Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Coolant Reservoir problems HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Reservoir problems HELP ASAP

These past couple of months I’ve notice coolant leaking near my left axle
and also when I try to fill my reservoir the coolant doesn’t last a day in there it’s empty by the end of the day it. I sometimes smell burnt coolant as well when I drive l .I also notice that the rear thin tube tube the one closest to the oil filter is loose but it’s plugged up is it suppose to be loose Like that because it’s just hanging out
even tho it’s plugged up I feel like it should be connect somewhere someone help please
(pics are for show)
Old 08-01-2018, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This needs to be connected right
Old 08-03-2018, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default sure looks like that plastic tube is fubar'd.

Originally Posted by OuttieS5
Consider getting a new one to connect to the rubber line. The line is just an overboard dump (so you don't get that coolant smell when the expansion tank pukes excess coolant. FWIW, the expansion tank isn't supposed to puke coolant...if it does you've likely got other issues like a head gasket or other combustion gas leak going on. If the expansion tank is filled below the MAX line is shouldn't puke coolant. You could also have a bad expansion tank cap. The cap can be tested with the right Start tool and adapter, but it's a LOT less expensive to just replace the cap.
You might want tø test for combustion tank gases in the coolant. Here's one source:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...iABEgIcIPD_BwE

combustion leak detector

I repeat...the expansion tank shouldn't puke coolant.
The following users liked this post:
mikeru (09-14-2023)
Old 08-03-2018, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's tough to tell from the photo, but it appears the supply line from the coolant bottle (the one in your hand in the photo) is completely snapped off from the Intake Manifold Adapter. If indeed that is the issue, there is no way to "fix" the existing adapter, the part needs to be replaced. Coincidentally, I dealt with the exact same problem with my S5 only two days ago. I replaced the adapter and PCV/oil separator.

If your engine is the 4.2L CAUA (which again looks to be the case based on the photos) ... the part number for the Intake Manifold Adapter is 079133424S

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2018, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Consider getting a new one to connect to the rubber line. The line is just an overboard dump (so you don't get that coolant smell when the expansion tank pukes excess coolant. FWIW, the expansion tank isn't supposed to puke coolant...if it does you've likely got other issues like a head gasket or other combustion gas leak going on. If the expansion tank is filled below the MAX line is shouldn't puke coolant. You could also have a bad expansion tank cap. The cap can be tested with the right Start tool and adapter, but it's a LOT less expensive to just replace the cap.
You might want tø test for combustion tank gases in the coolant. Here's one source:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...iABEgIcIPD_BwE

combustion leak detector

I repeat...the expansion tank shouldn't puke coolant.
Not very familiar with the coolant system on these cars, but there should be a coolant pump and a sensor.If either of these are not working, the coolant will boil over. Its a bit less severe than a leaking cylinder head gasket - I imagine there would be some codes that might give a clue.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

These past couple of months I’ve notice coolant leaking near my left axle
and also when I try to fill my reservoir the coolant doesn’t last a day in there it’s empty by the end of the day it. I sometimes smell burnt coolant as well when I drive l .I also notice that the rear thin tube tube the one closest to the oil filter is loose but it’s plugged up is it suppose to be loose Like that because it’s just hanging out
even tho it’s plugged up I feel like it should be connect somewhere someone help please
(pics are for show)
By any chance did you fix it in also struggling with it