Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Deals - or lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A dealer who charges MSRP is not a "stealer" any more than a customer who pays under MSRP

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but a dealer works for his/her money the same as I do for mine. He/she will work for his/her money by working to keep the figure higher while I will work to bring it lower. Why would anyone pay more of their hard earned money for something than they have to pay? The decision has been made - this is the vehicle for me. But I truly believe it would make me a fool or a "jerk off" to walk in without having done my homework to get the fairest price. Hence the title of the process - negotiation. Otherwise it would just be a sale like a big box store - pay what the price tag states or don't buy. To not negotiate the price of a car, in my opinion, would be like offering list price or more on a house without seeing what the comps are in the neighborhood - it is just throwing money away. Not all dealers are upfront about their pricing. Not all customers are looking for a fair price - some are looking for a steal. There are extremes on both sides, but I think trying to determine what is reasonable in the current market is far from "mooching." Regardless, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. *shrug*

Owners who are comfortable sharing their dealer experiences, please continue to do so even though some oddities have occurred in the thread - it is still very helpful and greatly appreciated!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Missing my point

I can pay 80k if I wanted to for a new car- my point is why overpay? That is just plain stupid.

Face it- folks on here do not want to admit that they are being ripped off for a new car that they could have waited to pay under sticker price for if they were more patient. The S5 should cost 55k max not 65k. Just like the RS4 costs more than the new M3 or new C63 AMG which amazes me.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default So when is it ok to price gouge consumers?

Answer: never.

At least if you are an ethical business person but sounds like many Audi dealers are not ethical. Of course since I own a BMW, I see same problem with BMW dealers. BUT- I can negotiate a lot better on BMW cars than Audi cars based on dealers whom I have spoken with. Only because Audi has a "hot" car now with the A5/S5 and R8. Will be interesting to see what happens when the redesign BMW supercar and new models come out from BMW and Porsche how Audi fares.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Why dont you go ahead and spend YOUR money the way you want...

and let other folks here spend THEIR money the way THEY want?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default *Feebly raises hand* I know I want an A5 and I have zero patience!

I want the car and I want it now! LOL
Old 07-21-2008, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What exactly is "overpaying"?

Price is a function of supply and demand. To say that you are "overpaying" for a car because it is new dosent make any sense. Thats like saying if I build a new house to my own specifications I would just be throwing money away instead of buying an old house. Just because you are too cheap to pay MSRP for the car you want which is a brand new model in very high demand dosen't mean the people that aren't are wasteful.

And in the RS4's defense it is more expensive than M3 and the C63 but it's also a better car. It may not have the latest clutchles gearbox, keyless starting, or the most up to date I-pod interface but the car is an animal on the road.
Also it's alot more esoteric than the M3 and the AMG which i think is a big plus. We have one in our showroom right now and most people are completly oblivious to it's capabilities. The most common reaction to it is "why is that car so expensive?"
Old 07-21-2008, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's only fair that if the consumer can ask for UNDER msrp on low demand cars, a dealer should

be able to ask over msrp on high demand items. It's only fair in free market economy.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default So when is it fair for people to expect to pay less than others for the same car?

There are some incredibly nice people who suck at negotiation, but deserve a discount based on other merits. I hate the present system where the bigger the jerk, the more chance they have at getting a discount. I will say that a very few people do an excellent job at negotiating without creating resentments or taking it personally. They usually own a successful bussines themselves. Most often A8 buyers.

Yes, hot cars regardless of brand, go for market value. I would rather see all cars sell for slightly less margin, but without any negotiation. That way the focus would be on service rather than seeing who can be be more clever or have the hotter product.

As it stands, the most obnoxious usually gets a deal, and the nice people do not. I don't like being part of that system. When I sold cars, I tried my best to avoid that.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

lol!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

To be sold via MINI showrooms apparently.

Quick Reply: Deals - or lack thereof