Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Considering joining the Audi family - A5? S5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering joining the Audi family - A5? S5?

First and foremost, forums look great. I put this same post up on other Audi forums; not sure if there is loyalty to one site versus another so I don't want to overstep any boundaries right off the bat so my apologies in advance if I'm doing so - I'm honestly looking for good perspective and opinions and hopefully some sounds advice.

I'll keep it short and sweet for the time-being: came from BMW, currently in an IS-250. I'm thinking about purchasing my first Audi (2010, maybe an '09, used). I find myself torn between a few options.

1) The A5 - practical with the MPG and the looks are KILLER. My only hangup is the engine: will that 2.0T (or I do believe in 2009, there was the 6?) be enough to truly enjoy?
2) The S5 - again, looks alone say it all. The biggest issue here is that this car, or rather whatever car I decide to go with, will be a daily driver. That V8 and the MPG associated with it also speaks for itself. Is it worth it? My commute is about 5-10 miles a day, bu this will be the car that I'm in at all times (grocery shopping, weekends, etc.) Is this even realistic?
3) The S4 - I know I'm in the A5/S5 subforum here so it's probably not the right spot and opinions will probably be biased. The S4 has what I'm looking for under the hood but that's about it. Still looks great, but nothing will really compare to the look of the A/S5 to me. MPG's being reported are "iffy"; I've seen some people say they get fine fuel economy and others who claim it's just "as bad or worse" than the S5.

I guess what I'm looking for is a daily driver, and something that's really going to stand out. The S5 is definitely at the top of my list but I don't know if I can justify having a V8. This will be my first V8 if I choose those route, is it really that bad, what am I getting myself into? I suppose other than that, the Quattro is a huge plus for the winters, another reason why I find myself considering Audi.

I'd be happy to fill in many other details if need be, but I figured I'd kinda try and keep it as straightforward as possible. Looking forward to the discussion.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by prolific
First and foremost, forums look great. I put this same post up on other Audi forums; not sure if there is loyalty to one site versus another so I don't want to overstep any boundaries right off the bat so my apologies in advance if I'm doing so - I'm honestly looking for good perspective and opinions and hopefully some sounds advice.

I'll keep it short and sweet for the time-being: came from BMW, currently in an IS-250. I'm thinking about purchasing my first Audi (2010, maybe an '09, used). I find myself torn between a few options.

1) The A5 - practical with the MPG and the looks are KILLER. My only hangup is the engine: will that 2.0T (or I do believe in 2009, there was the 6?) be enough to truly enjoy?
2) The S5 - again, looks alone say it all. The biggest issue here is that this car, or rather whatever car I decide to go with, will be a daily driver. That V8 and the MPG associated with it also speaks for itself. Is it worth it? My commute is about 5-10 miles a day, bu this will be the car that I'm in at all times (grocery shopping, weekends, etc.) Is this even realistic?
3) The S4 - I know I'm in the A5/S5 subforum here so it's probably not the right spot and opinions will probably be biased. The S4 has what I'm looking for under the hood but that's about it. Still looks great, but nothing will really compare to the look of the A/S5 to me. MPG's being reported are "iffy"; I've seen some people say they get fine fuel economy and others who claim it's just "as bad or worse" than the S5.

I guess what I'm looking for is a daily driver, and something that's really going to stand out. The S5 is definitely at the top of my list but I don't know if I can justify having a V8. This will be my first V8 if I choose those route, is it really that bad, what am I getting myself into? I suppose other than that, the Quattro is a huge plus for the winters, another reason why I find myself considering Audi.

I'd be happy to fill in many other details if need be, but I figured I'd kinda try and keep it as straightforward as possible. Looking forward to the discussion.

Thanks!
Welcome, and good on you for considering all this with a level head. Lot of S and RS folks in this forum, but I'll speak for the A5 folk (wife had an A4 as well, btw). I traded my TT on my '13 A5, and I'm not at all displeased with the fun quotient of the 2.0. It makes a ton of torque at 1500rpm, and is a spirited drive. I tested the S5 when I bought this, and it was FUN, but I personally couldn't justify it. Please drive both before you decide.

You might want to visit the engine forums, too. Each motor has its quirks - but these are driver's cars first and foremost - and they are FUN regardless of the motor. In my book, A4 vs A5 all comes down to looks and those 2 extra doors. I don't NEED the doors, and the A5 is, as you say, KILLER in the looks dept.

Bottom line, I love my A5, and you'll find some great folks here who love their S5s. That choice has to be made from the cockpit IMHO, with your foot in it... Either way, welcome and we know you're making a great choice!

John M, Valencia, CA
'13 A5 Brilliant Black PP Cpe: Sport Pkg, Nav, Kool Key, B&O, Polished Exhaust Tips - and FUN!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The new 2013 S5 no longer comes with a V8. Its now a supercharged V6.. Same 0-60 times as the V8 and a few updated features. The A5 was just named the worst of Audi's line by Consumer Reports for 2012 while the 3.0 A6 was named the best. http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...-by-brand.html

I just bought a new S5 and am loving it.

