Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Color Question AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color Question AGAIN!

I have already placed my order for a Phantom Black / Magma Red S5, but I am having second thoughts about my color choice. My local dealer recently replaced the R8 in its "showcase window" with a Ibis White S5, and it just look amazing.

Although the sole dealership in my area had both a black S5 and a white S5 at launch, the black one was already gone by the time I made my decision in Dec. The Ibis White S5 didn't look as good inside the show room back then as I now see it from outside while driving pass the dealership. I was torn between black and white back in December, and I chose the safe choice-black- as my friends/sales all told me to choose black.

-Negative Comments on White:
Sales: The white plastic bumper will fade and become yellowish in 2 years, and S5 brush aluminum side mirrors doesn't show as much. White is just as bad as black in terms of showing the lines of the car.
Friend 1: No!
Friend 2: White is for Jap Cars.
Girl Friend: Makes the car look like a rental.

I think the comment with most impact on me was the mirror issue, but I do think you can see the lines of the car much better in white? Anyone has issue with white bumpers fading? Any other comments here to help me decide? I know it's a really personal choice, but I really don't know what the black S5 looks like from the pictures online...
Old 02-25-2008, 03:03 AM

Default Black

Well, I would say it's not the color issue-) You just want the car faster, and you want it so much that you don't care what color it would be. I am going through the same thing now-)Just stick with your first choice, it's always the best choice. I personally like black, and I think your g/f is right-)
Old 02-25-2008, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Color Question AGAIN!

i have ibis..... blows away all other colors...

black is the m ost popular so it will be common

as for what people think... i cant get in or out of my car with out having to answer questions
or get comments... same as a red light

black lacks originality or individuality...

imho
Old 02-25-2008, 03:42 AM

Not a fan of white but I agree. It all ends up at who you are and what you do.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Ibis and traded to Phantom Black. The white looked big and heavy....
Old 02-25-2008, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Depends on what your going to do with it...

I have had a few white cars and a few black cars (own a black Suburban today) and depending on the car white can look really good. One of my white cars was a loaded out 1996 328is with black interior and dark tinted windows. Looked really sharp. It never looked as dirty as black would.

White can be a head turner. Are you going to keep the car forever, buy or lease? Who cares down the road which color if you lease or keep it forever as resale is a non-issue.

I like black because it looks more sleek to me. Looks really good on this car. I passed on both a phantom black and a brilliant black though. My issue was keeping it clean. I just don't have that kind of spare time anymore. If you can detail it and keep it clean black is the way to go IMO.

If not and you like white I would get that. Its good to be different. I am amazed on this board how many black S5s and A5s there are. Red has also been popular which actually surprises me. White is also somewhat popular so I don't think it will have a resale problem personally.

BTW -- this will never look like a rental car and I doubt the white plastic will turn yellow in 2 years. If white has a tan intetrior it looks like a woman's car, but with black its ok.

Thats my 2 cents.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:32 AM
BBT
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default White is the new silver, now the most popular color.

I think it was Dupont that recently published stats on all the paint colors in North America.

But being the most popular isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's more about what "grabs" you when you look at it. Personally I would never get a white car. Most of the people I notice driving a big white car are asians, ladies and older folks. Yeah I know white is trendy now but that won't last long.

Black is much more work to keep clean but the car is totally sexy and has more presence on the road.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: White is the new silver, now the most popular color.

Well BBT,

I am Asian living in Asia....
Old 02-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Depends on what your going to do with it...

Thanks...very useful opinion.

I am buying it as we don't have lease in this country. I also have someone cleaning it daily so black shouldn't be a problem.

My biggest concern is that the lines of the car really doesn't show that well in black.

If I am getting white exterior...i will most likely get a black interior.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Color Question AGAIN!

I went with Quartz Grey Metallic, the Ice Silver was just to bright and doesn't show the lines. Can't do black, white, or the meteor grey/green. I saw a Quartz Grey A4 and the darker "silver" really showed the lines more with a shadowy effect on the car's contours. I have not seen anyone mention this color for an S5 on any of the forums so hopefully I will be UNIQUE! (whenever the frickin car gets a slot, built and shipped!)

Quick Reply: Color Question AGAIN!