Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Dealer Demo Discount?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Demo Discount?

What are some either actual or hypothetical discounts to purchase a demo s5. I found one in-stock at an out of town location.

s5 - drive assist, prestige auto with a little under 1K miles and it has (i think it was a venture shield) the lights, fog lights, door jams, bumpers and half hood wrapped. - they took off around $1K for it but I told them they were higher than a new car with sport diff and drive assist. then they came down another 500ish but still higher than my previous number. difference is that this one i can drive home today vs waiting till next year 1Q for factory built delivery. same colors (exterior and interior).

i'm almost ready to just put the chase on hold until next year but this is the last effort. been going on for a while because the interior (tuscan brown) isn't the most common with a Meteor Gray or Deep Sea Blue unless available after a customer backed out.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

If they only took $1500 off of MSRP for a demo then you probably need to find another dealer. That attitude is indicative of what they would charge for a new one.

I would throw a price at them of $3500 under MSRP and leave your number. Tell them you are going to keep looking.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

BTW, customer get emotionally attached to these cars and the opportunity to purchase. To the dealer they are just commodities and they get tired of looking at the same cars everyday. At some point the cost of money having that car on the lot outweighs giving you a fair price. I'm usually prepared to walk on every negotiation if I don't get a fair deal. Living that philosophy is sometime harder than to talk about it.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I fully agree. that is my stance on any negotiations (havent gotten married so that may be an outlier) but I walk in fully prepared to walk out.

already called them back to turn it down this morning.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My friend just brought a dealer demo , BMW X6 '09 demo, with 7000 miles, and got $8000 dollars off.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acadia
My friend just brought a dealer demo , BMW X6 '09 demo, with 7000 miles, and got $8000 dollars off.
7,000 miles demo ? I think that's more like a certified pre-owned than a demo.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Careful with demos. You have no idea how the break in went, who actual drove it, whether it filled in for test drives (this is common with demos), etc etc. Keep in mind test drives are normally aggressive or abusive acts. Everyone wants to see how powerful the engine is and how well it can corner and brake. Not that a demo can't be a good idea, just ask a lot of questions.
And yes, they should be giving way more off sticker. That is even semi-rediculous for a new one.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yea, demos are the best car to purchase. They are pretty one step away from buying a used rental car except the mileage is much lower normally. With good maintenance, all cars should last for a very long time but just a head up that people trashes demo cars a lot.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's considered a demo, as the only owner was the dealership, and it under 10,000 miles, these are usually executive demo's. Basically, BMW execs get to drive around the latest car for a specified amount of time, BMW sells them at the end of the year, usually, they have anywhere from 1500-4000 miles on it, basically, the owner of this dealership let his wife drive it around for a good bit of the year, but I mean it was in pristine condition, they even took out the floor mats, so as to not mess them up, and had been using rubber ones or something, and all the new stickers, warning labels, etc ... were still on it, it really was brand new, atleast if no one told you they hadn't just picked up off the boat you wouldn't have known (BMW trucks of course are made in South Carolina, but you get my point). It was a hell of deal! Actually, they took off more than 8 it was $10K off, basically, $67K car for $57K, you can't beat that deal, I don't care what you say!
Old 11-15-2009, 03:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i called and gave my number that i'd pay. they still were off by a couple hundred. at the end of the day, i am fine waiting rather than rushing in/impulse buying.

Sure enough the number I had to talk them down to (but still higher than my number) is what it is currently listing for...

Quick Reply: Dealer Demo Discount?