Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Could someone please test something for me? Does your valet key open all locks on the car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No. Never leave the emergency key in the car. Keep it at home in a safe place. The adapter you can

leave in the glove box. You don't want people stealing your car with the emergency key from the glove box.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic key is a so-called "wallet key" that you can carry on you and use in emergencies...

Plastic key is a so-called "wallet key" that you can carry on you and use in emergencies to open the car door (it fits in the drivers lock) as well as insert it into the adapter in the glove box and then insert this adapter into the keyfob hole and start the car.

Audi has had these black plastic "wallet keys" for a long time, but the new adapter for use in an A5/A4 that don't start with an actual key is a new feature.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:42 AM

Default But that's what bugs me.... what's the logic of leaving the adapter

in the glove box? This is a non-issue and it's just the OCD, ****-retentive part of me wondering, but what's the thinking for the little compartment in the glove box to hold the adapter (when the emergency key is at home in a safe place)?

Is there ANY purpose at all to having the adapter with the car without the key?
Old 07-06-2008, 11:45 AM

Default Actually, I think local3 answered the question by calling it a "wallet key"

it makes sense to have the adapter in the car if you're carrying the emergency key in your wallet!

Thanks local3 - OCD put to rest...
Old 07-06-2008, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Default An answer

You keep the flat plastic part in your wallet. The faux fob is kept in the glove box (because it won't fit in your wallet).

If you can open the doors with the flat key by itself, why do you need the silly fob, you ask?

Because the ignition needs a physical fob inserted into it to work; the flat key won't start the car by itself.

Complicated? - yes.
Useless? - sorta.
Ability to generate tons of posts? - priceless.

'There is no such thing as a stupid question. Only inquisitive idiots.'
Old 07-08-2008, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: But that's what bugs me.... what's the logic of leaving the adapter

If you keep the emergency key on you, like in your wallet, you want it to take up as little room as possible. You leave the non-essential part (the adapter) in the car for when you need to use it, and you just have to keep the critical part.

I'll admit, if you're just going to leave the emergency key at home as I do, it doesn't really matter. But this way, Audi has given us an option.