Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Deals - or lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default you go grrrl!...

you put that poster in his/her place, in a nice way, of course.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

April :-)
Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $ / per month

Let's say you wait two years for "supply to increase" [not likely] and/or "demand to go down" [also not likely if supply doesn't increase...

But let's say those two things happen in two years - which is conservative since there is still a 6-9 month wait on the car.

And you save $1000. How much was that over 24 months. That means you saved $41.66 a month.

Me? I prefer to shut off a few of the stupid movie packages on my cable and use the money to get out and enjoy my life.

I've really changed my spending behavior to favor big things that I will enjoy and stopped buying basically all meaningless crap that I wouldn't.

I buy snapple [some may recall my album where I favor glass to recycle] in gross cases - right there that's a savings of 40 bucks. And I wasn't kidding when I say I kicked my cable down to basic.

Anyhow, just a perspective.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default +1 ... thats precisely the line of thinking (and action) that I employed

to enable a big ticket purchase like this relatively earlier in life! Needless to mention, this car adds so much more meaning and excitement to my life than some of the meaningless small monthly expenses that add up and which i have easily learned to live without! Financial planning over longer horizons is important, at the same time, not lose sight of those day to day expenses that can so easily add up! Wholesale shopping for monthly gtoceries, discount coupons in the mail, a good credit card rewards program etc. easily make (save) you extra money and keeps debt within comfort limits.

As Pericles mentioned, its just another personal opinion.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Choosing the right car - popular or not - is very important IMHO. It's a huge financial

commitment - and it always ends up depreciating. So the one you enjoy the most and will get bored with least, thus keeping it longer, is the one that will save you money.

I've kept my old Alfa 17 out of it's 21 years. I've driven it 200K miles myself. The worst year for maintenance was $3K. That's $250 a month. It was an expensive car for me back when I bought it. But I drove it exclusively for many years still enjoy it today. That to me is the difference between a good value vs a good deal.

You can go out and buy a Saab or other less widely desired car at a substantial discount. But if that isn't the car you wanted or liked to begin with, that discount means virtually nothing a short time after the deal is concluded - you now need to live with the car. Especially since that discount means an equal if not greater discount to resale value almost immediately - so long term savings are nil at best.

Buy a car, not a discount.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default +1 also.... and a good story.

buying a car is so much more than just buying another material object.

This is the vehicle that will transport you and other loved ones.

For me, I ONLY purchase cars with four wheel drive.
I think the safety of being able to get around in snow and rain [at least better] is well worth the premium.

Personally, I'm a very attentive and safe driver. So, responsiveness is as important a safety feature to me as an airbag.

I don't really know how, but I once made it through a multi-car accident that ended up happening in front of me and I was able to steer around and get through the mayhem - which includes - YES a corvette tire in the air heading straight for my car. I was able to accelerate to get under the arc of the tire in time. The accident closed all three lanes of the highway and I ended up giving some first aid to several people - from the other side.

This was in my original E320 Merc, which I have deep respect for. Had I been in a lesser car I'm not sure I could have gotten through it...
Old 07-21-2008, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: A dealer who charges MSRP is not a "stealer" any more than a customer who pays under MSRP

Sorry but I beg to disagree- making a profit is one thing but jacking prices up to charge more than a car is worth is as bad as scalping tickets and ripping people off.

Audis are nice but not worth pay twice as much just because they came out with a new model like the S5/A5 and R8. And yes- I can afford one if I really want to pay 20k more than what Infiniti charges, 10k more than BMW and so forth. Nah- just wait buy used one with 10k miles and save myself 20k.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: you go grrrl!...

And you are an idiot.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Choosing the right car - popular or not - is very important IMHO. It's a huge financial

Yep thats true. Hmm wonder when Alfa is making return to the US market. I hear that the Alfa Brera will be here in 2010-2012 time for sale.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default back at ya!...

nothing wrong if you can't afford fine German engineering. I'm sure Infiniti would love your business...

Quick Reply: Deals - or lack thereof