Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Connecting my Android phone for playing music

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting my Android phone for playing music

Is the only location to connect a device inside the glove box? Is it possible to locate the device closer to the driver seat? I know there are iPod controls on the stereo, though I like to stream music from Pandora, Slacker, etc. on my Android phone, and I'm guessing there is no way to access the controls from the stereo, so I would have to do it directly on the phone and if it is located in the glovebox....

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stanw
Is the only location to connect a device inside the glove box? Is it possible to locate the device closer to the driver seat? I know there are iPod controls on the stereo, though I like to stream music from Pandora, Slacker, etc. on my Android phone, and I'm guessing there is no way to access the controls from the stereo, so I would have to do it directly on the phone and if it is located in the glovebox....

Thanks.
I purchased the AMI Stereo/MP3 adapter cable (Audi part number: 4F0-051-510-C) to replace the iPod cable so I could locate my iPod touch closer to the center console. I use Slacker as my primary music source -- which the iPod AMI controls can not interface with (since it's a separate app) even though I'm using an iPod.

At any rate, I then bought a 1/8" extension cable and ran it to where the aux jack would normally have been installed in the center console.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by td80
I purchased the AMI Stereo/MP3 adapter cable (Audi part number: 4F0-051-510-C) to replace the iPod cable so I could locate my iPod touch closer to the center console. I use Slacker as my primary music source -- which the iPod AMI controls can not interface with (since it's a separate app) even though I'm using an iPod.

At any rate, I then bought a 1/8" extension cable and ran it to where the aux jack would normally have been installed in the center console.

1. How does having AMI Stereo Mp3 adapter cable that you bought allow you to locate your iPod Touch closer to the center console? Do you have the cable running from your glove department and over to the console, or did you hide the cable somehow?

2. How do you stream Slacker on an iPod Touch?

3. Why do you also need the 1/8" extension cable in addition to the AMI Stereo Mp3 adapter cable?

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stanw
1. How does having AMI Stereo Mp3 adapter cable that you bought allow you to locate your iPod Touch closer to the center console? Do you have the cable running from your glove department and over to the console, or did you hide the cable somehow?

2. How do you stream Slacker on an iPod Touch?

3. Why do you also need the 1/8" extension cable in addition to the AMI Stereo Mp3 adapter cable?

Thanks!!!!
Well you need the AMI stereo MP3 cable to be able to plug the iPod in via the headphone jack in order to stream slacker. The problem is, the cable is 3" long... and I need to be able to see the screen etc to change songs, stations etc like you mentioned wanting to be able to do with the droid. So the extension cable I bought runs from the glove box under the plastic of the center console (very easy to do) and up into the console storage space under the arm rest where it's plugged into the iTouch power adapter/aux interface.

As for Slacker, with the release of the Slacker 2.0 application for iPod (as well as Android btw) you can cache up to 25 stations on your portable device. Slacker downloads the entire playlists for those 25 stations of your choosing to the device and you can then play them without being connected to a network... this was a huge deal for me as I can now download all my favorite slacker stations (even custom built stations) to a portable device and use that as my permanent music source in the car. I refresh the stations once a week to pick up any new content that is added to each station based on my favorites and bans.

The single best feature over satellite radio is the quality. Even the compressed Slacker audio is a tremendous leap ahead of Sirius/XM stream quality -- which is what I have been very angry with for a long time.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by td80
Well you need the AMI stereo MP3 cable to be able to plug the iPod in via the headphone jack in order to stream slacker. The problem is, the cable is 3" long... and I need to be able to see the screen etc to change songs, stations etc like you mentioned wanting to be able to do with the droid. So the extension cable I bought runs from the glove box under the plastic of the center console (very easy to do) and up into the console storage space under the arm rest where it's plugged into the iTouch power adapter/aux interface.

As for Slacker, with the release of the Slacker 2.0 application for iPod (as well as Android btw) you can cache up to 25 stations on your portable device. Slacker downloads the entire playlists for those 25 stations of your choosing to the device and you can then play them without being connected to a network... this was a huge deal for me as I can now download all my favorite slacker stations (even custom built stations) to a portable device and use that as my permanent music source in the car. I refresh the stations once a week to pick up any new content that is added to each station based on my favorites and bans.

The single best feature over satellite radio is the quality. Even the compressed Slacker audio is a tremendous leap ahead of Sirius/XM stream quality -- which is what I have been very angry with for a long time.
1. How did you run the cable into the console storage space under the arm rest?
2. Thanks for the tip on Slacker! Did not know about that.

Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

In the compartment under the armrest, there's a little plastic plug on the back side that pops out if you pry it in the right direction. from there i fished my extension cable down and pulled my slack out the bottom of the plastic next to the seat rails there. I ran the cable up the center console under that plastic all the way up behind the glove compartment. I drilled a very small hole in the back of the glove compartment to fish the wire in through, and then plugged it into the stereo AMI connector. It was actually very easy to fish the cable down and run it up to the compartment compared to some of my other vehicles that I've had to run wires in.