the 1Z einszett Cockpit Premium. One of my favorite products.

For the leather, I've used Lexol and Leathermaster (from detailers domain) and both are excellent.