Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Considering an S5 purchase -- need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an S5 purchase -- need some input.

Recently posted about a used 2010 S5 with only 4500 miles that the local dealer has here which I have been considering trading off my 645 for if they can get the numbers where I want them.

Went to the dealer and I took the car for a test drive but said I'd have to come back tomorrow for some more wheel time before I make any decisions. I had a few questions for you current S5 owners though.

I drove the car in "S" mode but it felt a little sloppy. I know in my 6 I have to go through my "startup procedure" in order to make it feel more responsive and sporty which involves enabling sport mode, disabling traction control, and throwing it in to DS (which is basically BMW's sport shifting mode for their auto trans cars for those not familiar).

Is there a similar procedure for the S5 that's more than just driving in S mode? I took it onto the interstate and gave it hell on the onramp and it just seemed to leisurely climb and didn't really seem to want to downshift when I thought it should have. The throttle response also felt a little soft. It's a totally different drive than what I'm use to so I cant say if it was good or bad -- just different. Maybe that's the just responsiveness I'm to expect from the auto? Or I guess the fact that I didn't actually throw it into manual shift mode could be the issue as well?

I know by the numbers on paper, the S5 should be a bit quicker than my 645 but I wasn't feeling it on my test drive today. Any insight other owners can provide that I can take with me on my next drive would be helpful, thanks!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Maybe you should look into Audi Drive Select. It gives you control of the steering feel, throttle response, shift points, and damper setting. I think thats the closest thing to your bmw procedure.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aalui
Maybe you should look into Audi Drive Select. It gives you control of the steering feel, throttle response, shift points, and damper setting. I think thats the closest thing to your bmw procedure.
Thanks, that looks to be about exactly what I was looking for. Looks like an optional equipment package and I assume if that specific line item isn't on the window sticker, the car does not have it?

I was going to poke around more in the menus tomorrow to see what else I could find as well -- but that leads me in a good direction.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi Drive Select should be listed on the window sticker and you should see the controls above the AC controls. The controls consist of two arrow buttons and backlit display with "Comfort", "Individual", "Auto" and "Dynamic".

To distinguish between an S5 with the full Audi Drive Select and one with the Sports Rear Differential, you will need to go into the MMI settings for ADS/Individual. If you do not see one for the suspension, then you've found one with just the SRD; otherwise, it will have the full kit. Cars with just the SRD will be listed as such on the window sticker.

Either will give you the ability to set shifting aggressiveness (on non-manual transmissions), throttle response and steering feel. ADS will add the ability to adjust steering ratios and, of course, suspension. One thing to note is that an S5 equipped with SRD or ADS will not have the "S" gate, rather select Dynamic to get the same effect.

Just out of curiosity, which transmission does your 645i have? If it has the SMG, then the S5's Tiptronic won't have the same shift engagement (computer controlled clutch will provide a more pronounced "shift" compared to a torque converter and clutch packs). At least, that was my experience (as a passenger) in an SMG-equipped 645i compared to any torque converter-equipped transmission.

BTW, the 6 series coupe is the best looking BMW and I had a chance to pick up a 4-year old M6 coupe for under $60K... but decided to order an S5 instead (I didn't quite fit perfectly in the 645i no matter the seat position).
Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the info, thats exactly what I was curious about. The S5 in question doesnt list either of those options on the window sticker and it does have the S gate. I assume S is the best its going to get in auto mode.

My 6 does not have the SMG, just the usual 6 speed auto. While going for a drive tonight, I tried to figure out just what it was that felt so different and I think its the BMWs rev matching with Sport and DS enabled, and it's constant attention to the RPM band and gear changes. It seems my car really likes to downshift and engine brake which makes the gas pedal feel so much more responsive since its always in the proper gear to take off again. Now, that being said, I would assume the same effect could be reached if I put the S5 in manual mode and keep the revs where I want them on my own... but I'll give that a shot tomorrow when I go back to take the car for a couple hours.

I agree on the styling of the 6 series, however, its definitely a love it or hate it design for most people it seems. I personally love the car, however, lately its spent more time with things broken than not (Im sure due to its age) and I've been beginning to think its time for a change. I'm coming up on the need for new brake pads and rotors which will end up being a $2000 visit to the shop so another reason I might like to look around a bit. I began looking at the S5 due to the fact that I could at least use the car in the milder of winter days up here if I wanted to, where the 6 is... mildly usable at best in only light snow. My past Audi's have always been champions in the winter months up here...

Thanks again for the input, its been greatly helpful. We'll see how a couple hours in the drivers seat treats me tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

The fact that neither are mentioned on the window sticker and there is an "S" gate selector means that the S5 does not have either. I would definitely give the paddles a shot and choosing "S" for convenience (I don't have paddles on my A4, but I'll keep it in "S" when zooming through the west hills of Portland and it helps keep the revs near the sweet spot for torque).

The dampened feel of the Tiptronic is the reason why I opted for the manual (which may or may not come back to bite me someday). Another option, if you're open to it, is to go for an S5 cabriolet. It has the S-Tronic dual-clutch transmission and it has a better feel than the Tiptronic. Of course, the problem there is trying to find one used and it will command a higher price than the coupe.

Another contribution to the sloppy feel might be the wind up inherent in most all-wheel drive set ups, rather than having 100% of the power send directly (without a center differential or the next parts required to move all four wheels) to the rear of your 645i. Not sure how much of effect it is, though I found it a tad bit more apparent in a 335xi right after being in a 335i.

Regarding the style of 6 series, it definitely is polarizing, but I find it unique and eye-catching (in a good way)... not to mention, the side profile is spot on for a BMW. I might also be crazy and evil to think the X6 looks good as well, but I prefer the S5 sportback a bit more.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by questionlp
I might also be crazy and evil to think the X6 looks good as well, but I prefer the S5 sportback a bit more.
I also must be crazy (and probably evil too) because I think the X6 looks great -- however that seems to be an offense punishable by caning (or worse) in most circles so I'll keep that fact to myself from this point forward.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I never felt sloppy in sprot mode. I don't have drive select and the S is just fine. The only annoying thing taht I can't figure out is why it doesn't indicate what gear the trans is in when in D or S. I have an a4 loaner and it told you what gear it was in. I'd just like to know before I go slapping the paddles around