You will not be disappointed..
Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hy Octane
The new 2013 S5 no longer comes with a V8. Its now a supercharged V6.. Same 0-60 times as the V8 and a few updated features. The A5 was just named the worst of Audi's line by Consumer Reports for 2012 while the 3.0 A6 was named the best. http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...-by-brand.html

I just bought a new S5 and am loving it.

You will not be disappointed..
2013 is definitely ideal, with that V6, perfection. Only problem is that it's a little out of my pricerange/what I'm willing to drop on a vehicle at this point in time. With that being said, I'm looking at '09/'10-something.

Thank you for linking that Consumer Report, though, interesting stuff. I'm wondering where the '09/'10 models (A5, that is), stand in comparison? Didn't realize that the 2013 was thought of so poorly.

Thanks again for the replies thus far tho!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think there's any one way to answer this. You really have to drive them both. But I will say, with only a 5-10 mile commute, does the gas mileage really matter all that much?

I have an S5 Cab, so it's not a direct comparison (not only is it a convertible, but it has the V6T vs. the V8 you'd be looking at). But I will say, I'm VERY happy I went with the S5 instead of the A5, and every time I have a 2.0T loaner, it feels like a big step down. On the flip side, I dislike the sport suspension on the S5. I think it's just stiff enough to be annoying (paradoxically, I find cars with either stiffer or less stiff suspensions less annoying; the middle ground drives me nuts).
Old 03-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just turned in my 2010 S5 for a 2013 A5 and I love it. I really don't think the S5 is worth the extra cost.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V8, V6t, I4t

Well, the way I see this it is boiling down to what engine fits your needs/wants. Everyone will have an opinion but none will be "wrong"... I'll start by saying I went with the V8 and absolutely love it. Test drove the new S5 with the supercharged V6 and found it unemotional. It you want a smooth and stealthy ride with the aftermarket potential to be a screamer the V6t is your cup of tea. I would stay away from the 2.0 due to it not being a very refined piece. If price is a consideration (it always is) you may want to look at the certified used market. Some very good options there.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

While I don't own a S4, AS or S5, I have taken each one on extensive (24 hrs) test drives. The S4 vs. x5, IMO, simply comes down to whether you need four doors and the extra backseat room. The x5's do look nicer but could be priced a big higher.

With a commute 5-10 miles a day, will you have an opportunity to drive it further on weekends? Is the current commute mostly city driving? Depending on your answers, perhaps you'll never been able to use the performance of a S4/S5. However in the end, it comes down to which of the vehicles best fits your criteria. You may need to test drive all several times before coming to that conclusion.

I'm not sure what your budget is but a new A5 can be priced in the lower 40's. Yes that number can quickly climb with options. Something to consider, for MY14 Audi will be releasing a Competition Pkg for the A5 (see below link). IMO it is a nice improvement to the overall look.

http://fourtitude.com/news/Audi_News...-for-a5-coupe/
Old 03-03-2013, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NHman
With a commute 5-10 miles a day, will you have an opportunity to drive it further on weekends? Is the current commute mostly city driving? Depending on your answers, perhaps you'll never been able to use the performance of a S4/S5. However in the end, it comes down to which of the vehicles best fits your criteria. You may need to test drive all several times before coming to that conclusion.
My commute is very minimal. A week of driving for me consists of: the back roads to the office (about a 6-8 minute drive). I'll take the same drive back home for lunch on most days (or down the road to the deli or bank or whatever errands I have to run that afternoon). I'll drive literally 2 minutes to the gym and then home (~8-9 minutes). I guess what I'm getting at is the fact that I'm on the road pretty sparingly during the average work week - however, that's not including other miscellaneous trips that may pop up (grocery store, taking the girl out here and there, etc). Not sure the "lack" of driving is going to be even more of a hindrance (see: stop and go) or a benefit to me? I don't do a ton of highway driving (weekends are the exception but even then, it's nothing consistent) but like I said, not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

As far as budget, definitely looking in the used market; looking to spend around 35-40k, tops. The lower, the better obviously.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by prolific
My commute is very minimal. A week of driving for me consists of: the back roads to the office (about a 6-8 minute drive). I'll take the same drive back home for lunch on most days (or down the road to the deli or bank or whatever errands I have to run that afternoon). I'll drive literally 2 minutes to the gym and then home (~8-9 minutes). I guess what I'm getting at is the fact that I'm on the road pretty sparingly during the average work week - however, that's not including other miscellaneous trips that may pop up (grocery store, taking the girl out here and there, etc). Not sure the "lack" of driving is going to be even more of a hindrance (see: stop and go) or a benefit to me? I don't do a ton of highway driving (weekends are the exception but even then, it's nothing consistent) but like I said, not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

As far as budget, definitely looking in the used market; looking to spend around 35-40k, tops. The lower, the better obviously.
With such a small commute, I would be worried about carbon buildup on the current naturally aspirated FSI engines in the Audi lineup. In this case, the NA 4.2L V8 in the pre-2013 S5s.

I have a similar city / short commute, and I managed to get carbon buildup in a very short 2 years on a 3.2L V6 in my Q5. While I didn't have to pay for it to be fixed, it meant I was on track to have the problem happen again every 2 years out of warranty.

That experience had a huge impact with me deciding on a 2013 vs 2012 S5.

Quick Reply: Considering joining the Audi family - A5? S5?