Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Considering joining the Audi family - A5? S5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to test the S5, because you might buy an A5 and suddenly feel like you should have gotten a car with more power. Then, you start kicking yourself in the nut for making the worst decision. Test both cars - if the A5 has enough power for you, then you don't need the S5. If the S5 has the power you want, why settle for less if you can afford it ?

Get it certified to 100,000 miles so you have extended warranty, so you're still covered for the next 60,000 miles.

Originally Posted by prolific
Took a trip down to an Audi dealership about ~40 minutes or so away as they have a very, very large inventory. My main reason for taking the trip down was this S5 they had on the lot, or so I thought: a 2010, with ~28k miles, they were looking for $38.9 for it (could've gotten it for $36 or less I'd figure). Turns out it was sold that morning, wasn't meant to be I guess. They have another S5 on the lot, also a 2010 (Prestige) with ~40k miles for $43.1 or so (bit pricey). Don't know if I should make a move, it has about double the miles I'd ideally look for in a car and I don't know, just feels like I'm settling; hearts broken after I found out that first S5 was gone as of today though haha.

Got in an A5 today (again). Didn't want to test drive the S5 (yet) because I know once I do, the A5 is going to be completely out of the question.

Any thoughts on that 2nd 2010 though? Worth negotiating or is ~40k miles far too many?

Last edited by ayap; 03-09-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the A5, the car is great, don't get me wrong. I know what I have there and I like it; knowing what I have in the A5 after being behind the wheel and just seeing the V8 badging on the S5, I know what fun lies there as well without being behind the wheel I believe.

I'm not sure if it was on here or another forum but someone said that the worst thing you could do when debating between the two models, an A or an S is to drive the S5 and then drive the A5 - nothing will compare to that S.

40k miles is where I'm a bit iffy at the moment. Suppose I take the time and see whatelse comes across the lot for sale but I just don't know how long that wait is gonna be which is the "risk" I suppose in this type of potential investment.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wait a few weeks for another S5. Maybe there's one at 28,000 - 32,000 miles.

I guess you're an emotional buyer, so I understand about being scared to test the S5. You might take it home on the spot. LOL.

I was in the A5, the car is great, don't get me wrong. I know what I have there and I like it; knowing what I have in the A5 after being behind the wheel and just seeing the V8 badging on the S5, I know what fun lies there as well without being behind the wheel I believe.

I'm not sure if it was on here or another forum but someone said that the worst thing you could do when debating between the two models, an A or an S is to drive the S5 and then drive the A5 - nothing will compare to that S.

40k miles is where I'm a bit iffy at the moment. Suppose I take the time and see whatelse comes across the lot for sale but I just don't know how long that wait is gonna be which is the "risk" I suppose in this type of potential investment.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A 2009 S5 just became available; 20k miles, Premium Plus, listed at $39.5 currently (guessing I could get it as low as $36-something?)

A little over a year left on the warranty but the my buddy at the dealership did mention the ability to extend the warranty (unsure of the specifics at the moment).

Thoughts? Worth a look altho the car is "already four years old..."
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's low mileage, and below $40K. 4 years is nothing - Audi makes very sturdy cars. Test drive and buy it now, or regret it if someone else gets it first. Trust me, just test drive it and fulfill your destiny to own an S5.

A 2009 S5 just became available; 20k miles, Premium Plus, listed at $39.5 currently (guessing I could get it as low as $36-something?)

A little over a year left on the warranty but the my buddy at the dealership did mention the ability to extend the warranty (unsure of the specifics at the moment).

Thoughts? Worth a look altho the car is "already four years old..."
Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm strongly considering it man, for sure.

I've also heard a few people state that with the K04 turbo upgrade / tune, you can turn out just as much if not more hp as a S5...all with better fuel economy.

A lot to still mull over, ugh...
Old 03-13-2013, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

NO WAY the 4 cylinder turbo will ever come close to a V8. Don't believe that. It's already tweaked with forced induction. If you push it beyond what the Turbos are made for, Turbocharger will blow up, and you won't be covered with any warranties for sure.

And as i told you, my S5 has better fuel economy than the A4 I drove as a loaner. That's why the S5 does not have gas guzzler tax. I already posted a picture for you about my V8's fuel economy.

I'm strongly considering it man, for sure.

I've also heard a few people state that with the K04 turbo upgrade / tune, you can turn out just as much if not more hp as a S5...all with better fuel economy.

A lot to still mull over, ugh...

Last edited by ayap; 03-13-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ayap
NO WAY the 4 cylinder turbo will ever come close to a V8. Don't believe that. It's already tweaked with forced induction. If you push it beyond what the Turbos are made for, Turbocharger will blow up, and you won't be covered with any warranties for sure.

And as i told you, my S5 has better fuel economy than the A4 I drove as a loaner. That's why the S5 does not have gas guzzler tax. I already posted a picture for you about my V8's fuel economy.
This '09 S5 is something I'm seriously interested, going to have another talk with the dealer tomorrow and see what we can work out.

Your MPG, though, is highway miles. I have a relatively short commute (about 7-8 minutes to the office each day, and then maybe 2 minutes up the road to the gym is what I consistently drive - not including the trips to the grocery store, my boys place up the road, etc). I'll take a bit of a hit there but I'm thinking I'd still average 18-20 at best, maybe?

Bottom line is: that V8 is hard to pass up, no matter how "un-economical" it may be. In addition to the looks of the 5, killer combination.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My latest city driving mileage was 20.8 MPG - just refueled today. I do get 18.5 - 20 for city driving. 18-20 = way much better MPG than some A5

Just check the link below and this A5 gets 13-15 MPG in the city. I never get that low on my V8

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/adrianelliot/a5-quattro

A statis tuned A5 is getting as low as 15 - 17 MPG for city driving. Just check below.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/plyn18/a5-quattro

Last edited by ayap; 03-13-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ayap
My latest city driving mileage was 20.8 MPG - just refueled today. I do get 18.5 - 20 for city driving. 18-20 = way much better MPG than some A5

Just check the link below and this A5 gets 13-15 MPG in the city. I never get that low on my V8

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/adrianelliot/a5-quattro

A statis tuned A5 is getting as low as 15 - 17 MPG for city driving. Just check below.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/plyn18/a5-quattro
Beautiful, and thank you for all the replies man, seriously.

Quick Reply: Considering joining the Audi family - A5? S5?