Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Deal advice on the S5 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deal advice on the S5 Cabriolet

Hey all
My first time here
Looking to buy my first Audi
2 questions for your advice -

1. The A5 cab has everything I need but not enough power. Is upgrading to the s5 cab a good idea or not worth the price?

2. What's a good deal on the s5 cabriolet? Looking to order a new one to spec and want to get a sense of what's a good deal? How much below invoice? I am in SoCal.
Thanks much
Old 12-04-2011, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I originally ordered an A5 cab, and later changed my mind and bought an S5 cab.

The power on the S5 is much better than on the A5. Also, the S5 has the S-Tronic transmission vs. the A5's Tiptronic, and I find it to be a significant improvement.

However, I find the S5's ride to be annoyingly stiff (though if you bought an A5 with sport suspension you'd have basically the same thing). I also personally like the "cinnamon brown" leather available on the A5 a lot better than the "Tuscan brown" it's replaced with on my S5.

Whether it's worth the cost or not, I can't say for you. I think you really need to drive an S5 to see how you like it.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default S5 For Sure

Originally Posted by FirstAudiGuy
Hey all
My first time here
Looking to buy my first Audi
2 questions for your advice -

1. The A5 cab has everything I need but not enough power. Is upgrading to the s5 cab a good idea or not worth the price?

2. What's a good deal on the s5 cabriolet? Looking to order a new one to spec and want to get a sense of what's a good deal? How much below invoice? I am in SoCal.
Thanks much
Power : The S5 Supercharged V-6 is waaay better than the Turbo 4 on the A5. Quick as anything but very decent mileage if you don't bury the gas peddle at every stop lite. I love the Sport Differential option, well worth it.

Amenities : The Prestige pkg is worth it also. B&O sound system, keyless ignition, awesome Sports Seats with fantastic support, appearance, and premium soft leather, and more.

Pricing : Go to TRUECar.com This site will show what the Best and Average pricing for your model and options, total, is selling in your area. Print it out so you have it if you choose to use it in your negotiations. It should show approx. $2700-$2900 off MSRP. If your dealer won't agree to that explain that tons of Audi buyers are getting this then show them the printout.

Best of luck.

I LOVE my S5 more than any car I ever owned or dreamed about.
It's not a car..............it's a Gemstone.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sharding
I originally ordered an A5 cab, and later changed my mind and bought an S5 cab.

The power on the S5 is much better than on the A5. Also, the S5 has the S-Tronic transmission vs. the A5's Tiptronic, and I find it to be a significant improvement.

However, I find the S5's ride to be annoyingly stiff (though if you bought an A5 with sport suspension you'd have basically the same thing). I also personally like the "cinnamon brown" leather available on the A5 a lot better than the "Tuscan brown" it's replaced with on my S5.

Whether it's worth the cost or not, I can't say for you. I think you really need to drive an S5 to see how you like it.
Thanks. But doesn't the drive select option on the s5 address the stiffness issue you have? Comfort mode for easy riding like a a5 vs the others for for performance oriented driving?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PeterJay
Power : The S5 Supercharged V-6 is waaay better than the Turbo 4 on the A5. Quick as anything but very decent mileage if you don't bury the gas peddle at every stop lite. I love the Sport Differential option, well worth it.

Amenities : The Prestige pkg is worth it also. B&O sound system, keyless ignition, awesome Sports Seats with fantastic support, appearance, and premium soft leather, and more.

Pricing : Go to TRUECar.com This site will show what the Best and Average pricing for your model and options, total, is selling in your area. Print it out so you have it if you choose to use it in your negotiations. It should show approx. $2700-$2900 off MSRP. If your dealer won't agree to that explain that tons of Audi buyers are getting this then show them the printout.

Best of luck.

I LOVE my S5 more than any car I ever owned or dreamed about.
It's not a car..............it's a Gemstone.

I LOVE my S5 Cab, with 6K on it I am finally getting good gas mileage. Highway 65-70 mph right on 27-28 mpg. Can't complain about that. The ride is excellent with tires set at door jamb spec's. You will find the book and the jamb aren't even close as far as the spec's. The car is 15 months old and not a single problem or any top or seat wear. Would I but another one, in a second!

Prior I had a 335, tons of problems with the Run Flats and prior to that a Audi 1.8 CHIPPED. The chip made a hugh difference. If you get a A5 chip it and get an S line version.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just bought a left over new 2011 model year Lexus IS for my daughter via TrueCar- the deal was $3500 below dealer INVOICE including end of year manufacturer " trunk money " to dealer , i.e, $7K off MSRP .

Ended up paying less than what they were asking for a used 2010 on the lot with 20K miles with less equipment !

Called the sales mgr and he said they have to honor the true Car print out as a participating dealer .

Printed it out , took it in , and deal was done in " seconds " .
Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an S5 for a week after having the standard A5. I hated the ride and I traded it back in to get back to where I was. I LOVED the way the S5 ran but the ride and the standard sport seats were two things that I couldn't deal with.
I wish the A5 had more power. Driving in the S mode makes it perform better. I keep hearing about "chipping" the car. I also would like some more exhaust note too which the S5 has. Loved that.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

I have never test driven an A5 Cab, but I absolutely love my S5 Cab and am now on my second one. I didn't get much off my '10 S5 Cab because they were brand new then, and my '11 S5 Cab was a special order with Audi Exclusive paint. The dealer did knock off the extra $2,500 for the exclusive paint. You will do a lot better in negotiating for one on the lot, but at least in my area I haven't seen many.

I don't find the ride stiff at all, and I do mostly local driving on Dallas' potholed roads. The ride with our G37 Convertible w/ Sport package is much more stiff and the tires transmit a lot more road noise. The S5 is really quiet. I have the Sport Differential, which allows settings in Comfort, Auto and Sport, and I find the Comfort setting to be wallowy with very vague steering. I usually keep it in Auto unless I want to take off quickly from a light or take a corner quickly. Comfort doesn't work for me.

IMO, the S5 Cab is worth every extra penny, and if I trade again it will most likely be for another one. Again, I haven't driven an A5 Cab, but the power and instant torque with the 3.0 Supercharged engine makes me never want to.

Did I say I love my S5 Cab?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FirstAudiGuy
Thanks. But doesn't the drive select option on the s5 address the stiffness issue you have? Comfort mode for easy riding like a a5 vs the others for for performance oriented driving?
Yes, Drive Select would probably address it. I didn't opt for it (I do have the Sport Diff), and if I were doing it again, I probably would. (Well, in reality, if I were doing it again I wouldn't buy this car, but you know what I mean...)
Old 12-05-2011, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

S5 is worth it...Add Stasis tuning and its incredible (400hp under warranty). I do not miss my RS6 other than the exhaust. I bought one barely used CPO and saved $10K. Plenty out there you can probably find one close to what you want. Very little wears or breaks on thios car so worth it to find used. Mine is prestige level which is needed for gadgets but no drive select and i do not miss it. Car is how I like it as set up.

Quick Reply: Deal advice on the S5 Cabriolet