Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Dealer doesn't want to sell A5 out of state!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer doesn't want to sell A5 out of state!

I'm trying to purchase an A5 in CA as I'm in Oregon. No dealers in the NW has what I'm looking for except for in CA. The dealer there is giving me an incredibly hard time selling me the car. They're saying that since I'm out of state, they can't release the MCO (manufacturer certificate of origin). I have to have it titled in CA then transfer it to OR. They're concerned that I'm going to export it out of country but that's about the last thing I'd do. My S4 lease is ending real soon and we've just finally decided to purchase the A5 since the lease terms are so bad now. Any thoughts? Really unusual situation as I got my S4 from another Audi dealer in CA 3 yrs ago without any problems.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That is not the real reason I would imagine..

I am sure that they don't get the benefits of advertising their dealership if you are driving their car in Oregon! Not very good business practice if you ask me
Old 09-20-2008, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default They're having a lot of problems with unauthorized exporting these days...

My local dealer told me he's getting several calls a week from all over the world wanting to buy Audis and BMWs sight unseen. The dealer can lose its franchise if its cars get exported. It's a huge problem. The folks at Audi HQ when I picked up my A5 in Ingolstadt also talked about it, as there are people who try to pick up ED just to keep it in Europe (even with the VAT, it's still tens of thousands cheaper).

When the dollar was strong a few years ago, it was going the other way. In particular, lots of people were buying cars in Canada and re-selling them in the U.S. The various manufacturers responded differently, many saying they wouldn't honor warranties, controlling ability to change from metric to US gauges, etc. There was even a massive antitrust suit against the whole auto industry alleging that they colluded to keep the cars out.

I totally understand your frustration, but I'd try to work it through with them. They could get in serious trouble with Audi of America if they cut corners.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default talk to someone at your dealer. and get them to do the work transferring

that's how i do it
Old 09-20-2008, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It takes work on the part of both dealers. Sad to say, but nobody works for free. On the

other hand, might be cheaper than flying to said dealer in Cali and the gas to drive home, let alone the hassles of getting your sales tax reimbursed.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:36 PM

Default Re: talk to someone at your dealer. and get them to do the work transferring

My local dealer is relatively small and there are only 2 dealers in the state. I can't imaging there is much they'd want to trade/transfer. I was absolutely grilled on the whole exporting issue and read the whole riot act on this despite giving the VIN and AFS acct number on my lease expiring this month. What I don't understand is why they can't release the MCO and why it has to be titled in CA before coming to OR if it doesn't even hit the pavement in CA. I got in touch with another dealer in CA (right options, wrong color) who was willing to sell it to me without titling it in CA. Pretty frustrating.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Utter garbage. CA has a 1-trip permit they can give you to make it legal for you taking

the car back to OR.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Total BS, I'm in Illinois and i was going to buy an S5 out of CA, No issues.

As April says below the only strange thing is paying sales tax anyway in CA that then is sent back to you after you properly pay for and title your car in your state. That set up i do not get.